Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Recoil Brake Noise

Top Member Remington 5R .300 Win Mag's Avatar
    Obviously A Different Planet To The One You Bastards Are On!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    On a range setting, I would prefer the type that can be shut off to minimise the noise. I'm there for a public service effectively, it's not nice when you have to stand behind the shooters as the safety person and you are getting the snot beaten out of you by someone's loudener. After 500 rounds or more it just gets tiresome and I can suck up recoil with the best of them. A day of continuous muzzle brake blast effect slapping you is a couple of rounds with a gorilla with a log...

It is extremely noticeable the difference between the suppressor types, calibres, barrel lengths etc and brakes are in a class by themselves I can tell you!
    Shit, I was thinking of getting one of these things, now you're putting me off!

I currently own an unbreaked Remington 5R Milspec in .300 Winchester Magnum (as the name suggests) firing 208g A-Max bullets at around 2980fps, and I fairly recently took a 20 year old girl out with it and she hadn't fired anything more than a .22 LR before! She sat down at the range and the first shot blew her hat clean off of her head! She then fired the other two shots and the three shots in total measured <3/4" at 100m. I then gave her a flinch test whereby she only battered an eyelid, then I took her out to the field where she shot her first deer at 350 meters!

The point I'm trying to make here is that if a 20 y/o girl who's never fired anything greater than a .22LR before, can do all that with an unbreaked magnum, then (despite the screams and cries from all the pussies out there) you don't really need a "loudner" on the end of your barrel... I was just thinking it was going to make the whole experience a hell of a lot better that's all!
    Shearer likes this.
    "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"!

MSL
    Plenty of people use brakes on rifles for hunting and never go to official ranges so offending people is not an issue for everyone
    BRADS likes this.

Top Member Remington 5R .300 Win Mag's Avatar
    Obviously A Different Planet To The One You Bastards Are On!
    Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Plenty of people use brakes on rifles for hunting and never go to official ranges so offending people is not an issue for everyone
    Clearly Mr. Mauser is not a fan, however, your point is duly noted! The range is one place where I was expecting a brake to be beneficial, especially when indulging in load development and at our local NZDA range you generally have to book it for yourself anyway, so for me, making it unpleasant for others shouldn't really be a problem, the only thing is if is gonna be detrimental (in the ways Mr. Mauser was speaking) to me, the shooter!
    "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"!

MSL

Recoil Brake Noise

A lightweight overbore magnum is certainly a lot nicer to shoot with one

Quote Originally Posted by Remington 5R .300 Win Mag View Post
    Clearly Mr. Mauser is not a fan, however, your point is duly noted! The range is one place where I was expecting a brake to be beneficial, especially when indulging in load development and at our local NZDA range you generally have to book it for yourself anyway, so for me, making it unpleasant for others shouldn't really be a problem, the only thing is if is gonna be detrimental (in the ways Mr. Mauser was speaking) to me, the shooter!
    I have one of gregs brakes and its not at all noisy to shoop with aslong you you were good muffs.
    If your 5 feet eather side is much worse then behind.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    I have one of gregs brakes and its not at all noisy to shoop with aslong you you were good muffs.
    If your 5 feet eather side is much worse then behind.
    And amazingly effective
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

do you guys remember the Browning Boss systems??????/ mate had it on a .25/06 and we went out after wallabies
    all went well till he fired the first shot,we didn't get bugger all after that as the dogs couldn't keep running once they had tucked their paws into their ears!!!!!!!!!!!
    that was enough for me
    had a guy on range with same rifle in .30/06 and it was very unpleasant we tried taping up ports even putting aluminium off coke can on first but she blew all that away too, not a nice rifle to be around, now poke a suppressor on it and it would be fine, I get AROUND the length issue by keeping can in back pack while travelling through thick scrub or carry rifle slung across front of body with muzzle (can on) out right side above shoulder which puts my left hand right by the pistol grip,I find it pleasant enough to carry this way as it balances nicely.