Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: recommendations for Goat Rifle

recommendations for Goat Rifle

Hey all, new to the forum and this is my first post

I've been doing a little digging and I think i am looking for a .223 solution to the goat question with a 1/8 barrel. I would be interested in others' views/recommendations.

I have also started reloading, and i think with today shortages this may also be a fairly common rifle to get reloading supplies for.

Cheers
    D

Howa Mini, Ruger American, Tikka T3. Whatever tickles your fancy and fits your budget.
    Waldo Peens likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Add savage to that list very underrated functional rifles
    tetawa and Jaco Goosen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Davel72 View Post
    Hey all, new to the forum and this is my first post

I've been doing a little digging and I think i am looking for a .223 solution to the goat question with a 1/8 barrel. I would be interested in others' views/recommendations.

I have also started reloading, and i think with today shortages this may also be a fairly common rifle to get reloading supplies for.

Cheers
    D
    yes you have a wide choice and dont forget .222 equally as good as .223 on goats - some oldies to keep an eye out for Remington 788 ( good ones are tack drivers ) and Remington 700 especially the model seven - Tikka LSA 55 and 595 well made and usually very accurate - BRNO Fox was good - BSA Hunter very nice - and all the new ones large choice there and all okay - Bergara have a reputation for accuracy -and Howa well made its what you like
    Micky Duck and Husky1600#2 like this.

I run a Savage 22-250 for this, takes the same powder and primers as my 308 and is a great option, I prefer it to the Tikka 223 that's in my safe
    Barry the hunter likes this.
    Happy Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    I run a Savage 22-250 for this, takes the same powder and primers as my 308 and is a great option, I prefer it to the Tikka 223 that's in my safe
    yes I have used 22.250 on goats and very effective- just so much more grunt than a .222 - we tried to get ammo supplied back in Forest Service days but no - probably good as would have been a lot more deaf now - they certainly go off

STC
    Something short, and supressed.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    52gr-60gr HP projectile is ideal for goats. I've shot over a thousand with the 223 & have mates done likewise and we soon settled on HP's for best results. A goat is generally a lightly framed animal that doesn't need a hard projectile. Yes a tuff old billy can take a bit of lead but they will fall to a well placed single shot just like a nanny if you do your part correctly.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Just about any 222 or 223 rifle will do the job, most are pretty accurate. Ammo running 50-55 gr soft points is all you need plus lots of accuracy practice. I’ve shot thousands over the years without problems in these calibers. As posted yesterday on other thread, 58 goats for 6 misses and two that needed second shot over two days, they do the job.
    6x47 and Micky Duck like this.

Im usually taking the grendel out these days if im after goats.

223 great choice with a suppressor. Hard to look past a Tikka, especially if your want to customise it later on down the line.

I'm running a short suppressed mauser M18 as a fallow and goat gun with hornady 55gr training ammo.
    Works a treat
    Using Tapatalk

300 blk and 6.5 Grendel are worth considering too. Both will give you a bit more operating span. But nothing wrong with the .223. Keep an eye out for a Zastava bolt action in .223 too. That is an underrated option that hasn’t been suggested yet.

Whatever you do decide to get, if there is option for a micro action, go for that.

The other thing worth considering is that the more popular options (such as Howa mini) have more aftermarket support. You have more options for scope mounting, replacement stocks, alterations to bottom metal etc.

Are you new to hunting in general, or just looking to try something different?
    Micky Duck and blip like this.

A .223 on goats is a good round , but is hardly worth reloading for with the bulk Belmont ammunition available . But if you want to go down the reloading avenue there are better more versatile rounds depending on your needs .
    So the real question you need to ask is what sort of round will suit the type of hunting you will be doing ? , and how versatile do you want it to be ?.

Walking my rifle
    in the current climatte. 223 howa mini with a bunch of spare mags. in past times, 223 AR15 with lots of mags
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.