Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By Tech
  • 1 Post By omark
  • 2 Post By Hurricane
  • 1 Post By zimmer

Thread: Recommended cleaning rods

Recommended cleaning rods

I'm in the market for a nice cleaning rod that and wanted to know which ones you all recommend.
    It looks like both the "Tipton 1-Piece Deluxe Cleaning Rod" and "Hoppes Elite Carbon Fibre Rod" would be good options, but wanted to hear what you all think.

buy once and cry once...muti part rods just dont last as well as a good solid steel one piece.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Iv not long bought a nice 1 piece carbon one then spotted its counder psrt which had a permanent bore guide on it which I wished I had seen first mines bloody good but the later tickles my fancy more

My Tipton Deluxe carbon fibre rod is still going strong after many years and countless number of barrels cleaned. I opted for a 44 inch rod which allows the jag to be out the muzzle while the handle is still behind the butt of even a 26" barreled rifle.
    zimmer, 7mil08, Moa Hunter and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    I'm in the market for a nice cleaning rod that and wanted to know which ones you all recommend.
    It looks like both the "Tipton 1-Piece Deluxe Cleaning Rod" and "Hoppes Elite Carbon Fibre Rod" would be good options, but wanted to hear what you all think.
    Parker hale “plastic coated” cleaning rod. It will last a lifetime
    Woody likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    Parker hale “plastic coated” cleaning rod. It will last a lifetime
    agree - just got two new ones - they have a proper jag and not just a cruddy plastic loop for rags - last for years -one I just replaced must have been well over 40 years old - not cheap now but worth it

Just got a stainless hoppes one I think it was had it for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    agree - just got two new ones - they have a proper jag and not just a cruddy plastic loop for rags - last for years -one I just replaced must have been well over 40 years old - not cheap now but worth it
    My oldest PH rod is for a long Tom and is 1920s vintage with Bakelite handle

I picked up a couple sizes of the PRO-SHOT STAINLESS STEEL CLEANING ROD https://www.deltamike.co.nz/product/...-cleaning-rod/
    Wanted stainless & 1 piece.. these met the brief

Happy with them so far (first use)

Dewey rods are awesome.
    gqhoon and Joshy like this.
    The member formally known as Spitfire

Just be aware if buying fiber style rods that the fibers can end up in your hand. Usually at great velocity, dont know it from personal experience but I have heard a few cry about it.

Don't know where this came from and know of nobody that has had it happen to. No doubt there is a risk but when Tipton introduced their rod to the US military they demonstrated its strength and return to straightness by bending it in a half circle.

I've got Boretech and Tipton. I like the Tipton because if you bugger up and get a patch stuck you can safely hammer the back of the handle. They are designed like that so no damage can be done to the bearings. And hammer I have and have yet to have one shatter.

The situation with rods gets down to the age old argument as to whether to use a coated rod (Tipton to me falls into the coated class) or a polished stainless steel.
    It's like the FLS versus NS "discussions", they will go on for ever.

Parker Hale rods - were just about all you could get way back. I buggered my last one cleaning a P14. The super sharp ejector tip cut into the coating and and split it to the metal for about 100mm. Trap for young players.
    Last edited by zimmer; 05-07-2023 at 01:50 PM.
    techno retard likes this.

Well I get reminded of it everytime this guy sees a cleaning rod in particular and another range shooter as well, I am talking fiber not carbon, this would be pre carbon, maybe fiberglass?
    But like i said I havent seen it myself

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    Well I get reminded of it everytime this guy sees a cleaning rod in particular and another range shooter as well, I am talking fiber not carbon, this would be pre carbon, maybe fiberglass?
    But like i said I havent seen it myself
    I had a near miss with a Tipton disintegrating (yes I was a bit overzealous).. splinters didn’t puncture skin. They don’t show on x ray and are a bugger to dig out I know from professional experience!

Had a spika rod that fell apart within a few months, it's replacement lasted one cleaning session and fell apart. In the bin it went and a stainless steel pro shot has its place. Definitely a better piece of gear