Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Rem 700 bolt damage

Rem 700 bolt damage

Picked up a rem 700 long range in 7mm rem mag and noticed the bolt has some damage from someone apparently tightening the stock screws too tight. Has anyone seen this before? Name:  20200717_105930.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  3.03 MB

my old winchester model 70 did similar...I twigged what reason was so took screw out and filed it shorter...never had issue again...Im guessing looking at photo thats more cosmetic than structual isue and reading other thread on 700s would be loath to alter shit at all...other than shortening screw so it can be done up firm,I assume its loose now???

More likely to be from rail/base screws I’d imagine. Bit concerning either way, although to my untrained eye, can’t see it affecting structural integrity of the lugs.
    zimmer and 6x47 like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by StrikerNZ View Post
    More likely to be from rail/base screws I’d imagine. Bit concerning either way, although to my untrained eye, can’t see it affecting structural integrity of the lugs.
    Right hand lug on a RH rifle goes down. Front action screw.

Yup have seen it from both action screws and from ring base screws. Never seen it that bad tho. Usual you can feel it if something is wrong and not wrench on it like that

Can only imagine how much pressure you’d need to exert to cause that??
    Micky Duck likes this.

Flute the rest of the bolt to match and think of the weight savings you have made.
    mikee, Sideshow, Paddy79 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerNZ View Post
    Agreed. LH split locking lug for ejector arm to pass thru (unless Rem 700 is really oddball). OP needs to look at length of rail screws.

Fix screw/screws and then maybe a quiet dressing with a small needle file to take off the high spots and check ejector slot on the rhs and maybe a wee touch up there if the top has been dragged over. No need to get carried away. Check rear screws - eyeball or digital examination.

Seen it happen b4 usually with tapered rails and no allowance made for needing shorter screws on the front than the back.
    Last edited by zimmer; 18-07-2020 at 01:56 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Jeez is Remington still using that horrible arrangement?

Had a 700 many moons ago, had a Sako extractor fitted after the clippie bit failed (yeah I know, millions of 700s made and never any problems, perfect system).

In which case I stand corrected, and yes the wipe is quite wide so looks like a king screw.
    chainsaw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    Flute the rest of the bolt to match and think of the weight savings you have made.
    @Stud. Nah won't have affected the weight. All that metal will be hanging off the end of the action screws

Should i just send the rifle back to him and get a refund?

If it wasn't declared to you I would be a bit annoyed. Although it won't affect the rifle at all I would be pissed. We don't expect new cars to have dents in them
    mikee likes this.

Part ofme wonders if it were hit with the same hammer and coal chisel used on my infamous bolt!

Quote Originally Posted by Remmodel7 View Post
    If it wasn't declared to you I would be a bit annoyed. Although it won't affect the rifle at all I would be pissed. We don't expect new cars to have dents in them
    Nope wasnt declared. I am a bit annoyed someone has had to really crank it to damage it like that and then not said anything about it

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Possibly not, what it could have felt like was simply a tight chambering round as it forced the bolt nose up, the round up inside the chamber and given the lug a bit of clearance to rub over the screw. Over a few openings and closings it's made the mark deeper and given itself clearance...
    Bubba Borden Bump?