Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Rem 700 SA VS LA

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar

Re: Rem 700 SA VS LA

Quote Originally Posted by horihunter View Post
    Didnt i hear or a 7mm saum on a tikka action recently Claw?
    I wouldn't do something that silly... My brother however...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    I wouldn't do something that silly... My brother however...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Who sold him the parts....lol

ok my 2cents

I once brught a SA tikka lite ,wow nice and light to carry ,,the stock even made a nice boNNNNNG noise when i bumped it on a twig,,but to carry it i had to hold it buy the stock or sling it...

Once i landed dads husky 06 i realised why it took him so long to part with it.

I can hold it buy the scope,
    yes my big bootu fingers fit between the scope and action.
    Its the equal to carring the shopping bags for the wife.

So its a bit heaver then the tikka was,

but hear is the secret to not having to worry about your gun been heavy

1st
    Take a dump b4 you leave the hut for most its a good 500g load.

2nd
    dont bother taking loo roll you have allready had a dump

3rd
    for extended trips take a gadget mate, good chance he has lots sox for future dumps.

conflict may happen with the extended trips,, advise your mate your saving his wait because his gun is to heavy
    distant stalker and Neckshot like this.

Why bother looking at the practical side of this? Its mostly irrelevant. If you want to pay someone to talk to a gunsmith for you, build a cannon that cost $5.00 every time you pull the trigger, shoehorn a good size .338 into a short action, get the cheapest gun off the shop wall or anything in between then do what you want while you can.
    Want rules. Embrace it.
    The Claw likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

the other thing about long actions is they hold long cased bullets, yes the action is only 22mm longer but so is the bullet so it extends 22 more mm into the same length barrel too that is 22mm further away from your shoulder

so it makes it two inches OAL longer if you are using the long action to its potential, compare the 7saum with the 7stw or 7rum
    the long bullets take up alot more of the barrel than the short

AB Precision

So what brought this on Greg?
    There has been to talk of long vs short on here lately. . . . . . . Just some different cases popped up

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Why bother looking at the practical side of this? Its mostly irrelevant. If you want to pay someone to talk to a gunsmith for you, build a cannon that cost $5.00 every time you pull the trigger, shoehorn a good size .338 into a short action, get the cheapest gun off the shop wall or anything in between then do what you want while you can.
    Want rules. Embrace it.
    Heh on reflection the obvious answer to that question is because you want to ......
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    So what brought this on Greg?
    There has been to talk of long vs short on here lately. . . . . . . Just some different cases popped up

Nothing much really
    I know people that have used LA rounds in SA rifles to save weight in the past & when this question popped up on one of my threads I thought I would look into it further.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    Hi Greg

Would it work in a SA rem700 if you took the bolt out to extract the round? Do you have to take the bolt out of the LA to get the round out anyway?

kj
    I had already considered it as I have a test 30-06 ai imp in a SA myself.

I thought there would me more weight difference myself so I posted the results I gathered

AB Precision

It's not just weight tho. . .

Balance of rifles is also important, long action is long case an that means long barrel so get the speed so the balance is getting further an further forward

Smiddy likes this.

Balance is far more important than weight IMHO... Long vs short on the same case isn't as much of difference... but it will effect is a bit on balance

Long vs short with say a 7mmSAUM vs a 280AI there is a lot of difference with balance, The rifles starts way back with the SAUM compared to the 280AI so you can either have light and well balanced with the same effective barrel length or can go a longer barrel for the same balance ... with the down fall of less in the mag for the SAUM

Putting two actions on the scales is only a small part of why I went SA... Oh and mine was a Mod 7 so I believe its lighter again
    Smiddy likes this.
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    It's not just weight tho. . .

Balance of rifles is also important, long action is long case an that means long barrel so get the speed so the balance is getting further an further forward

So going by that anyone who puts a suppressor on a rifle is completely mad.....

An inch or so near the middle of a rifle is nothing compared to sticking a suppressor on the end of it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post

An inch or so near the middle of a rifle is nothing compared to sticking a suppressor on the end of it.....

yup mad... unless you want to save your ears then hanging it as close as possible to the action is the idea so it upsets the balance the least amount so a short case in a short action makes it less of an issue

Personally my light rig has no can or brake

AB Precision

Something in the water up there? Or heat wave??

Shorter lighter rifle a small light can does bugger all to up set the balance an like brakes they have there uses an not always on the rifle. Shooting technique also helps soak up some recoil.

It's like putting v8s or screaming jap turbo motors in light cars makes it to be a weapon that you can't wait to take out now a huge lump with a big donk that you know it will do the job but will be a pig to get there an you don't look forward to using it that much:rolleyes:

The whole point is guys are getting all excited about the weight & length savings of a SA over a LA.....

Comparing 7mmSaum to 7mmRum in length & having an effectively longer barrel with a short action by 22mm + the extra length gained from a shorter case...etc

Then talking about that effecting the balance of a rifle......

You are talking about 80-100 grams & less than 1" at most in effectively the middle ish of the rifle where it makes the least difference...

It isn't even worth talking about..... let alone getting excited about it......

The whole point is guys are getting all excited about the weight & length savings of a SA over a LA.....

Comparing 7mmSaum to 7mmRum in length & having an effectively longer barrel with a short action by 22mm + the extra length gained from a shorter case...etc

Then talking about that effecting the balance of a rifle......

You are talking about 80-100 grams & less than 1" at most in effectively the middle ish of the rifle where it makes the least difference...

It isn't even worth talking about..... let alone getting excited about it......
    less than one inch.... how do you figure that...the but of the rifle stays on your shoulder, length of pull stays the same.... action + gain in case length is well over 1" (remembering the effective length of barrel starts at the rifling)... Its all added to the end in real terms not the middle