Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Rem 700 Varmint Build...

So, before I shoot out the lightweight 7mm08 hunting gun, I thought I would get myself a dedicated target shooting rifle.

Being a leftie, I had a few less choices than normal. So, to keep things simple, I have picked up a 700 Varmint in 308. I figure it's a good learning rifle, which is the main point of this project.

The project will be documented, change something on the rifle, shoot it, record the results, change something else and so on.

Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 Left Hand

While I am sure I will have a million and one questions over the next year or so (it's a slow build) - the first one that comes to mind is -

Stocks.

With the plastic stock that comes with the SPS, is it worth stabilising & bedding it, or, am I better replacing it with something aftermarket and bedding that?

My budget long terms allows for a McMillan - will an A3 or A5 really be that much of a step up from a bedded Boyds? Are any of the chassis systems worth considering - or is that mainly still tacticool?

Thanks guys.
    precisionshooter.co.nz - precision rifle

Just a thought, get factory ammo, anything would do and fire a group, then bed the factory stock fire another group then upgrade the stock to whatever you want and fire another group.

Would be interesting to see how much the groups change, although there are tons of variables so it wouldn't be a fair test.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Ejected
    If it's one of those rubbery flexi houge stocks, throw it in the bin. Not sure if they run the same as the sps tactical. But if they do they are shit.
    McMillan, b&c and Boyds all have good results over them. Even without bedding on all the ones I have seen

Hey, I've been in the same position before. Plastic factory Rem SPS stock- bedded,stabilized and removed pressure pads= Shot like a demon. Then I spent heaps on a HS stock only to bed it and achieve the same result, but it looks cool now.So didn't really achieve anything other than looks.

I also have another rifle that came with an HS stock and due to its bulkyness, I'm considering chucking a Boyds or B&C classic style stock on it for more user friendlyness.
    That's just my opinion in regards to using them for hunting. If its solely for competition use then I'd maybe look at the A3/A5 style IF it was going to improve my shooting ability.Somehow I think it would not from previous experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    If its solely for competition use then I'd maybe look at the A3/A5 style IF it was going to improve my shooting ability.Somehow I think it would not from previous experience.
    It will be - and hey, it's really all about how you look at the mound!

Interesting feedback on the upgrade Frosty. I have heard they cost shoot well once stabilised/bedded... part is also deciding how I want to sort comb height. I do like the idea of an adjustable stock for that.

Haha true that, gotta look the part.
    It will be interesting to hear your opinions throughout your journey regarding what you find actually works or makes a noticeable difference to the targets at the other end. Keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally Auckland for work, temporarily deployed to UK, St Arnaud on leave
    I have just got a chassis system, heavy, but will allow adjustment of LOP, comb height + position etc another idea to look into. I went with XLR Industries, yet to shoot it after being overseas for a bit.

Might be worth looking into chassis systems as there are more coming out and most receive good reviews.

ebf
    Interesting thread.

I'm a lefty as well and shoot FTR.

For prone shooting off a bipod, I find right hand bolt rifles more comfortable, allows you to keep the trigger hand on the stock.

If you are serious about FTR, I would suggest that you don't spend too much money on the 700. Many have tried, and VERY few succeed. IMHO you'd be better off with a Omark or 2nd hand Barnard action, gives you a much better base to work from.

Stock wise, you really want something with a pistol grip, so that your hand is in a neutral position and not cocked forward like on hunting stocks. This allows the muscles in your forearm and hand to relax and much finer trigger control.

Spend time at NRA ranges and see what other folks are using, ask lots of questions.

Good luck.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Having never actually shot FTR, I am not going to call myself too serious about it yet...

My primary interest is in shooting long range - ideally leaning more towards what I would consider the 'precision tactical' style of shooting - multiple positions, ranges, known and unknown, shooting around and through barriers and so on.

I don't really see anything like that in the North at the moment (someone please feel to point me in the right direction) - I guess like the rifle aspect of IPSC, but further out. The only way I can really see of stretching out the legs initially is the regular ranges days at the Deerstalkers, and then getting along to some FTR for the longer distances.

I would love to put the money straight into a burnard, or a surgeon in a 6.5 or 270, but feel that a 700 in 308 is a good, honest learning platform. The stabilising and bedding compound has just turned up, so will be doing that this week, then trigger, then optics - it's a long term project, for sure. Going to be asking a lot of questions.

sAsLEX - yeah, the chassis systems do appeal, I watch a lot of 8541 Tacticals youtube channel, so yeah - XLR, or an XLR or Whiskey chassis could be on the cards - but I will see what I can get out of a well bedded stock first.

700 is just fine, seen f class comps won with a 700.