Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Remington 700 Action Truing/Blueprinting

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Probably a stupid question but what is the point of this, is the original accuracy unacceptable and this will correct it? Or is it to improve already acceptable accuracy, if so do the results justify the cost. I can see the desire to get the last quarter moa out of a target rig but on a hunting rifle?
    Pretty much what I was thinking. I have 2 M700s neither was trued before their new barrels were fitted as far as I am aware and both shoot a genuine 1/2 MOA
    They are hunting rifles not target rigs. If I were chasing the ultimate accuracy at long distance (1000+ yards) I can see the point but for a hunting rifle at up to 500 yards I spent the money saved on powered / bullets and primers and practiced
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

MSL
    If i was chasing the ultimate accuracy at long distance I'd use a different action
    nor-west and mikee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    If i was chasing the ultimate accuracy at long distance I'd use a different action
    Me three....................
    BRADS likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Hey Fella before you go down the road of getting someone to accurize your rig for you I'd take a look at Nathan Fosters site at Extensive Field-Tested Rifle & Cartridge Research - BallisticStudies.com you may find on reading this you may either want to use some of the services and they (He and his wife are exceptional in what they do) or you may like me pick up the relevant books and decide step by step how far down the road you will go.

I've used his books getting an exceptional result on my bush rifle 300 Blk Ruger American Ranch (and really easy as it was a glue and screw bedding job for that sorted things best) and other rifles I've thought of bedding I've left alone due to the current inherent accuracy level and the purpose of the job a la my 7mm Rem Mag. I've built skills and identified projects for the future coming from building my own personal knowledge and opinions on what works. But if you just want to get it right! they have a full accurizing service and cartridge development service where they do it all for you.

Worth a look..... Definitely not a typical Gunsmithing approach to job comes in job goes out. Dean M is similar around the accurizing service but be prepared to wait and pay for it there's a hefty Labour component in getting what you want done!!!
    Nathans prices on his site are as follows...
    Accurising package:
    Bed action
    Stabilize plastic gun stock if necessary
    Tune trigger to 1.5lb
    Free float barrel
    Lap bore
    Test fire with supplied ammunition or reloading components
    Araldyte scope bases and fit optics
    Develop drop charts for long range rifles
    Labour content, regardless of rifle style or configuration averages 35 hours labour.

Price: $800 (plus cost of reloading consumables unless supplied)

Take the journey - you won't be disappointed!!!

Also Nathan write good books and seems to be doing a good job, he is assessing and working with the rifle you give him, often factory one s that needs improving ( and do improve with a good bedding job). He does not build rifle from scratch. He commission them to get built by other competent gunsmiths if you ask him to.

If you are on a new built or a rebarrel and you think to a get a blue printing done, you are already on a custom pathway. (Unless that action is going to be sitting in a very good matching chassis) it should be properly bedded in a stock anyway.

Marty/Mikee, short answer is that in most cases it's probably not necessary and you may not notice the difference on a hunting rig.

Me personally i'm pretty OCD when it comes to accuracy. 1 inch groups aren't good enough for me I want 0.5" or better regardless if it's a hunting or target rig. I just get a real kick out of shooting tiny groups and knowing my rifles are super accurate. Many factory 700's can achieve that out of the box without truing but there are also many that can't. I'm building a .280 AI on a 700 action and I figure if i'm going to spend a lot of money on a nice new barrel like a Kreiger etc. then it's just peace of mind to true the action before screwing that barrel on to make sure everything lines up perfectly as it should which is often not the case from factory. I'd hate to get the gun all set up and it not shoot very well then wonder if the action isn't true after the fact ya know?

It's peace of mind for an extra few hundred dollars to ensure you can get the best out of an expensive barrel. For a regular hunting rifle for people who aren't too fussy then yeah it's probably a waste of time and money unless they are having accuracy problems. In that case they could just sell/swap it for another rifle and try again. For someone building a semi-custom or custom rifle on a factory action who is fussy/OCD about accuracy then I believe it's money well spent. Just my opinion.

CT
    rossi.45 likes this.

Carpe/Friwi thanks for the info i'll take a look.
    Carpe Diem likes this.