Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By Kiwi Greg
  • 1 Post By Kiwi Greg

Thread: Remington Mod 7 firing pin issue

Remington Mod 7 firing pin issue

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions...
    I've got an issue with a firing pin falling upon closing the bolt on my model 7 - I've pulled the bloody thing apart & there is no obstruction/beech twigs or other shit jamming in there. If I put the safety on when closing the bolt & then take the safety off, things work fine - but if I forget to do this, the firing pin drops when closing the bolt (but doesn't fire the round). Happened the last couple of times going to the range - today was the last straw!!
    Anyone else have this? It's a massive pain in the ass for a hunting rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions...
    I've got an issue with a firing pin falling upon closing the bolt on my model 7 - I've pulled the bloody thing apart & there is no obstruction/beech twigs or other shit jamming in there. If I put the safety on when closing the bolt & then take the safety off, things work fine - but if I forget to do this, the firing pin drops when closing the bolt (but doesn't fire the round). Happened the last couple of times going to the range - today was the last straw!!
    Anyone else have this? It's a massive pain in the ass for a hunting rifle....
    Look at the trigger

Just a guess,, trigger set to light....

Shit (especially very fine small shit) in the trigger mechanism can cause this with Model 7's/700's. Its often really hard to get it all out as it gets trapped between the trigger and trigger connector.

Thanks fullas - will try backing off the trigger weight a bit (it's freakin' sparkling clean in trigger & safety....but the trigger is set very light).

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Thanks fullas - will try backing off the trigger weight a bit (it's freakin' sparkling clean in trigger & safety....but the trigger is set very light).
    Sounds like the sear maybe too light/not enough

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Sounds like the sear maybe too light/not enough
    Thanks KG - going to have a few rounds through tomorrow and try a few adjustments. Hoping it is a straightforward fix.

If you hold the trigger forward while working the bolt does it stay cocked? Same if you work the bolt real slow does it stay cocked
    I had an issue with the trigger being too light on one of my 700's but if i held the trigger fwd or worked the bolt slowly everything was good. increasing the pull weight corrected the issue for me
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

All so increase the sear engagement in cold weather it will get go I have had that happen, if the trigger weight of pull is less than 2 pounds you will have trouble

Thankfully resolved: had a bedding issue where the trigger was catching on the trigger guard. Solution was a mild file to the bottom of the trigger and a washer put into the back of the trigger guard (it is a very shallow bedding job). Cheers all for the input.