Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree163Likes

Thread: A Rifle for Almost Everything.

I've gone through a variety of calibres over the years. Finally settled on the 280AI as my do everything cal and a light 308 Kimber as a handy go to for 500y or less. For the reloader especially there is always delight (and some heartache) in getting a new to you calibre and getting it to perform well.
    dannyb and HandH like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    I've gone through a variety of calibres over the years. Finally settled on the 280AI as my do everything cal and a light 308 Kimber as a handy go to for 500y or less. For the reloader especially there is always delight (and some heartache) in getting a new to you calibre and getting it to perform well.
    Well said Bob and some fine choices there.....not the right ones but fine choices all the same
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Well said Bob and some fine choices there.....not the right ones but fine choices all the same
    LOL... and that is the best part!

Nobody has mentioned a drilling (or similar) as a ‘one gun for everything’?

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Was just thinking that
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    A drilling would be nice, or a three barrel with .30-40 Krag, .222 rimmed and 20 gauge. Have not seen one on the shelves of my local bang stick emporium unfortunately. Plenty of .308's though.
    Grandpamac.

Well if you can afford one you can afford to employ a bearer I guess, although for the price I would expect one to be included.
    dannyb likes this.

If they really did manage to pass a 2 gun limit in the future I guess the wife would have to get her licence and own a couple of rifles too...

If I had to choose just 2 I guess i'd still need a 22LR for rabbits / possums at night, and I'm happy with my 6.5cm or maybe if it was the only center fire I could have a 6.5PRC.
    Tikka7mm08 and Allizdog like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    Now here's a thought, pilgrims.......when Princess Jacinda sweeps back into power with a huge majority, and deals to us lower life forms that like to play with "real" guns, by limiting us to 2 firearms only ("tell 'im 'es dreaming!")...what will you choose?? Go on, play along with my fantasy....
    Fantasy? Sounds like a nightmare!

A .22lr would be a no brainer for me. There’s a lot of bang for your buck to be had with the humble 22: small game hunting, target shooting, trying to stretch the range with subsonics; good times...

The other choice would be a mid range 6.5mm: 260, Creedmoor, 6.5x47, 6.5x55. All much of a muchness. Low recoil, easy on barrels, great ballistics; job done. Good allrounders for general big game hunting, ringing gongs, and even a bit of casual varminting. If I had to choose one it would probably be the Creedmoor, simply because I’m not a reloader. As a 308 owner it actually hurt to type that

Shotguns? A must for game bird hunters but I have minimal need for one. Rifles all the way
    Shadowsol likes this.