Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Rifle bedding - is this normal?

Looks pretty mediocre to me. It shouldn't be difficult for someone who knows what they're doing to be able to get a much cleaner surface finish. Something was rushed. Either the action was pulled before the compound had cured properly, or release agent wasn't properly applied in a couple of places. I'd also want the edges around the mag well to be tidied up with something a bit more precise than a dremel or a hand file. I seem to recall Nathan Foster saying that the rear tang is supposed to be relieved so that there isn't any compound around the end or side edges too, because otherwise it's absorbing recoil along with the lug (could be wrong on that).

I'm still very much an amateur at bedding jobs. But I reckon I could do a fair bit better than that. I wouldn't want to give that back to a paying customer looking like it does.
    Roarless20 likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber 7mm-08 View Post
    This rifle has historically been good but not great and only been used for bush work.

Since moving south and hunting open tussock along with changing to precision hunter 150gr eldx I could consistently and confidently get out to 550yds, and i thought job done! Unfortunately over the last year or so ive ran into issues with accuracy and it caused no end of frustration. My other kimbers are brilliant and I can't fault them, this one not so much. Thought I'd see if bedding could help out after trying all the usual solutions, cleaning regime, changing out scopes, mounts, screw torque, etc. Just trying to do what I can to sort out the rifle. Cheaper to run and lighter than my 300wsm montana, but lately confidence has been knocked by the 7mm-08.
    There is an awesome kimber accuracy issue thread one one of the American forums

The three iv run across is a binding mag box, too long front action screw and too long screw on the front scope base

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

STC
    I think rushed is the right word here.

Bedding jobs can be made to look very tidy (if one knows what he's doing) as Nathan Foster has demonstrated.

BUT, such careful meticulous preparation takes a lot of time. For economic reasons a gunsmith will probably want to get this job done with quickly.

It makes me feel better about my first attempt at bedding.

This rifle has historically been good but not great .. ive ran into issues with accuracy .. after trying all the usual solutions, cleaning regime,...
    Have you got a borescope?
    caberslash likes this.

It’s a bigger problem now though for the OP than just a rubbish looking bedding job.

He was trying to address issues relating to accuracy and rightly decided to try bedding. Now, in my opinion, he has what looks like a suspect bedding job, how can he tell if it has resolved the accuracy problem? And if it was done properly, would it have fixed the accuracy problem?

Personally, I think it’s a shithouse job and I wouldnt stand for it. Send it back.
    shift14, Roarless20 and TimC like this.

But if the accuracy is back to spot on.the job has done what the task sheet required...
    6x47 and caberslash like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

This rifle has historically been good but not great and only been used for bush work.

Since moving south and hunting open tussock along with changing to precision hunter 150gr eldx I could consistently and confidently get out to 550yds, and i thought job done! Unfortunately over the last year or so ive ran into issues with accuracy and it caused no end of frustration. My other kimbers are brilliant and I can't fault them, this one not so much. Thought I'd see if bedding could help out after trying all the usual solutions, cleaning regime, changing out scopes, mounts, screw torque, etc. Just trying to do what I can to sort out the rifle. Cheaper to run and lighter than my 300wsm montana, but lately confidence has been knocked by the 7mm-08.
    You are using factory loaded 7mmo8 out to 550yards and suddenly it's just not cutting it anymore???? Hmmmm there is more than a bedding job at play here.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    But if the accuracy is back to spot on.the job has done what the task sheet required...
    Yup, never known so many blokes to jump onto the aesthetics of a bedding before seeing how the rifle shoots before/after ...
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    It’s a bigger problem now though for the OP than just a rubbish looking bedding job.

He was trying to address issues relating to accuracy and rightly decided to try bedding. Now, in my opinion, he has what looks like a suspect bedding job, how can he tell if it has resolved the accuracy problem? And if it was done properly, would it have fixed the accuracy problem?

Personally, I think it’s a shithouse job and I wouldnt stand for it. Send it back.
    Demand refund and also request a counselling session?

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Yeah.....nah. You take it to a professional you expect and should receive a professional finish.

How much did it cost to get it done? How does it shoot? Then go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post

He was trying to address issues relating to accuracy and rightly decided to try bedding. Now, in my opinion, he has what looks like a suspect bedding job, how can he tell if it has resolved the accuracy problem? .
    well by shooting the plurry thing TO START WITH would help some what!!!!

Its a bit like taking your car in for a WOF and getting it back with a dent in it.
    Moa Hunter and TimC like this.
    When hunting think safety first

Not sure what you paid, if it was cheap.then maybe a rush job, but might still shoot good. But as everyone has said the attention to detail was definitely overlooked