Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Rifle bedding - is this normal?

ok I will put it another way....
    fella has a 7mm08 and is running factory ammunition and is shooting it out to 550yards ,buts its mainly just his bush rifle,has had a few accuracy issues...but doesnt say HOW BAD they were..or even how good on a good day.....confidence has taken a hit and is now looking for silver bullet without actually looking at THE BULLET/LOAD part of equasion...there have been many tales on here in last few years of factory ammunition hiccups and quality issues and batch differences and projectiles having different olgive measurements from last lot etc etc etc some of us have even seen Hornady loads that are waaay over pressure......
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Hope to get out to the range soon, but time poor at the moment. @blip Cost $390. My question, primarily on the finish, etc. Not having any experience with rifle bedding, perhaps my expectations were a tad too high on the finish expected, hence why I asked the question in the first place. Proof will ultimately be in the shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    Its a bit like taking your car in for a WOF and getting it back with a dent in it.
    except if he removes the bedding it will still be the same as it was..the stock hasnt been garked up,scratched,dented...2 minutes with a tiny paintbrush and some craft paint and it will look a million bucks..IF he had taken it to range and shot tiny bug hole group BEFORE pissing around and removing it from stock...the entire mindset would be different....it would be..great my rifle shoots awesome again,might just paint over this bit so it doesnt annoy me when Im looking at it while hunting in the bush and rifle is covered in scrub and mud......
    instead of......hmm this looks great,take it out of stock...OH PANIC PANIC its got a couple of flaws it MIGHT NOT shoot....my pristine 100% immaculate BUSH RIFLE that slays deer to 550 yards USING FACTORY AMMUNITION now has a tiny cosmetic flaw that I could paint over but I wont I will get on internet and bitch n moan about it first and wont even ring gunsmith....

Im no expert but considering materials time and convenience if you cant do it your self that sounds cheap, its all relative. I know a lot of people expect a ferrari at a lada price....just shoot it
    Micky Duck likes this.

No bitching or moaning from me Micky, just a simple question on the quality of finish one might expect from a professional gunsmith.
    Micky Duck and TimC like this.

my point being...you should have brought it up with them first off...and shoot it to see if it works as it should...Im honestly gobsmacked you are sucessfully using factory ammunition at 550 yards...and not at all surprised your starting to have issues doing so.
    Ive looked at your photos and other than what looks like a wee chip off to side of tang...nothing looks out of place and a tiny touch up with craft paint will make it dissapear.wont look out of place with rifle assembled that is.
    if it shoots well...any issues are purely cosmetic...and if you can touch that up..do so and be happy
    so touching on issues yo uwere having...what has changed??? have you lost animals??? has terminal preformance changed??? or has your 100yard group average size gone from 1/2" out to 2"

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber 7mm-08 View Post
    Hope to get out to the range soon, but time poor at the moment. @blip Cost $390. My question, primarily on the finish, etc. Not having any experience with rifle bedding, perhaps my expectations were a tad too high on the finish expected, hence why I asked the question in the first place. Proof will ultimately be in the shooting.
    I'd be pissed if I paid $390 and got that back.
    Bloody poor finish. He couldn't even run some fine grit paper around the edges corners by finger just to tidy/debur it.
    I've bedded a dozen different rifles now and even the worst looked better than that.
    If the GSmith doesn't come to the party with tidying it up and your ever up my way I'll rebed it for you.

I would be unhappy with that too man, i would definitely speak with the gunsmith about the finished product.
    might just be the reminder that he quality is slipping away
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

I'll get a pic of a rifle I got a little while back.
    Not suggesting the guy I got it off did it as I don't think he had it long but it makes that look mint.

Some people may not have a problem with the finish as they don't care too much what their gear looks like however I take pride in looking after my stuff so I wouldn't be happy with that finish even if it does shoot well.

Some people buy cars with dents in them but I won't touch one if its not emaculate.

I would hate to carry a riffle around with it looking like that, I think the gunsmith should have told you first that he was going to do a slap happy job.
    Husky1600#2 likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

Walking my rifle
    Ive always done my own bedding jobs and some look like this but most look far better. What you have will probably work fine. But id be annoyed if i get that back after paying money for it
    Micky Duck likes this.
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

Have you tested the bedding? See this:
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....uestion-67714/

That last photo WTf was the edge damaged before?

Quote Originally Posted by TimC View Post
    That last photo WTf was the edge damaged before?
    No, that edge damage was not there before it went away to be bedded.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber 7mm-08 View Post
    No, that edge damage was not there before it went away to be bedded.
    Unacceptable

B
    Micky Duck likes this.