Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Rifle for good keen man

Or get an aftermarket trigger at the same time,
    Any short action, 243, 6.5cm, 7m08 etc,
    I would not go as large as 308.
    Z
    57jl, caberslash and RugerM77 like this.

I would agree with ZQLewis.

6.5cm or maybe 7mm08 would be the go. 6.5creedmoor definitely seems to have overtaken 7mm08 for factory ammo options. Federal don't seem to be doing their newest lines in 7mm08 alot of the time.

I grew up shooting shotguns and my first rifle at the age of 19 I bought was a 308 and I very quickly developed a flinch. Still my main hunting rifle 12 years later but do wish I had got a lesser recoiling rifle to start with.

I didn't have someone teaching me the correct shooting techniques and trigger control though so if you are able to provide that for him then might not be such an issue. But I do think 308 and 270 can be quite intimidating for someone getting in to it if no correct training.
    6x47, ZQLewis, RugerM77 and 1 others like this.

jdd
    $1200 Bergara HMR in 308
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=3067176207
    I've heard the trigger is nice on these.

$900 Marlin XL7 in 270Win with bushnell scope and bipod
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=3062854137
    I know the trigger is nice on these.
    RugerM77 likes this.

A newbie might be a bit more recoil sensitive so something like a 6.5 Creedmoor (.264 cal) might be just right, plenty of good factory ammo available in a wide range of bullet types and weights. Good accuracy potential and lots of rifles now available in that clambering.
    The tikka is a solid go to option, if price is a big factor in his decision making a howa would be a good buy.
    57jl, RugerM77 and Pushover like this.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=3069299459

Low price and nice quality Weatherby 308. Looks like a Bell and Carlson stock too.
    Only reason it's still there is probably because it's listed under the wrong category.

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    Or get an aftermarket trigger at the same time,
    Any short action, 243, 6.5cm, 7m08 etc,
    I would not go as large as 308.
    Z
    Agreed, or just swap a newer Howa HACT trigger for the old single stage one (easily spotted and the old one had a proper shoe for the saftey lever, not a bent bit of metal).

Don't think two stage triggers belong on a hunting rifle, possibly flinch-encouraging for a beginner...

Hopefully the young Tyro has a steady hand to guide them!

6mm is under-rated!
    ZQLewis and RugerM77 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=3069299459

Low price and nice quality Weatherby 308. Looks like a Bell and Carlson stock too.
    Only reason it's still there is probably because it's listed under the wrong category.
    @Synthetic that is one hell of a deal !

Hi Guys. Thank you all very much, awesome input and definately food for thought for the young fellah. When I say young fellah, he's turned 30, capable man, but only had his real experience in the scrub just very lately. Better late than never. I've copied everyones comments and pasted them by email to him. Given him a couple of pointers re fit etc and will leave the rest to him. Needs to be his rifle. Thanks for the heads up Synthetic, great deal. I'll pass it on. Cheers Everyone.

This subject’s been done to death in the past but here’s my 2c; a suppressed tikka is what I would be looking for in one of the following cartridges:
    -243. This is a very good option due to minimal recoil and a low chance of the shooter developing a flinch. I’ve found them to be very effective for general hunting but they have some limitations compared to heavier calibers
    -6.5 creedmoor. Great ballistics and low recoil, they are popular for good reason
    -7mm08/308. Not a lot of difference between these two, they’re both great all rounders. The 7mm has a slight advantage in open country and the 308 is arguably better in the bush and has a better selection of factory ammo. The 308 is probably at the upper end of recoil for a new shooter, a limbsaver as well as suppressor might be the go
    -270. This would be my least favoured option due to recoil, suppressor and limbsaver compulsory for a new shooter!
    caberslash and RugerM77 like this.

Also you can get managed recoil ammo for the .308 to start with then step up to full power loads later on.

The thing is a lot of guns end up with a suppressor.
    The 270 is excellent for farmland and open top ( and the moors of Scotland;-) and when you don't have to go in tight bush. And it is still good with a suppressor and left full length.but it's recoil can put off a lot of people.
    As soon as you go bush, you are better off with a 7-08 or a 308. And even if you mix bush/ farmland or bush/ further distance (350 to 400) you won't be undergunned with these two.
    Now cartridge selection. I just looked at the guncity website as an indication:
    - 7-08: 15 different types of cartridges and probably not all available ( one retailer told me there was a bit of a shortage of them at the moment)
    - 270 : 26
    -308: 49

I hope that will help.
    RugerM77 likes this.

The 270 Winchester in it's intended 130 grain loading is not a heavy recoiling cartridge, not sure where this idea comes from?

Loaded up with a 100 or 110 grain copper bullet it feels comparable to a 243.

Nothing is going to beat a 12G lead slug at 50 meters and under with equal shot placement, if legal then it would be my choice for bush hunts in a reliable pump-action shotgun with rifled barrel.
    GSP HUNTER and RugerM77 like this.

Im inclined to agree with caberslash that the 270 neednt be a heavy recoiling cartridge and a lot of rifles in it are on the heavy side which helps too. If hes over 80kg himself and under 50 years he can carry a full size rifle (4kg). I wouldnt recommend 243 for a new shooter. Fine if youre a good shot or only shooting smaller animals like goats or sika.

Id put some thought into the scope first.
    He should get something equivalent of the leupold vx3i (possibly vx freedom are good too ?). The venerable trusted vx1 are not made any more. Go for about 3-9x or 2-8x and 30 or 40mm with capped turrets. Entry level zeiss and swaro are ok too but try and avoid the super value for money brands like sightron vixen ranger diamondback and others until hes an expert and can take a punt. @Tahr could give good advice onthese minority brands
    caberslash and RugerM77 like this.

@RugerM77 not mine could be worth keeping a eye on it
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...3?bof=tBmfqpro
    RugerM77 likes this.

Recoil perception is different for everyone.and we all have a threshold. I have worked in the gun industry for the last 6 years, I have never seen so many 270 rifles passing into my hands since June last year. And they all want a suppressor for a good reason , the noise and quite often the kick.
    bigbear and RugerM77 like this.