Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Rifle for NZ

+ 1 For the 260

Quote Originally Posted by L.R View Post
    Sexy to look at? You have to be kidding.
    It was Graham Henry who said "Why look at anything else when you're married to miss Universe ?" talking about the .270

Thanks for the replies guys. I had the impression that the NZ annimals where heavier than the UK ones and so hesitated a bit. Red deer in Scotland are lighter in bodyweight than in the south of the UK or Europe. It seems a lot of you guys seem to use the traditional calibres. Until recently in Belgium we were not allowed to use military and ex-military calibres. This still is the case in France. That's the reason we use the 7x64 so much. In Belgium and France you also see a lot of Browning BAR rifles in 300 win mag or 7 mm RM for driven boar/deer shooting. Is it difficult to import ammo in NZ. When we go to the UK or France or ..... we take the rifle and the ammo.
    Because the A bolt is on it's last legs in Belgium I considered to trade in the 7x64 and get a synthetic 30-06. This is more international and cheaper in ammo. The 7 mm RM is no longer available in the A bolt here. My firts rifle ( still regret selling it ) was a custom build 300 win mag on a sako action, claw hook mount and a swarovski 1.5-6x42. Nice rifle but heavy as hell. I also used a few times a rem 700 in 7 mm RM from a friend. I did like both, but hte 7 mm was a bit more comfy to shoot. I will certainly consider a 7mm RM as I know it kills with authority. My first trip will be next year to the Scotisch highlands. Because I dream of it already many years and it will be a good test for my equipment before I make a longer journey.
    Go on with your advice. Thanks.