Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Rifle Scope

Rifle Scope

Hi all,

I am a newbie hunter and have brought myself a rifle and am looking at scopes for it. Any advice on type, size etc, My budget will be in the region of $1k -1.5k and I won't be shooting at much over about 300m.

Depends on the rifle and the type of hunting you hope to do with it. Details please.
    Grandpamac.

Although you are a newbie hunter, are you versed in shooting in general? 300m is further than a lot of people realize without practice/experience

Thanks for your responses, yep Preacher I am versed in shooting as whilst I am a newbie now I use to hunt regularly when I was much younger and the equipment has moved on so much its like starting all over again! I have a Lupo 308 and will be mainly hunting in the bush / clearings of the Tararuas
    tikka, Micky Duck and Preacher like this.

do you know what magnification range you are wanting? I wouldnt go above 3x minimum for bush hunting.
    2-7? 3-9 used to be pretty standard and will do everything you say. 3-15 more common now might be a bit overkill for what you want some people like the extra magnification. Also handy if youre shooting rabbits or shoot longer ranges ocassionally.
    Most decent scopes now have lifetime no questions asked warranty's. So 2nd hand buying takes alot of risk out of it.
    Alot of scopes also have a ballistic turret for dialing longer ranges, i think in alot of cases its worth getting if you getting a new scope even if you don't plan on using it to begin with.

Not really up to play with the current prices and new release of hunting scopes, so not sure if any is good buying for the money over others.

I love my older Bushnell elite 3-9 but its very plain - standard reticle, no turret for dialing. Can be found for 250-300 on trademe.

a few Leopold scopes like the VX freedom 3-9 CDS or VX3hd 3.5-10 in the 700-1100 dollar range

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....reticle-97996/
    Something like this is a good all-round scope. 600grams so not heavy. Ballistic turret. Lifetime warranty.

That would be my pick for all round versatility and price. I have a VX5 Leupold that is probably 1600+ 2nd hand now and i would really like to look down one of those Burris scopes to see the difference.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thanks mate, I can't see that link ( I think its because I'm new to the site) I have been looking at the Leopold VX series but yeah I find it a little mind blowing with whats out there!

I think im heading down the 3-15 way but will keep researching.

Thanks again for all the great info

Its a burris 3-15 on the for sale section.
    Might be a post cap before you can see it.

A 3-9x42 or similar would be a good option for your hunting, plenty of older quality scopes around that you pick up for $300 -$600 or you could spend a bit more for a 2-10x or 3-12x or 3-15x. If you are mainly bush hunting you don’t want a big clunky scope.

The new element helix HD 2.5-16 is a very nice bit of kit and has an option to go to the long range model with exposed turrets
    ElDax and BK10 like this.

Yep the 2-10 Burris I got with a rifle off here has impressed me. Is it a high end option? Nope, but it's a maybe $600 scope and works just fine.

I'll Second the Burris 2-10. I have a Veracity 2-10 and have been impressed. Its a little heavier than I would like but has good features.
    Just be awear that some of the 3-15x scope etc are starting to get quite large.

As above take a good look at some second hand scopes if they are a recognized brand.

PS if you are a taller guy just be aware of scopes with a sharp edge on the eye end. Mate is a tall guy and shooting uphill prone has given him scope eye a few times.
    Z
    BK10 likes this.

Actually I just had a look. It's a Fullfield IV and it's actually 2.5-10x42. Although it came on a rifle I brought "second" hand as mentioned it retails for like $600 new and I like it for what it is. Having never had Burris before I would consider upgrade to the Signature HD 2-10x40 for a few hundred more if I could see any perceptible improvement. Can't justify 1.5-2k+ on higher end option to drag it through manuka scrub.
    Micky Duck and BK10 like this.

Micky Duck and BK10 like this.

Bloody good info, thanks very much. I like the idea of not spending a crap load! I will definitely take all this on board and will be back with more questions I'm sure
    Thanks again

I’ve got a Bushnell Elite 3-9x42 that needs a new home. This is the Elite model with side focus parallax and is in very good condition. Yours for $350 plus postage