Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Rifle Scope

Greetings @BK10,
    For bush and clearings keep the max power low, especially if you tend to wind the power up to get a better look at things. Field of view is king in the bush both before and after the shot. If you get into the long range stuff you will get a rifle for that with the appropriate scope for that. Something that tops out at 10 power or below would be my pick with 2 or 2.5 max at the bottom end. There is a 1.5-5 on my little Bergara.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck and BK10 like this.

Banned
    I would go for a scope with red dot reticle. Buy the likes of a Burris and put the saved money towards binos
    BK10 likes this.

I don’t think you can go wrong with Vortex or Leopold scopes. As high spec as you can afford, although I have a Vortex diamond back 3-9 x 40 and it’s fantastic for $500 odd. Ideal for anything inside 300m. I’d suggest going up to a Vortex Viper though for about a grand. Good luck 😉
    BK10 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mat_99 View Post
    I don’t think you can go wrong with Vortex or Leopold scopes. As high spec as you can afford, although I have a Vortex diamond back 3-9 x 40 and it’s fantastic for $500 odd. Ideal for anything inside 300m. I’d suggest going up to a Vortex Viper though for about a grand. Good luck
    Leupy over vortex any day.
    You need to buy two vortex so you have one to alternate between warranty claims

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    GSP HUNTER, zimmer and Micky Duck like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

leupolds now sit on all my rifles..took me 30 years to manage that...gives me piece of mind if anything ever goes wrong (IVE PREVIOUSLY KILLED 10 CHEAPER SCOPES) the factory will fix it.
    bush through to 300 yards is me to a T. bottom end of NO MORE than 4x a 3x9x40 freedom or older leupold 2nd hand would be my pick, the 2x7 is better still and dont over look something smaller is one comes up.
    BK10 likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Swarovski z3 3-9 or 3-10. Can get the 4a reticle if your more bush hunting but as you said 300m could get the brh reticle, is a hold over style and once you know where the hash marks are to hold over a target you'll be away. Chrisp clear scopes and good value these days with everything else getting up there in price too!
    Moa Hunter and BK10 like this.

If you're going to do clearings etc don't go too high - the relationship between zoom and available light will kick in with a vengeance in low light, so lower magnification on the bottom end will always beat higher low end mahnification in those scenarios, all else being equal

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.

Treat yourself to a lifetime scope - @dannyb has a very nice VX6 2-12 for very reasonable money, you will never regret it.
    dannyb likes this.

Banned
    Scopes are going to digital display so I wouldnt spend a whole lot now unless you can afford it or need a good scope because of age. The 3-9 Bushnel elites are very good for $100-$200 and will do everything to 300 mtrs. Then in the future buy a digital display job. In my earlier post I recommended a red dot and still do, but this will be over $350 second hand. A red dot makes an ordinary scope as effective as a really good scope.
    BK10 likes this.

Big difference on expensive scopes only shows at 1st and last light
    The times u probably getting a shot i n alpine regions
    Don't be cheap , don't be sad

I
    Buying cheap is expensive if u think what it costs u to get out there in time ,fuel etc when u say jees could have had gear shot fir better viz

I
    42 objective 30mm tube minimum imho

I think I just bought dannyb's Lupo!
    Husky1600#2 likes this.

@Moa Hunter you don't see those Bushnell elites as cheap as that anymore.
    I'd buy a couple more if they did.

For the Tararuas you need absolute ruggedness , waterproofness and a low profile for climbing through scrub. That narrows you down to Nightforce SHV, Kahles and Leupold. Only Leupold VX 3 will fit into the sub $1500 budget new. For toughness, get 40-44mm rather than 50mm and a 30mm tube would be ideal. You wont need dialing . Long shots are up at slips or occasionally on the tops so range is likely to be under 250m as you probably know.

Personally Id go for the 2-8x32 or the 3-10.5x40 in VX3. You need good rings too eg Leupold or NF.

Its back to basics for the tarries, mate.
    tikka and BK10 like this.