Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Rifles that don't age well

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I've not owned one, but from some comments I've seen on here, it sounded like the Sako carbonlights had a habit of the coating on the stock wearing off fairly quickly.
    Yip same coating as the 85 finnlight

Edit I assume it’s the same coating as it does the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    With the same amount of care, are there particular brands and models that tend to wear quicker than others?

Is there such a thing?

From what I have heard on the forum:
    - Howa's stainless barreled actions is more prone to rust
    - Browning Xbolt's stock coating tends to peel off and become sticky fast

There could be more. Keen to hear your experiences.
    Have had a Howa 1500 stainless in 223 since the steal-back. Used every week mainly on goats, bush stalking . Not particularly fastidious about cleaning and it hasn’t been particularly rust prone.
    Micky Duck and Kelton like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    I'm waiting for someone to say 270 Winchester.
    Begone, heathen!
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Modern powders. With BP you have time to manoeuvre after each volley, still not sure why smokeless caught on
    I'd like to verify your clam.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Remington's "J-lock" .... Not so much an issue of not aging well - more a case of a stupid idea that rightly never took off.... (Could probably add the Sako 75 bolt lock to this...)
    You could argue that someone in Japan recently had a crack at reviving it.
    dogmatix likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    I'm waiting for someone to say 270 Winchester.
    I thought 6.5 Creedmore HAD already replaced it?

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    I thought 6.5 Creedmore HAD already replaced it?
    The 6.5 manbun seems to generate a different kind of contempt
    dannyb likes this.
    Pack out heavy

7mm08 latte apparently it's dead
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    Begone, heathen!
    Yes, sound advice for ALL 270 owners
    300CALMAN and caberslash like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I've not owned one, but from some comments I've seen on here, it sounded like the Sako carbonlights had a habit of the coating on the stock wearing off fairly quickly.
    Yip they sure do and end up looking like a very cheap rifle.
    I've just had mine recoated.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Living and hunting a lot on Rakiura Stewart Is brings out the worst in rifle corrosion problems. The marine atmosphere gets em all. My Sako 75 ss rifle has with stood most of it but having Camo tape wrapped around the barrel for a few years then taking it off Ive got a neat spiral line of slight pitting going round the barrel from salt water ingress over time. Not as bad as my old Winchester mod 88 lever action, man that rusted bad in the air down there. Despite the best cleaning regime . Had an sks for awhile and that rusted bad also. My 2 Brnos in .22 and .22 mag have copped a bet better, but they didn't do much boat work. I guess its how much we use are firearms and what sort of conditions we use them in.
    Bill999 and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosts View Post
    Living and hunting a lot on Rakiura Stewart Is brings out the worst in rifle corrosion problems. The marine atmosphere gets em all. My Sako 75 ss rifle has with stood most of it but having Camo tape wrapped around the barrel for a few years then taking it off Ive got a neat spiral line of slight pitting going round the barrel from salt water ingress over time. Not as bad as my old Winchester mod 88 lever action, man that rusted bad in the air down there. Despite the best cleaning regime . Had an sks for awhile and that rusted bad also. My 2 Brnos in .22 and .22 mag have copped a bet better, but they didn't do much boat work. I guess its how much we use are firearms and what sort of conditions we use them in.

Yip my 85 Bavarian didn’t much appreciate 10 days at south Pegasus was piling at night and in the morning before I left just about a lot of on and off the boat and watching beaches

Mates Sako Finnlight with that shit rubberised coating....sticky not caused by oils or solvents....hardly used and happened within three years of new.
    matagouri likes this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese....

Any stock with silicone in it, this includes Ferrari dash boards, same problem ? ( I don,t own one) as to howa / tikka rusting it stainless not rust less.
    Kelton, caberslash and witchcraft like this.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    There are a lot of European rifle designs which involve overly complex methods of switching barrels or mounting scopes etc.

These often require proprietary parts which are never offered off the shelf or quickly evaporate once the rifle turns out to be a poor seller due to high costs.

It's far better to adopt a system with known faults that can be rectified vs. a brand new one which is supposedly 'better'...

A Sauer, Mauser M03 or Blaser R93 might sound like a great idea but can you buy a new stock, trigger and magazine for one at your local gunshop?!

Better to buy Howa/Remington/Tikka as parts are available and gunsmiths are familliar with them.

So I have had Sauer 202’s since 1992 when they first came out. I own three now. Never had an issue with them, never lost a mag or broken a stock. Also own S&L and Heym change barrel versions. No you can’t buy a trigger, stock or magazine at my local store however the joy or using precision engineering and accuracy drives my motivations. You can’t buy a gearbox or wiper blades for a Bugatti Veyron at your local garage either!