Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: A right royal rogering - Nightforce

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Have you seen the price of tiddlywinks chips lately???????????? (Obviously not...)
    hahaha, I actually thought I should check before I posted that!!

I really had to think hard for a minute to come up with a cheap hobby and it was the best I example I could think of.

Caretaker
    Hunting is a cheap hobby

Compared to most any form of motorsports or boating or travel etc etc
    muzr257, mikee, BRADS and 6 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Hunting is a cheap hobby

Compared to most any form of motorsports or boating or travel etc etc
    Shooting is a cheap hobby compared to many others - that's what I tell her indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Where is Andy when you need him! He would say its all worth it!
    I know to much so hence can't say to much.
    Basically there is another step in the chain in nz compared to aussie.
    Aussie retailer buy their optics direct from nf aussie.
    Nz retailers have to by through HRE hence the disparity between aussie and nz.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    Unfortunately it's a consequence of living in paradise.
    Are you living in 2005 still?

It used to be acceptable to pay more for products for the lifestyle but not anymore. Almost every person I know that had immigrated to NZ now regrets doing so as the place isn't what it used to be.

As far as paying "local prices" other than ammo, primers and powder you can get everything else imported.
    If a local business relies on ripping off Kiwis then I'd rather support an overseas one.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    you misinterpreted my meaning...whats to stop the genuine distributor from sourcing his products in the same parrallel importd way,eg go and get them from overseas...SURELY if he or she can show whoever they normally get them off..that it is entirely posible and feasible to do so,there is very good chance they can renegotiate the terms/price they are paying
    not a lot diffrerent to the corner dairy owner buying trolley load of cocacola from paknsave when its on special and on selling in dairy..seen that done many many times over the years
    Nothing - if that genuine distributor is not worried about the contract agreements with the supplier. The supplier will be recording all of the serial numbers ordered - which will catch someone tricking their contract terms out eventually. It's not like coke cans which are identical and consumable and sold in volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    Unfortunately it's a consequence of living in paradise.

It's the same across every product we import. Which is pretty much everything.

I'm okay with it. I like living in NZ, and I'm happy to pay more for the nice shit that I want as a consequence.

Hunting/shooting is never gonna be a 'cheap' hobby. If you want cheap, take up tiddlywinks.
    I’m not ok with gouging. I work too hard for my money for gouging to be acceptable. The prices for Ziess and Swarovski on the mentioned website in Australia at first glance seem comparable with here, give or take a bit, exchange rate etc. but not NF, those prices are rude.

B
    10-Ring and 55six like this.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Nothing - if that genuine distributor is not worried about the contract agreements with the supplier. The supplier will be recording all of the serial numbers ordered - which will catch someone tricking their contract terms out eventually. It's not like coke cans which are identical and consumable and sold in volume.
    if the genuine distributor can show how much cheaper and easier it is to do it the "wrong way" to the supplier...surely the supplier is somehow obligated to sharpen the pencil and do the right thing to keep it legit???
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Scopes along with a lot of firearms related products are not high volume sellers.

A dealer has to pay the importer who pays the supplier (or the dealer pays the supplier) and then hold the item(s) in stock.

There are costs with holding items in stock.
    The dealer needs to make a return to pay their costs, including rent, staff, interest etc.

I don't begrudge the dealer making a living - if they don't they won't be in business and it will be a bigger nuisance to get stuff I want.

I do ask for (and get) a discount when either I'm buying a big quanity of something, or I'm getting something specifically brought in (and the dealer doesn't have a holding cost).

Some of the posters in this discussion thread seem - to me - to need a dose or reality.
    If you want local dealers then they have to charge enough to make a living otherwise you won't have local dealers.
    muzr257 and Fisherman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if the genuine distributor can show how much cheaper and easier it is to do it the "wrong way" to the supplier...surely the supplier is somehow obligated to sharpen the pencil and do the right thing to keep it legit???
    Nope that never happens. Most expensive gear is serial number tracked from minute it leaves the manufacturer.
    Most local distributors have fairly tight distribution agreements. I suspect what would happen is the grey market supplier (overseas) will have a talking too about supplying "outside" his "market" and be left with no illusions what will happen if it continues.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Plus with scopes that are 'dual use' and have a military application a lot of countries have extremely strict export restrictions...