Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Right who got their Ruger Precision Rifles ?

308 i think

I have seen guys oversea's use the AI AW mag in the RPR , and although the size of the AI AW & the AI AICS mags are the same size , width & lenght , the catch appears to be slightly different height ?
    So I tried the AW mag , and it fits OK , but on my gun seems to not quite latch up , its close , but it will not click in fully .

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    I have seen guys oversea's use the AI AW mag in the RPR , and although the size of the AI AW & the AI AICS mags are the same size , width & lenght , the catch appears to be slightly different height ?
    So I tried the AW mag , and it fits OK , but on my gun seems to not quite latch up , its close , but it will not click in fully .

Ive got a 10 rnd AI and fits mine fine, you will notice that the mag release has two stages, first stage releases the rear catch then it releases the side. The pmags limit the bullet length so you are miles off the lands, not that it seems to make much difference shoots under 1/4 @ 100

All 3 mags fit into the mag well , however in my rifle , only the pmag & AI AICS mag latches up , the AI AW mag does to click in at all .

There are about 100 pages of discussion on this platform at snipers hide (quite a bit technical not just drooling) so someone will have posted info on mag clicking. If you can find it !

An Oxymoron, Ruger Precision. That does make me chuckle a bit
    Like you say though Chris, they no doubt have a lot a lot of features for their price point. I hope you get a good run with it and expectations are met. Look forward to hearing about your results.

@ Moutere - Smirk all you like but I shot mine the other day at 500 yards (F Class style but I don't have a sophisticated bipod yet) and shot 4 super bulls in a row (5 is a row is about as good as I can ever do with a full blown target rifle). Tried a group at 500- first 3 shots into 19mm (the markers couldn't believe it) and the last 2 opened it out to 72mm, which would have made all 5 in a super bull had I been shooting an F class target and been on pint of aim. All with a 10 power scope.

There is something about the ergonomics that seems to work with this rifle design. Add that its not heavy, magazine fed (I took mine Tahr hunting) and its a real practical rifle.
    nor-west, madjon_, Moutere and 2 others like this.

Yeah ,

Until I get some 6.5 CM brass & dies etc , and a set of high 34mm rings , it will not be getting shoot any tme soon , actually , I had given up on it , it was ordered so long ago .
    Other wise I would have the stuff to shoot it .

Later Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Yeah ,

Until I get some 6.5 CM brass & dies etc , and a set of high 34mm rings , it will not be getting shoot any tme soon , actually , I had given up on it , it was ordered so long ago .
    Other wise I would have the stuff to shoot it .

Later Chris
    Maybe @ANTMAN has dies????

Hi Guys. Noob here. Been told that my RPR 6.5CM is about 2-3 weeks away and I cannot wait to get my grubby hands on it

In the meantime, and due to the shortage of brass, I've successfully converted .308 into 6.5CM. I'm in the process of prepping it for fire forming and neck turning just as soon as the rifle arrives.

I've also decided on getting the Sightron SIII 6-24×50 FFP MOA - that's if I can find one in the country... or I might just import it myself but weighting whether the $200 difference is worth the local warranty. (and yes, I wish I could afford an NF or S&B or the Vorted HD Gen II but I can't take the risk of being in the dog house permanently lol)

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences with the RPR, and hopefully bumping into you at the range

Just remember because its a flat top , not like a normal rifle that has the barrel dip away from the action ,mount etc , you will need higher than normal rings to mount any scopes on it .
    Carpe Diem likes this.

If you can't find a sightron, I picked up the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 for mine and can't fault it (was in the same dog house situation if I got something bigger ). Mate has the Sightron SIII in SFP and was impressed by the vortex, was about $300 cheaper too.

I use the warne xskel mount for mine, does the job nicely.

Thanks. Ordered and paid for the Sightron FFP... And it should be here in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Add that its not heavy, magazine fed (I took mine Tahr hunting) and its a real practical rifle.
    Ruger website says 9.7lb for 20" 308 and 11lb for 26" 243, you obviously have a different definition of a heavy rifle to me!
    Jexla likes this.

Mine was 13.8 ibs , scoped, bipoded and loaded with 5 rounds when I took it Tahr hunting in November (its since shed about 2 lbs) I did make sure I had a good sling, I use a double length of 25mm tubular webbing. I do prefer carring it having shed the couple of lbs, but I think the current fashion of light rifles is way over-hyped. I carried the Ruger up to nearly 2000 metres (and I'm on the wrong side of 50 and hardly ''strongly built at 1.83m and 75 kgs - should be 72 really) without any bother. My Mauser Kurz weights 6.3 lbs scoped and dripping wet, but the weight of the rifle doesn't influence me when I decide which one will come with me.

The followers of fashion will moan (again) and point out numerous nebulous advantages of light rifles but they don't cut any ice with me.