Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Rolling block

Quote Originally Posted by rusl View Post
    Very nice rifle mate that is perfect, 38 special doesn't seam like a calibre they would have come out in, did you have it rebarreled or just re chamered?

Any one got one they are thinking of moving on, ready to go or a project rifle I would be interested in as long as all parts are there.
    @rusl
    Rebarrel
    I just need to decide what to do for a rear sight now.
    Its now got a brand new front sight ramp and blade in it.

I might sell it because i want to put some funds into a big $ project that will take a year to pull together

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    I just finished slow rust bluing a Remington #2 Rolling Block with a new barrel in .38 Special.
    Barrel has had its last treatment and is resting in heavy oil overnight before the whole rifle goes back together with its new stock tomorrow.
    It will be in the " Walnut and blued steel" post tomorrow.

Still need to mill up a basic receiver peep sight for it

Lovely actions.
    Strong and simple
    Pics pics pics
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Pics pics pics
    @Tommy
    Pics are in the Walnut and blued steel post

Quote Originally Posted by mimms View Post
    I know where one is in .303. Boer war era, I believe it was rebarreled/converted, and I guess Martini-henri.
    Very smooth action. As to how many made it to NZ... anyone's guess.
    If it’s a .303 it’s a Martini Enfield, and most likely is a rebarelled Martini Henry.
    More meplat, more better.

The Remington rolling block sporting rifles were sold commercially in NZ, mostly .22 and .32 rimfire, but I have seen centrefire .44's and .303's in several NZ collections. I have only ever owned the rimfires in both calibres, neat little rifles and well-made, both in solid frame and takedown.

Quote Originally Posted by tanqueray View Post
    If it’s a .303 it’s a Martini Enfield, and most likely is a rebarelled Martini Henry.
    I've just twigged that it's actually a falling block, so that sounds about correct.

Being pedantic, the martini is a tipping block it pivots at the rear. The sharps, stevens, farhqson, are falling blocks that slide down to expose the chamber.
    tanqueray likes this.

@akaroa1 how much does it weigh? I have in my mind that they would be light and quick to the shoulder but having never handled one I'm possibly way off.

To be honest I think you will want more than I can pay for your rifle, rebarreled and restored up nice like it is, but let me know if you do decide to sell it. I was more thinking of an old one that's been sitting in the back of someone's safe for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    Finally got around to reading this, that thing at the end of the article is a crazy looking gun, I bet that you could scare your mates with that. Interesting read though I had never heard of rimfire cartridges bigger than .22 guess I'm going down another rabbit hole of research.

https://www.ubertireplicas.com/produ...rifle-carbine/

Probably mega dollars but one in .22 hornet would be pretty sweet, they have a lot of drop in the stock, I'm guessing this is to get you low to the irons but it looks weird after looking at all the modern stock styles for so long.

@rusl My baby carbine .38 Special weights 5lb 1oz
    Its barrel is 17.5" / 450mm long

I did ot all as a baby carbine but without the traditional carbine butt plate because i don't much like them.
    The M70 butt plates are just awesome to shoulder and a very nice touch on a new walnut stock

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    @rusl My baby carbine .38 Special weights 5lb 1oz
    Its barrel is 17.5" / 450mm long

I did ot all as a baby carbine but without the traditional carbine butt plate because i don't much like them.
    The M70 butt plates are just awesome to shoulder and a very nice touch on a new walnut stock
    From your photos, that checkered butt plate gives the stock a very smart, crisp and finished look - good choice.