Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Ruger 10/22 or Remington 597?

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Would have a Marlin 795 or older Marlin 60 any day over the Ruger or Remington. Marlin rimfire rifles use the micro-groove rifling and I've never come across one that didn't shoot well. Have a friends M60 in my gun cabinet that shoots 10 shot half inch groups at 50m with Mini-Mags - as good or even slightly better than my Brno Model 1 with target ammo.

Used and seen plenty of Ruger 10/22's that had terrible accuracy, a couple that were average and one that shot well. The Remington 597's I've used and seen shoot okay but not as accurately as a Marlin.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    ive had both the ruger is fine if you want to gay it up i guess its like a dress up doll for guys i didnt like the one i had at the club i shoot at if any rifle is going to play up during the detail it will be the guy with a 10/22 the 597 i had was a way better rifle mind you i put a vq target hammer in it and that really improved the trigger and just put 8 rounds in the mag and it ran fine both were a dit fussy with ammo the best 22 semi ive owned and you might find a few people will say the same was a stirling no gay bits available for it but it didnt need them it would shoot what ever ammo you fed it never jammed was more accurate than the other 2 by far
    Wow is your . button broken?
    Wirehunt and Moutere like this.

northdude
    No but we can start a thread on it if you want
    Tommy and coltace like this.

I have a 597 and meeeeeh. It looks good and I like that it's full sized. The scope is sheite and I can't really be flagged spending any more $ on it. I got it for my son to learn on but he actually wants a bolt action with iron sights so I could part with it if your interested. I was thinking its worth is less than what you mentioned, that would allow you to get the scope you wanted. If you are interested drop me a line.

I haven't figured out how to add photos but I'm happy to email a photo or two

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    No but we can start a thread on it if you want
    Nah, it'd be way too hard to read.
    Wirehunt, Kscott and specweapon like this.

Had a 597, with the wooden stock, it shot very accurately, cheek rest on the stock was very comfortable. The 10/22 is handy if you want to pimp it up with extras. Now have a Marlin 795 which is super accurate and have no intention of replacing.

And then the full stop.

Ruger.
    Dan M

Rugers fullstop alright, fully stop working when you need them to. Mind you the 10/22's that i have used belong to guys you would never lend a rifle or chainsaw to. Worst thing for them is leave the mags loaded, stretches the spring
    Danny likes this.

From a gunsmith's perspective I cannot recommend the Remington 597. The magazines are poorly designed and jam frequently, the trigger is a wierd design of stamped and bent wire parts, and the receiver at the the barrel mounting is very weak and frequently cracks. Despite the horrible factory trigger, the Ruger 10/22 is vastly superior, being both more reliable and stronger. It is a simple and inexpensive job to tune the Ruger trigger to a reliable and crisp 2.5 pounds, and tune the action to suit subsonic ammo. All of the after-market parts for the 10/22 are totally uneccessary as the factory parts (including the barrel) are capable of excellent performance with an inexpensive tune. A properly set-up 10/22 should give 1/2" groups at 50 metres with factory parts and total reliability.
    Danny likes this.

Marlin. Check out Rimfire Central. When I was looking for a semi I checked the US forums and found out who had both the Ruger and the Marlin. They liked the Ruger for pimping and fun but if they wanted to go and hunt they would invariably pick up the Marlin as it was more reliable and accurate straight out of the box. There is a reason it is the most popular 22lr semi action in the world outselling Ruger roughly 2:1.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Picked up a Marlin 795ss of tardme after asking someone on here about it. Came with macrbo trigger. Shortened to 5mm over legal i think. Tiny dpt can. Puts 5 shots into 1 hole at 25m with win subs. Easy 10 shots into about than 75mm swinging target at 100m with subs or normals quick shooting. Mags are a bit annoying but have a bolt action marlin so good to change between. Been pretty good on pests out past 100m so far.

The trigger on the 795 is quite heavy and muddy, but sent my hammer assembly (as opposed to whole action/rifle, takes under a minute to remove it from the rifle) to a forum member who reworked it and now I'm happy as Larry with it. The McCarbo trigger kit is only about $40 too. I have one I'm saving for when I find a 70PSS...

A Marlin Papoose 70P or 70PSS (stainless version) would actually be a viable alternative too. It's essentially a 795 takedown, uses same mags, same hammer assembly I believe (so the McCarbo trigger kit works on it). Lovely little rifle.

I had a 597 and couldn't get rid of it fast enough... terrible trigger, terrible accuracy and I didn't like the feel of it overall. Maybe I just had a dud..

res
    Of the options the op asked about, 10/22 by far
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jackbowring View Post
    I'm looking for a new semi auto .22lr and currently town between a Remington 597 and a Ruger 10/22. I like the idea of the more sturdy 597 that just seems like its built better, but then there is the fully customisable Ruger. I know the older 597 models used to jam when cycling but apparently the new ones don't (Metal instead of plastic magazine). Ruger is around $500 bare, 597 is $450 Scoped.

Just wondering what everyone's preferences are and why? (Different semi auto .22lr aswell)

Ruger 10/22 no question about it. Easy to strip & clean, plenty of add-on accessories & still reasonably priced AND they'll be around for another 40 odd years as long as Hillary doesn't get into the whitehouse or queer helen doesn't get to be in charge of the UN!!!!!!!!!
    300CALMAN likes this.