Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Ruger 10/22 or Remington 597?

Quote Originally Posted by clavulanate View Post
    I had a 597 and couldn't get rid of it fast enough... terrible trigger, terrible accuracy and I didn't like the feel of it overall. Maybe I just had a dud..
    I think I have sold ONE in 20 years of firearm retailing!!!!! That says it all,eh???

I recall doing a range test and review on a new Marlin model 60 for the Marlin/Remington importer several years ago, and at the time he acknowledged the Remmy 597 was a problem child for them. Avoid.

Sons have had 6 Rugers in various states of development and the only one that shot well had only the trigger blade remaining from the original rifle - someone had spent $1200 on it. Nothing else left on it was ruger made. Useful little semis but not if you prize accuracy. Average bench test for consecutive 5 shot groups at 50m (ignoring the occasional good group) was 1-2". Very poor.

Marlins consistently very accurate - some of them astonishing. Basic rifle, excellent barrel. Here's an old thread which includes Marlin 60 bench test:

Three .22 sharpshooters

Very few Marlin 60s around unless imported through Outdoor Brands, so for an accurate little semi sharpshooter I'd pick up a Marlin 795SS Stainless off trademe and run CCI product through it. Or try a 10/22 and take up gundoc's offer.
    Tommy likes this.

Thanks for all the feedback. Currently leaning away from Ruger, and im getting a lot of mixed reviews on the 597. Some say its great and some say its absoulete sheit, Im wanting to know the people that have owned 597's and think they are crap... are these the older or new models you are taking about. Because apparetnly it took them two generations of box magazine to get it right on the 3rd gen (Cast alloy casing instead of Plastic). Id also like a 25rnd clip to go with it but apparently Remington 25's and all the after market ones are rubbish. Also after all the positive reviews for Marlin 795's, I think I may have a deeper look into them? Thanks, Again

Where in the country are you? If you're up here in Auckland I can meet you at the range one day and you can have a play with a few different semiauto .22's, inc a 795SS, 10/22, and a Brno 581, if that'll help you make your mind up. A lot of people buy based on reading lots on the web and end up disappointed with their choice once they have it in hand, then struggle to sell it for 2/3rd the $ they bought it for...

Also,
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbowring View Post
    Also after all the positive reviews for Marlin 795's, I think I may have a deeper look into them? Thanks, Again
    You are aware that poking a 25 round mag into a rimfire semi is naughty and can get you in a whole pile of shit if you and the rifle don't have the correct endorsement?

Yeah Im well aware of that. Thanks for the offer but I live down In Palmerston North. I understand what you mean, which is why im trying to get as much feedback as I can!

northdude
    My experience with the one 597 I had was this when I first got it it was one of those full over barrel ported suppressed ones with standard trigger it was a piece of shit it never cycled properly always had stove pipes and was hopelessly inaccurate with any kind of ammo and wasn't quiet either I found it basic as to take apart and reassemble from memory there's 1 spring that you can put upside down and then it doesn't go properly I got a standard barrel and fitted that put the target hammer in it and it was a whole different rifle it shot really well mags would still give problems if you put more that 8 in them go with what mudgripz says he knows his shit in this department

Only owned the Ruger but mine is accurate and reliable.

I gave a 597. Built 2006. Accurate and not jammed on me yet......

Sent from the swamp

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    The 597 i used was a total dog jammed up and magazines were shockingly bad
    You might like to try this one, just maybe.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    My experience with the one 597 I had was this when I first got it it was one of those full over barrel ported suppressed ones with standard trigger it was a piece of shit it never cycled properly always had stove pipes and was hopelessly inaccurate with any kind of ammo and wasn't quiet either I found it basic as to take apart and reassemble from memory there's 1 spring that you can put upside down and then it doesn't go properly I got a standard barrel and fitted that put the target hammer in it and it was a whole different rifle it shot really well mags would still give problems if you put more that 8 in them go with what mudgripz says he knows his shit in this department
    Agreed about over filling the mags, states 10 and likes 7 but the damn thing fits. One day I will try another but still like it.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

My 597 was a dog, got a 10/22 all good.

I have 4 x 10 shot and 1 x 7. All cycle fine when filled up. My 795 cycles subs endlessly. Apart from those new cci ultra quiet segmented hollow points. But to be expected as they wouldn't have enough grunt to put the bolt back.