Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Running out of elevation adjustment - advice

Running out of elevation adjustment - advice

HI

I have acquired a Franchi Horizon 300WM that's had some trouble getting a zero.

Has 2 piece rem700 bases on it with some unknown rings and a Burris signature 5-25x50 scope, have tried sighting it in and am always running out of elevation up adjustment at about 50 yards. It's usually 6inches low before it can't be elevated anymore. I have turned the scope dials each way counting clicks etc to get back to the center, also tried another old scope and shimmed the back base with the same issue happening.

I might be missing something simple but does anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking it might need some different bases

Thanks in advance

Post up a picture mate. Might help identify the issue. 2 piece base, you haven't got them back to front?

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk

@leololol I think you may have shimmed the wrong end. I may be wrong but I think you need to lift the front end to get more dialable elevation.

Does this scope dial up, I made a stupid mistake once with my Z5. I just turned the turret on top and ran out of elevation but what I should have done was remove the turret and wind the elevation around before putting the turrets back on. I had plenty of elevation.
    Bagheera likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

Nope has done it correctly, need to lift the back or drop the front to get extra elevation.
    Trout, Makros, tetawa and 3 others like this.

Maybe try a rail with 20moa tilt on it.
    Gibo likes this.

The Franchi horizon is higher in the front of the action than the back. I bet you've got the front mount on the rear and vice versa. Only possibly thing that could leave your scope pointing so high.
    The Burris has 65 MOA total adjustment in elevation, meaning 32.5MOA up or down from centre, so you have a upwards tilt of somewhere around 40MOA. Nothing else but two rings of different height or bases of the incorrect height could cause this bad of misalignment.

Sorry, my bad. I got that round the wrong way. Yes should be higher at the rear. Just looked at my 20moa rail and definitely higher at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    The Franchi horizon is higher in the front of the action than the back. I bet you've got the front mount on the rear and vice versa. Only possibly thing that could leave your scope pointing so high.
    The Burris has 65 MOA total adjustment in elevation, meaning 32.5MOA up or down from centre, so you have a upwards tilt of somewhere around 40MOA. Nothing else but two rings of different height or bases of the incorrect height could cause this bad of misalignment.
    That would be hard to achieve wouldn't it? It uses Rem 700 style bases and these have a different hole spacing for front and rear ...

Quote Originally Posted by Shamus_ View Post
    That would be hard to achieve wouldn't it? It uses Rem 700 style bases and these have a different hole spacing for front and rear ...
    Wrong height bases then whatever the method.

Name:  20240521_192946.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  3.00 MBName:  20240521_192939.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  2.80 MBName:  20240521_192936.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  2.74 MB

Thanks for the replies, I have chucked some photos up of the bases. I'll take them off soon and measure them to see if they are different heights but it would explain the issue.

you wont need to take them off to measure them
    75/15/10 black powder matters

they look like pretty std weaver type bases...give us photo of rings too please...... are you sure they are the same height "rings".

Is the barrel straight?
    Micky Duck likes this.

a simple test to see if the scope is bent...is to turn it 90 degrees in the rings.....seen it before the body of scope is bent ...have you tried boresighting it??? would be interesting as to what that tells you... even placed in black n decker workmate and looking length of your section will tell you if scope is pointing when hole in barrel is or not....... a massive pressure point issue is the only other thing I can think of causing issue.