Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Rusted bolt carrier group

That's the good shit. Do you have access to a compressor?
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

northdude
    Or try ultrasonic cleaner
    Bill999 likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    That's the good shit. Do you have access to a compressor?
    Yes. What do I do with it? I was planning to soak it in a jar then leave it to get hot then cold outside in the sun.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Or try ultrasonic cleaner
    Good thinking, I have one of these too.

Do the degrease and the vinegar. Will eat only the rust - unless you leave it soaking in it for days or forget it all over again of course (-:

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Do the degrease and the vinegar. Will eat only the rust - unless you leave it soaking in it for days or forget it all over again of course (-:
    Just be careful with the vinegar in this weather. You might get it mixed up with the jar of pickled onions as you're sinking a cold one. Ah, fond memories of visiting Aus in my last lot of school holidays ever.

Stick with the stuff you have in the bottle and good that it is something you can reasonably easily replaced so not too much to lose. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

northdude
    Waikato would probably eat the rust off as well
    dannyb likes this.

Keep in mind if it's blued that normal bluing is in fact rust ( black iron oxide) so rust removers can remove bluing. They can also eat some finishes like phosphate... depends on the remover solution. Acids can etch metal too... all depends on the remover and what you're doing with it.

Gentlest method is submersing the bolt in a thin oil (penetrating oil, kerosene etc) and leaving it somewhere warm for a week or two. Wiggle it, tap gently with a piece of wood, repeat. I have in the past heated oil to free particularly rusted parts but be very careful - oil burns or fires are a possibility if you aren't careful - the sun can be just as good a heating method, just takes longer.
    Hunter_killer likes this.

Banned
    Should have time to attack it today. Will post pics when I do. I could care less about aesthetics (clearly past that point).

Quote Originally Posted by canross View Post
    Keep in mind if it's blued that normal bluing is in fact rust ( black iron oxide) so rust removers can remove bluing. They can also eat some finishes like phosphate... depends on the remover solution. Acids can etch metal too... all depends on the remover and what you're doing with it.

Gentlest method is submersing the bolt in a thin oil (penetrating oil, kerosene etc) and leaving it somewhere warm for a week or two. Wiggle it, tap gently with a piece of wood, repeat. I have in the past heated oil to free particularly rusted parts but be very careful - oil burns or fires are a possibility if you aren't careful - the sun can be just as good a heating method, just takes longer.
    Yep, I found out the hard way with my first AR15 within a week of getting it. Put the BCG in the sonic cleaner AND solution.
    End result was a $3300 Schmeisser AR with a 2 tone BCG.

I now only use brake cleaner and my Cat tool for cleaning the bolt.
    Welcome to Sako club.

do you do the shaving cream trick afterwards @dogmatix ?

Nah, I use an electric shaver, so never have cream.
    Welcome to Sako club.

I use a razor, but no cream, just water. Works a treat, especially under the shower.

360 deg valve. spray upside down?
    not a bad product though.
    my method is turps 2 days, kero 2 days then penetrating oil for a week. if it dont release by then its all over

Put it in a nice tumpura batter and deep fry it, anything I do that to falls apart with the poke of a chopstick when it's not meant to 100% guaranteed
    Tussock and dannyb like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt