Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Papakura
    Posts
    1,370

    Sako Canted Rails Near Mfg

    After running out of elevation on my scopes mounted in Optilocks on my hunting rifles I started Googling for canted rails to fit Sako 75/85 models.
    I came across Near Mfg from Canada. Owner Richard Near makes canted and flat bases and one piece mounts for 75/85 Sakos, TRG'sand Weatherby's, amongst others.
    His 20 MOA rails slide onto the Sako tapered dovetails but need the receiver drilled and tapped. The 10 MOA rails slide onto the dovetails as well, and have an integral recoil lug, but are a friction fit. By trial fitting and filing / lapping, you get down to a 1.5mm overhang at the back. Then a good whack with a soft faced hammer seats the rail up to the recoil lug.....no epoxy, screws, etc. reqd.





    Prior to ordering, I contacted Near Mfg. You have to specify which Sako action you want the rail for, ie 75 II, III. IV or V, or 85 S, MS, M, or L.
    All my emails were answered promptly, same day given the time difference, and when I rang to confirm the order, I got to speak to a real person, who knows his product, and is happy to recommend a rail, with whatever cant, depending on your purpose.

    B

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Taranaki
    Posts
    1,488
    Looks like a nice piece of machining. Awesome service by the sounds of things as well. I assume they make them with a blued finish as well?
    Do they make one with a cut out over the action so you can still easily load the magazine through the action?

    I use optilocks on my longer range rifle. In order to cant the scope a bit to get me more use of the elevation in the scope the gunsmith inserted a small shim in the back scope mount to lift it slightly higher. You probably wouldn't notice it without looking really closely. With the optilock plastic ring inserts i didn't even have to lap the rings.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Papakura
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    Looks like a nice piece of machining. Awesome service by the sounds of things as well. I assume they make them with a blued finish as well?
    Do they make one with a cut out over the action so you can still easily load the magazine through the action?

    I use optilocks on my longer range rifle. In order to cant the scope a bit to get me more use of the elevation in the scope the gunsmith inserted a small shim in the back scope mount to lift it slightly higher. You probably wouldn't notice it without looking really closely. With the optilock plastic ring inserts i didn't even have to lap the rings.
    Finish....SS only
    Cut out......not advertised as such, he might do it, or get it done here, but might limit scope mounting fore/aft options?.
    Shims.....same problem on my Sako 85 6.5 x 55, prolly going to machine 0.75 mm off front base to lower Optilock front ring.

    B

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    999
    Thanks for showing us these, shift, vrry nice and well finished the near gear.

    A Rail would give better fore aft flexibility in mounting and allow a one piece ringmount but is higher and will need stock mods. If all you need is 10 moa slope then 0.5mm @ 100mm is about 18moa so milling the right part of the optilok base might be more elegant.

    The 5 shot detachable mag and top loading through the action are two great features of the sako. Watch out because gillie tried to talk me into a devious alternative ...

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    1,040
    idea on a price !!?

  6. #6
    Caretaker jakewire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    here
    Posts
    6,151
    Mark at Waitaki Engineering makes rails for Sakos here in Oamaru
    I have one on my Finn Light.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Papakura
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    idea on a price !!?
    $CDN175.00 for a rail

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Papakura
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Mark at Waitaki Engineering makes rails for Sakos here in Oamaru
    I have one on my Finn Light.
    Yes I think I've seen a picture of your rifle. I have one of their rails, it seems to be action specific, and needs the action to be drilled and tapped. The pitch of the pre-drilled holes doesn't suit any of my actions.

    B

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    lower hutt
    Posts
    1,040
    175 shipped to nz?

  10. #10
    Caretaker jakewire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    here
    Posts
    6,151
    Quote Originally Posted by shift14 View Post
    Yes I think I've seen a picture of your rifle. I have one of their rails, it seems to be action specific, and needs the action to be drilled and tapped. The pitch of the pre-drilled holes doesn't suit any of my actions.

    B
    Fair enough
    I had one of the roedale ones at first but sold it infavour of the one I have now.
    The Canadian one seems well made going by the photo.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Papakura
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Thanks for showing us these, shift, vrry nice and well finished the near gear.

    A Rail would give better fore aft flexibility in mounting and allow a one piece ringmount but is higher and will need stock mods. If all you need is 10 moa slope then 0.5mm @ 100mm is about 18moa so milling the right part of the optilok base might be more elegant.
    ...
    Yeah....I bought trouble trying to do this on Sako's with European scopes with shortish 30mm tubes. I ran out of internal elevation adjustment on my Diavari's. I just want to be able to get the full 6.5 mil-rad elevation travel available. I toyed with milling the front base, but went in this direction. Still may go back to Optilock rings and bases, but that combo is heavier than the Nightforce Ultralight rings I have coming......they're 1" height, I might be able to get away with xtra-lo which are .885", depending on scope clearance.

    Have a look at my rifles on the gun porn thread, you'll see the rails and scopes installed.

    B

  12. #12
    Member kokako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    923
    Very nice. I think I need one for my TRG-S

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Papakura
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    175 shipped to nz?
    Plus post

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Papakura
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by kokako View Post
    Very nice. I think I need one for my TRG-S
    PM sent

  15. #15
    Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gore
    Posts
    1,804
    I have one of his Alphamounts (one piece ring/base setup that clamps to a picatinny rail). Very well made and surprisingly light for the size of it (bout 180g incl all hardware and its a 3 ring setup). I can second shift14's observations about Richards service too, very quick reply to email and cheap shipping relative to getting things from the USA ($12 from memory)
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Weaver - Picatinny rails ?
    By Ground Control in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-10-2013, 09:00 PM
  2. Sako WTB
    By jakewire in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 25-03-2013, 09:48 AM
  3. EGW rails for sale
    By jakewire in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-11-2012, 05:54 PM
  4. Sako 85 F/S
    By Dreamer in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13-09-2012, 05:02 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!