Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Savage trophy hunter or Ruger american

Question Savage trophy hunter or Ruger american

Looking at a .223 in one of the above, the Savage has a 9 twist barrel and the ruger a 10. Wanting something to use from bunnys to goats and maybe if one was extremely lucky a Fallow. Reloaders in Auckland have just got the Ruger in at $749 for bare rifle stainless/synthetic and fish city has the savage for $999 with weaver scope.
    Is one going to be more accurate than the other in one way or another ?

They will both shoot much of a muchness.
    The Savage plastic stock is better than the Ruger plastic, but neither is great.
    Savage has better trigger.
    So basically whichever one feels better in the hand is the one to go for. Try to talk fish city to $900-950 would be my choice of action.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

I think the savage is a little step up, and you will probably get better groups out of it. I've only shot the savage, but ive handled both. I didnt really like the plastic on either. But both stocks function well enough.
    Both seem like good rigs. Either will do what you want out of it. Buy what feels nicer to you

I've only played with the savage, I love it. Can't get enough of it actually!!! Can't wait to slay my first sika with it, it's an extension of my arm.

Maybe look at scope packages bang for buck too? My savage retails $1100 I think with a weaver
    Dangerous Dan and kiwishoota like this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Definitely the Savage! Accurate and great trigger. I have a trophy hunter in .223 with the package Weaver scope and I shoot rabbits to 400m + with Hornady training ammo
    Dangerous Dan likes this.

ebf
    Savage trophy hunter with scope combo is bloody good value...
    Dangerous Dan and Dougie like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

+1 for the Savage. Great wee rifle and I like the three position tang safety.
    Dangerous Dan likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I like Savages too Haven't used the Trophy Hunter but have owned (still do!) and used a few other models.

Haven't tried a Ruger American, but I have a Ruger Hawkeye and the Savage action is nicer.
    Last edited by GravelBen; 07-08-2014 at 01:00 AM.

Found your write up on the savage Dougie, great review.
    Dougie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    I like Savages too
    Never would have guessed.
    HUNTY, JoshC and GravelBen like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Well, I went down to fish city and looked at the Savage. It shouldered real nice and view through scope was instant.. no having to move head at all, trigger was very light factory set and bolt was smooth to cycle. Honestly at $949 for the package deal I couldn't say no, so home it came.
    Still might put the 8.5-25x44 on her though, just for the hell of it.

Yeahp, givin the glowing write up scribe gave the humble 223, I might have to pop up the road and see the boys at fish city also.....
    kiwishoota likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Yeahp, givin the glowing write up scribe gave the humble 223, I might have to pop up the road and see the boys at fish city also.....
    Fuk @Scribe .....what have you started??????
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Fuk @Scribe .....what have you started??????
    I am pleased, I have said this to a lot of people 'before you get too clever and try the smart shots make the shoulder your preferred point of aim'. It is quite close to the centre of the killing zone when a deer is standing side on and it has a good margin of error all round it. You will lose a lot of meat.

Square on the .222/223 will break the near shoulder rip a gruesome hole through the lungs and disable the far shoulder. So ride the bullet all the way to the target, listen for the thump and look for the lurch/stumble as they feel the prick. This is important because with a bit of practice the deer's reaction will tell you what it will next as mostly there will not be much of a blood trail as the bullet will fetch up against the skin on the far side an not leave an exit hole.

If you are bush hunting listen, a deer dead on its feet will make a lot of noise, breaking branches and rolling stones it will head down hill. If you find a lighter blood trail and the animal begins to sidle its still using its brains and there is probably only a 50/50 chance of finding it. If the animal begins climbing accept the fact that most of its parts a still working fairly well and the chances of catching up with it are not that great.

Remember if you wound an animal and you probably will, its your fault not the rifles. The killing areas are exactly the same for all rifles. If you are presented with an arse shot, look to tuck your bullet behind the rib on either side. If you cant and you are going to shoot it in the arse anyway tuck the bullet right up its date and its back end will hit the ground faster than MH17.

Understand I am not recommending arse shooting I am being realistic as I know that a good few new hunters and a few experienced hunters too who will, when its presented take such a shot.
    Scouser likes this.

Cheers Scribe just added to my knowledge (yet again) big time.......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!