Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Savage trophy hunter or Ruger american

I have put my name down for one of the Ruger American Rifle .223 Compact - These have a 1:8 RH Twist.
    ReLoaders website had it listed as a 1:10 twist and when I checked with Dan he said he had listed it wrong.
    As mentioned earlier; if you are new at this - don't use a .223 on deer.
    Goats, Wallabies, Hares, etc are fine but unless you are extremely confident with bullet placement and know the anatomy of a deer well, It is recommended that you use a 243 or bigger.
    I use a 7mm08 for deer and this new .223 will be for wallaby & goats.
    I must admit there has been many deer taken with the .223 and I am not saying don't do it - Just think about the shot before you pull the trigger.
    Just my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by kiwishoota View Post
    Looking at a .223 in one of the above, the Savage has a 9 twist barrel and the ruger a 10. Wanting something to use from bunnys to goats and maybe if one was extremely lucky a Fallow. Reloaders in Auckland have just got the Ruger in at $749 for bare rifle stainless/synthetic and fish city has the savage for $999 with weaver scope.
    Is one going to be more accurate than the other in one way or another ?
    The Ruger American Rifle .223 has actually a 1:8 RH barrel Twist.
    Go to the Ruger website & Check.
    Dan at Reloaders advertised these two days ago and listed them with a 1:10 twist.
    I pointed this out and he said that he had transcribed the specs incorrectly - 1:8 RH twist is correct.
    That means that this baby is suited to a much wider range of bullet weight
    I have a Compact one on order for wallabies

Out of curiosity, what trigger does the savage have? I have an American and the marksman trigger is awesome. I have used a savage Shorty with the accutrigger and it was awesome to but just the same as the marksman I thought

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

All the Savages bar the Axis and the Stephens have the accutrigger. You're correct that it's similar to the marksman trigger, but the accutrigger was the original (and still the best in my opinion) of that type of trigger on a rifle.

The success of the accutrigger can probably be measured in how many other american manufacturers have copied it, Marlin with the "Pro-Fire", the "Crossfire" on the Remington 783, and Ruger with the "Marksman trigger"

Of the others, I've only used the Pro-Fire in a Marlin, and found it a very poor imitation.

cool, i've used both and found them the same so have to disagree with those that said "go for the savage as it has a better trigger" but that is just my experience and the OP has bought the savage anyway so all good.
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.