Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Husky1600#2
  • 2 Post By Kiwi Greg
  • 4 Post By 6x47
  • 1 Post By Kiwi.bloke

Thread: Scope from Australia to NZ

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Scope from Australia to NZ

Hey all. My wife is going to Australia soon and I would like for her to bring a scope back for me. She can bring it back in her luggage.I've had a ferret around but couldn't find anything recent on the topic relating to this. Do I need an export permit from Aus to NZ. I believe I don't need an import permit but I'd be keen to know for certain. I can have the scope sent to an Aussie address for her to pick up (sister-in-law). I think I read someone on her even was able to claim back the GST? I'd probably pay online or over the phone with a CC.
    Thanks. James
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Pretty sure it’ll need to be in her carry on to claim the GST.

Yes, an export permit is (or at least used to be) required. However buggered if I can find where this is referenced these days sorry.
    In saying that, most of us have done it none the wiser of this requirement.

Get your wife to wrap it up as your birthday present, bring it back in check in baggage, all is good.
    crewe2 and Longrun like this.

Different states have different rules too, some like WA are pretty anal about firearms and related items etc.

Nah, put in hold luggage. I took out a ir pard in hand and hell I thought I would lose it but in the end it went thru. Chucked it in the luggage and no problem. Even had live ammo in one of the pack pockets go thru at one time. I travel with a take down bow and knife in the pack, all good.

No import permit required, but it is a good idea to get an export permit otherwise you can loose it, temporarily or longer depending on the scope

if its a tactical scope definitely get an export permit

Get an Aussie export permit or risk losing it or at the very least a big hassle retrieving it off ABF ( their Customs).

I had a bloody nightmare a few months back. Was over in Brisbane shooting at their Nationals and on the way out had my March High Master seized as the paperwork wasn't complete. The tart who did it fully conceded it was my scope that I'd brought into the country but wouldn't turn a blind eye. It took weeks of shagging about to sort it out. The final pissoff was DHL uplifting it for export for about $150 then returning it to ABF the following day saying they won't carry firearms parts. In the end, one of the Aussie team ( who were shooting in a TransTasman here) kindly brought it over but even that was a debacle. ABF did not have the scope at departures as promised and two nice young staff had to track it down at another storage facility and hand deliver it on the plane which was being held up! A bloody close call.

I’ve posted quite a few out with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've contacted Aussie Defence Force and they're quite easy to work with. I now need to register with ABF to get permit. There's now a bunch of forms I need to fill out but it's only looking like a long tickbox exercise from here. It's also free to do.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    I've contacted Aussie Defence Force and they're quite easy to work with. I now need to register with ABF to get permit. There's now a bunch of forms I need to fill out but it's only looking like a long tickbox exercise from here. It's also free to do.
    What you buying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Hey all. My wife is going to Australia soon and I would like for her to bring a scope back for me. She can bring it back in her luggage.I've had a ferret around but couldn't find anything recent on the topic relating to this. Do I need an export permit from Aus to NZ. I believe I don't need an import permit but I'd be keen to know for certain. I can have the scope sent to an Aussie address for her to pick up (sister-in-law). I think I read someone on her even was able to claim back the GST? I'd probably pay online or over the phone with a CC.
    Thanks. James
    Permit required especially anything remotely tacticool.

Download this TRS app.

Name:  IMG_2687.jpeg
Views: 153
Size:  387.9 KB

Tourist Refund Scheme. No paperwork to fill out. Can be done prior to going to the airport
    Generates a QR code for claiming Strine GST back. Item needs to be sighted by Customs at the Airport prior to departure.
    There’s a counter at each major airport.
    De-risks it being seized, bags are scanned outbound.

Might have to pay NZ GST on arrival tho….but better than being bent over if it’s a Nightforce.

B

Also a difference if the scope is on a rifle being exported vs a stand alone optical device. Also depends on who you get working that day!
    6x47 likes this.

I've been advised it takes 15-35 days to process FYI

That is very optimistic in my experience....
    I've had to do similar paperwork just to transit thru Oz for target shooting in S Africa. Even though we had zero access to the firearms, they still required a huge amount of paperwork.