Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Scope or binos?

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    The Vortex Diamondback bino's are very good optically. You'd be surprised at how good they are when compared to more expensive bino's. I'd go with the money on the scope based on what you have.

My thinking is that if I had the money I would upgrade the binos first. However for a $1000 investment I will get a custom rifle that I know is a shooter, a MUCH better scope, and a weekend guided tahr hunt with a guy that has been guiding for 40 years. I think that far outweighs simply spending a grand on new binos, that won't be bear the same quality as the new scope
    wsm junkie, Bagheera, Gibo and 1 others like this.

Yeah honestly, if you're not struggling with your binos now e.g. They're actually doing the job you need - Comfortable glassing for a few hours with them, not struggling to pick up animals that you know are there (Not the "There must be something here somewhere" type, but the "Just under that bluff beside the slip" type), then I'd say they'll still treat you fine for a few years yet.

You may not get that peak definition for counting the points on a stag across the valley, but you'll still be able to find the actual animal to begin with just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerNZ View Post
    Yeah honestly, if you're not struggling with your binos now e.g. They're actually doing the job you need - Comfortable glassing for a few hours with them, not struggling to pick up animals that you know are there (Not the "There must be something here somewhere" type, but the "Just under that bluff beside the slip" type), then I'd say they'll still treat you fine for a few years yet.

You may not get that peak definition for counting the points on a stag across the valley, but you'll still be able to find the actual animal to begin with just fine.
    Depends on your type of hunting too. I used to think that my middle of the road binos were sweet as and did as good a job as anything would, then I was sitting up a ski field access road one afternoon, bright daylight and spotted a hind standing in the open on a slip (using ELs) , she was pretty far off so I ranged her and she was 2200yds away. I had no intention of going over there but I had my old binos in my truck so decided it was a good chance for a comparison. Got them out and I literally couldnt see her, the view still looked fine to me but there just wasnt the same definition there and I couldnt pick her up, the only way I knew she was there was because I could see her through my swaros. Now if that had been a week long roar trip and that hind had been the stag of a lifetime and I didnt have decent binos, I would have never known it was there.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

GWH
    I use the same Diamondback binos, as others have said they are actually pretty bloody good optically, in many cases that ive done side by side tests with other binos 3-4 times the money, the Diamond backs are better, and that was echoed by the owners of the more expensive binos too.

Most of my hunting it long range stuff these days, some of the places i hunt (including a trip this last weekend) i was spotting deer at 1500 to 2000 yards away no problem with them and my eyes are far from perfect.

You could easily spend $1000 or a bit more and end up with binos that were no better than what you have now. You'd need to spend 3 to 4K to see any big improvement over what you have to be honest.

Banned
    Binos for me. A great scope wont make an ordinary rifle shoot better so match them for quality. The only really important matter is being able to see game and shoot in poor light / darkness

Quote Originally Posted by CamFlatt View Post
    My thinking is that if I had the money I would upgrade the binos first. However for a $1000 investment I will get a custom rifle that I know is a shooter, a MUCH better scope, and a weekend guided tahr hunt with a guy that has been guiding for 40 years. I think that far outweighs simply spending a grand on new binos, that won't be bear the same quality as the new scope
    That sounds like a screamer of a deal, Id jump on that. You'll upgrade both at some point but might as well jump on the deal.

Also FWIW i still use the diamondbacks and have spotted and shot a bunch of animals with them, although Im not hunting south island big country though. If you want a cheap way to improve how many animals you are seeing with the binos throw em on a tripod. Makes a world of difference. Alpha glass is mean but plenty of deer shot without it

Tough one, both equally as important. Ive had good scopes longer then Ive had good binos (only just upgraded to a pair of leica's). I still spotted animals with my cheaper binos but I could never have made some of the shots I'm doing without the better scope.
    Gibo and mawzer308 like this.

I went ahead and bought the rifle/scope package. I'll have to stick with my Diamondbacks for a while longer

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Don't glass for long periods with a scope - it can screw up your eye functions in the short term through having one eye shut and big magnification through the other especially in high UV or lots of blue light creeping in. Seen a couple of people give themselves migraines doing that - best to stick with bino's as that's how we roll on a day to day basis (or most of us anyway some tend to only use one eye all the time). And, having been on the end of it with someone glassing with their rifle it's not very nice to be looking over at someone glassing your direction with the rifle up.
    Yeah i have no plans to spend any considerable time glassing with the scope. I like sitting comfortably, and its pretty hard to hold a rifle up for any sustained length of time. At least way less comfortable than binos

So what rig did you get.

Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    So what rig did you get.
    Name:  Screenshot_20190920-152433.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  649.6 KB

Lightweight 7mm08 rifle made by Match Grade Arms out of Houston USA about 10 years ago, based on a Howa 1500 action, with a Timney trigger and a full barrel Gun Works suppressor, with a Zeiss Victory HT 2.5-10 x 50 BT dial up scope. Cost $4300 to build, plus scope on top. Picking it up this avo
    tikka, 25 /08 IMP, Shearer and 5 others like this.

That's a sweet rig mate, you've gotta be stoked with that!

If you buy a quality set of binos you have and use them for decades. You only buy one pair. Scopes you normally buy more of or change to suit your rifle. You don't need to do that with binos.
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    That's a sweet rig mate, you've gotta be stoked with that!
    Mate I'm absolutely stoked! I'm am amping to get it out for a shoot! It's so beautifully balanced, and is so light. Going to the range tomorrow, then out for an overnight hunt Sunday night. Can't wait
    Shearer, Frodo and dannyb like this.