Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Scope capable of dialing

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    they are about $1000USD - not the victory's though

Quote Originally Posted by CreepingDeath View Post
    Ill probly get strung up for this but i wouldnt touch a zeiss for dialing. Any zeiss. If your gunna throw that sorta coin at it then s and b

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Funny thing is talking about failing scopes i have it on good authority that s and b's have their share of failures and have personally seen two mk4 tac that have fucked out.
    On the other hand i have been abusing my zeiss and nf for several years and have had no reports of diavari failures or nf failures and i rate both of them right up there.
    the conquest might have their issues but dont lump them all together as shit as that is not the case.
    The glass and adjustments are second to none on my diavari and i know that as i have used optics most people only dream about.my nf is not to far behind and my vx3 8x25 with target turrets is right up there as well for clarity and adjustments.
    If ever you come through taihape CD call in and judge for yourself the quality of the zeiss
    Cheers Andy
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Re: Scope capable of dialing

Hey i like the glass theyre fukin awsome. I personally seen a diavari fail at the range on a 308. And reports from other people theres no way id put a conquest on my kids gun. If it works for you then thats cool im not bagging it this is just my opinion. Never once heard of a pmII letting go. As for the mk 4s have a look back through this thread ive already stated loopies are over rated.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    Funny thing is talking about failing scopes i have it on good authority that s and b's have their share of failures and have personally seen two mk4 tac that have fucked out.
    On the other hand i have been abusing my zeiss and nf for several years and have had no reports of diavari failures or nf failures and i rate both of them right up there.
    the conquest might have their issues but dont lump them all together as shit as that is not the case.
    The glass and adjustments are second to none on my diavari and i know that as i have used optics most people only dream about.my nf is not to far behind and my vx3 8x25 with target turrets is right up there as well for clarity and adjustments.
    If ever you come through taihape CD call in and judge for yourself the quality of the zeiss
    Cheers Andy
    Bit of topic as the diavari is 4 times his budget but my one shat out when it was 3 months old, I since sold all my zeiss scopes think I had 5 and would never touch one again.
    It did have awesome glass but no better than the other top scopes.
    You cant really compare the NF and Diavari, the diavari has the best glass but the NF wont break or let you down.

Caretaker
    "You cant really compare the NF and Diavari, the diavari has the best glass but the NF wont break or let you down."

Thats it in a nutshell.

There are only so many Hot -Cold cycles some scopes can put up with, your choosing between durability and utmost glass clarity.
    Having shot many deer out past 900yrds within ten minutes either side of 9 PM on a summers evening I am completely happy with the 10moa per turn 5.5-22x56 NPR1 Nightforce. I also use the newer 20 moa per turn NF with its noticeably better glass.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

As always seems to happen this thread has veered away from the OP's selection criteria.

$1500 or less and accurate dialling is his main concern. So, with that in mind, all this talk about Diavari's, S&B's etc isnt really helping him

I still think a second hand MK4 will be about his best option. Although, if Looseunit has sharp finance options on the NF that could be a contender.

Edit - I just read the OP as well and $800-$1400 is the range and 500 mtrs max.

6500 2.5-16. Done!
    Last edited by Proudkiwi; 08-02-2013 at 11:11 AM.
    kiwijames likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by faregame View Post
    What options are there?; in something capable of being dialed
    $800 - $1400

4x zoom at bottom end would be the max I'd want - preferable 40-44mm objective

Turrets can be under caps - just be be easy to reset

VX3
    Vortex - who has used them?
    Sightron

Or as I only really shoot to 500m - a scope with a suitable reitcale
    For about $1300au you'll get a swaro Z3 4-12x50mm ballistic turret - I bit bigger objective than you were chasing but a beautiful scope.I was going to get one until I fell in love with the Leupold VX-R

Or the Swaro Z3 4-12x50mm with the Ballistic Reticle System (BR Reticle) - My brother has one and its a beautiful scope - it'll sort you out with long shots once you figure out the drop.

I should also add in the Leupold VX-R which I have is a beautiful scope. I do a lot of low light shooting - on dawn and dusk and if you do that the red dot is a great asset when you cant make out the X-Hair. Food for thought but probably not exactly what your chasing

yep getting closer- actually a few options

Sightron SIII 3.5-10 X 44 - bit low in the magnification
    Bushnell 6500 - not sure what the turrets look like
    Vortex HS
    VX3 (maybe VXr) with CDS in moa
    Zeiss HD5
    Swaro - Z3 - 50mm though - hadn't noticed the Swaro in that bracket

Glass is important to me - the last three would be in the running?

I'm selling 2 rifles to have just 1 nicer one that I use every time -

I had a nightforce a few years ago - sold it to another forum member - just too bulky and heavy - nice though

swaro z6 3-18x50 but its not in that price range
    BURN BABY BURN
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by geezejonesy View Post
    swaro z6 3-18x50 but its not in that price range
    I think the poor fella wants some money left in his bank! beautiful scopes though!

just take out a bigger loan, banks always wantin to lend me more $$$$$$$$$
    yes its a beaut scope got one on my 300wm
    BURN BABY BURN
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

its where that kinda of $$ scope would wind up - pretty sure the quality or zoom wouldn't be useful - and the objective would hurt too much!!!

Z3 has got my eye - not heavy either so the 50mm ok - (My NF was 32oz or something)

Anyone use one with the Turret?
    What is the glass like to the other Swaro Z5 etc

Quote Originally Posted by faregame View Post
    its where that kinda of $$ scope would wind up - pretty sure the quality or zoom wouldn't be useful - and the objective would hurt too much!!!

Z3 has got my eye - not heavy either so the 50mm ok - (My NF was 32oz or something)

Anyone use one with the Turret?
    What is the glass like to the other Swaro Z5 etc
    My brother worked in a gunshop and found out one thing that has stuck with me about swaro - for at least Z4 and I'm pretty certain Z5 the only difference in the glass between those and Z3 is that there is no difference.
    It is the same glass and the only difference is that Z5 and Z4 are manufactured and assembled in europe whereas Z3 is sent to be assembled in USA. They did it because they wanted to break into the more mainstream scope scene and be assimilated with the word "affordability" as opposed to being all so expensive while still maintaining a high class.

I havent personally used it but when I was on the verge of buying one I handled them a lot. The have 3 colours red, green and yellow that you set to different distances as well as a white one which from memory is the zero. They have a phone app or through their website there is a program that allows you to put in all the detail for either factory or handload info and it works out your calculated drop for different distances so that you can set it all up accurately.
    Something worth looking into I think.
    As I said before I would've got one but the VX-R was more practical as I do far more low light shooting then long stuff that would require that. My 300wm is flat shooting so out to 350m as long as I know where she's shooting I'm comfortable without need for a BR reticle or ballistic turret.

All personal preference though and unlike many will tell you there is no right and wrong

Re: Scope capable of dialing

You mean like these

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    199p likes this.
    BURN BABY BURN