Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Scope choice for .375 H&H

Scope choice for .375 H&H

Hey guys.

After alot of research I have narrowed my choices down to the following scopes:

GPO Spectra 1-6x (30mm tube)
    GPO Passion 3-9 x 44
    Leupold VX3HD 1.5-5x 30mm with firedot.

Scope choice was based on budget, weight (sub 15oz to ensure my rifle overall weight at around 9lbs) which eliminated alot of scopes, having an illuminated dot, clean uncluttered duplex reticle (but with the scope having an elevation dial up system)

I am leaning towards the GPO Passion 3-9x, at 3x its field of view is quite close to that of a 2x scope, and 9x for all the magnification i would ever need for a .375

However I haven't ruled out the other 2 options. One thing I like is I can mount them closer to the bore than the 3-9x.

But, magnification not as great at the upper end, compared to the 3-9x. My question is, what max range realistically can you shoot deer with a 5x scope? Not looking to shoot much past 400 meters.

400 easy, 500 if you can dial.
    7mm-Mag likes this.

How far do you want to shoot or more relevant what is the furthest are you most likely to shoot vs what your average shot is.
    Never heard of gpo scopes the 1-5 firedot would be good but if you could find a good dot scope in the 2-8ish range would be fine
    Last edited by csmiffy; 03-03-2023 at 08:10 PM.

If hunting Cape buffalo was definitely on the list I’d go Leupold 1-5 with firedot, if mainly used in NZ I’d agree with the 3-9.
    csmiffy and dannyb like this.

400 yd shots certainly doable with 5X scopes. If you are regularly shooting deer sized animals at that distance and longer I think you would appreciate the magnification of 9X over 5X. Very little extra scope weight for the magnification advantage.

200 yd for 5x in my opinion.
    You want to choose where in the chest the shot is going, not just front end of the animal.
    Sure, you could use 5x on an NRA target and get 4 put of 5 shots in at 300 in good conditions …

I thought the 375 H&H was designed in the days of open sights and shorter ranges.
    The 300 and 7mm derivatives wereadaptations for 300 and 400yard shooting.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

@Bagheera it may have been developed for shorter ranges but they can be very accurate and obviously have enough punch a bit further out.
    Theoretically my 416 rem mag with 340 grainers nudging 2700fps is relatively doable out to 400
    Bol Tackshin and Micky Duck like this.

Yes, I think the 375 H&H is a really cool round but Ive never had an African Rifle so should have left comment to those who do know.
    I was working from my experience with the .303 and a 4x scope.

What’s your budget ? Have you considered 2-10 or 2-12x scopes? I’d personally go for a 40-44 objective . Tried some 1- 4 x 25 and 30 but not my cup of tea. Even at 100 yards I found the lack of precision aim point off putting.
    Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.

What type of deer are you thinking? The idea of shooting and killing deer cleanly at 500m with a 375 h&h is going to depend more on bullet choice and the size of the deer than just the scope magnification. A fallow deer at 400m or 500m m is going to offer little resistance to a 375 bullet and it will likely not expand sufficiently to kill quickly. A sambar stag or a Wapiti bull are big enouigh to justify the use of such a big-holed rifle. Speer used to make a 235grn bullet specifically for deer.

The other consideration is shooting light. A Cape buffalo will probably be shot when there is bright light. An old sika or red might come out right on last light and that's when a 3-9x40 beats a 1.5-5x hands down. Maybe a good compromise is a Leupy 2.5-8x36. They are pretty good on last light, small, light, and handle recoil well.

Rifles are cheaper than they ever have been, it's a buyer's market now. Why not own a dedicated deer rifle? Put the 3-9x on that and a low power scope on the 375h&h?

Just some musings....
    Shearer likes this.

All good. You didn't do anything wrong.
    And you were right really
    People don't realize some of the smaller big bores are good at this sort of thing and really not ideal for close range on a deer especially if they are a bit heavier.
    The 416s on the lower end of the bigger bores were good for the close to bit further away plans game type shooting as they were readonly flat
    The 375 even more so.
    A friend of mine has one built on a P14 with a laminate Boyd's stock and it will do close to 1/2 moa. He's shot rabbits with it lol
    My 416 is 3/4 moa and under

@Bagheera H&H designed the .375 as the one rifle a distinguished gentleman could use to hunt the world. The designed a 235 gr load to hunt “long range” in the Himalaya and the 300gr for dangerous game. Graeme Henry did a good write-up many years ago. Pretty sure the 270gr load (might be the 235) has a similar trajectory to a 180gr 30/06.

Whatever you choose, make sure it has good eye relief (especially if shooting uphill). I would go for a low-powered variable like a Leupold VX Freedom 2-7x33.
    Micky Duck and HandH like this.

What are you going to be hunting and where? 1.5-5x30 isn’t great in low light i have scope on one of mine 375s.

I’ll never buy another scope without illuminated reticle, great in low light and/or on dark animals.

There is a large range of bullets from 200 grains up, wouldn’t worry about bullets expanding at longer ranges as sheer diameter kills Fallow/Goat size animals.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I have the GPO spectra 1.5-9 x44. So far I really like it. Its a bit heavier than what you are indicating you want, But I like the range of use that power range gives me. The drop reticle will give you a bit of extra range too if it comes in the models you are looking at.
    7mm-Mag and Moa Hunter like this.