Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: scope decision

The Original Striker
    The Claw has a Premier IIRC?

I went Nightforce as I got it at a superb deal at under half the cost of S&B from a NZ supplier and I feel to the general layman that there is really naff all difference in glass from what I've seen
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I have a VX111 4.5x14x40 Fine reticle LR 30mm tube with M1 Turrets on Elevation and Windage for sale that would fit very well on your 308. Get you out to 1000yards on steel no problems , 100MOA up and side.
    However, not in the class your looking at. But less than 1/3rd of the price,

Caretaker
    1. Nightforce with the NP-R1 reticle
    2. Leupold MK4 with the TMR reticle.

You have mentioned that clarity is tops, this brief list puts that criteria beneath a personal preference, preferring a tough scope with dependable adjustments, no matter how its treated.

I look after my gear extremely well and always consider it when transporting/using, but you would be suprised how many times high wind in the Wairarapa has blown one of my Senderos over, or they bump on a tree branch when descending a steep face to clamber across a rocky creek -or when climbing like a goat up the other side for a retrieve.
    Ten or twenty years goes by very quickly, it suprises me the bumps and scratches/wear marks my scopes have, but, they dial up perfectly each and every time, put those crosshairs on a Sika and its goodnight nurse for the deer.

I loathe buying things twice, and its expensive, I'd rather buy a top quality product once, if I cant afford it then I save until I can.

You mention 90% paper punching, which would allow you to use some of the large March/S&B offerings, -they should work flawlessly, but if your hunting is in serious country, and you want that scope for long term use, consider its toughness. Check out the military forums and have a look at what they are using, and what they have purchased for their own rifles.

A well made rifle and scope is a delight to use, wifey knows I only have one of each.....

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    trusty 308
    I was behind the binos a few months back, while a mate flung 150g SST projectiles out of his 308, and his groups were well within MOA, at 1130yrds. All the observers were very suprised.

His velocity is 2880fps out of this

Then a couple of weeks later he bloody well did it again with his Rem 700P. (308)
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 13-04-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Impure Lead Flinger
    You wont go wrong with a march...... Its awesome allrounder and im not gonna list the good points cos its alllllll good..
    Cant comment on the premier its at home but its still in the package and im at sea grrrr I wannna play with my new toy.....

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    I have a VX111 4.5x14x40 Fine reticle LR 30mm tube with M1 Turrets on Elevation and Windage for sale that would fit very well on your 308. Get you out to 1000yards on steel no problems , 100MOA up and side.
    However, not in the class your looking at. But less than 1/3rd of the price,
    i currently run a swift premier 6x24-50 which would probably get me there but it is certainly not the clearest when you start getting abit of
    distance
    dont mind spending what i have too to get a good product that will out last the rifle

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    You wont go wrong with a march...... Its awesome allrounder and im not gonna list the good points cos its alllllll good..
    Cant comment on the premier its at home but its still in the package and im at sea grrrr I wannna play with my new toy.....
    you think its at YOUR home but it aint..........................

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    i currently run a swift premier 6x24-50 which would probably get me there but it is certainly not the clearest when you start getting abit of
    distance
    dont mind spending what i have too to get a good product that will out last the rifle
    Out last the 308????

Fair enough, thought I'd have ago, it's imperative to my S&B that it sells.

Impure Lead Flinger
    Ull get a good optic under 3k with march or premier...... IOR are another option I have the 6_24x56 &while I rate it they are one beasty scope....

Fair enough, thought I'd have ago, it's imperative to my S&B that it sells.
    haha all good i gotta coulpe of bikes and a boat to sell to fund my new scope
    what s&b are you looking at if you dont mind me asking?

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    you think its at YOUR home but it aint.........................:
    Its ok your allowed to play with it...

Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    Ull get a good optic under 3k with march or premier...... IOR are another option I have the 6_24x56 &while I rate it they are one beasty scope....
    any ideas on where to look for said scopes for said price range??

One of the PM11 range, I had one here for awhile that belonged to another forum member and was very impressed, have since looked thorugh it mounted on his rifle looking over a hill side and am still impressed, however I have never looked through the Premier Reticle or March scopes, Nightforce I have.

Impure Lead Flinger
    Brt aussie for march and eurooptic in states for premier...... Check out the sites

Impure Lead Flinger
    One of the PM11 range, I had one here for awhile that belonged to another forum member and was very impressed, have since looked thorugh it mounted on his rifle looking over a hill side and am still impressed, however I have never looked through the Premier Reticle or March scopes, Nightforce I have.

And how do u rate pmII VS nightforce jake?