Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Scope for F-Class and a bit of everything else

I have a Sightron SFP SIII 6-24 mil/mil. It's a great scope and suits the F Class shooting I do well. I just wish it had the Mildot reticle with the halfway hash thingys. Nibblet on here has a 8-32 SIII and he is happy with that to.

I would defiantly go with mils, they're just so much easier to work with in the field. MOA does my head in. And on the F Class targets I just adjust using the reticle, never wished I had MOA as it's not an issue.

I may be looking to sell mine as I want to upgrade to a NF, I don't know why because I truly don't need to. But I haven't saved the money/brownie points for the upgrade yet.

DAF
    As for the above comment don't be swayed by the us should use mil/moa points arguments. Work out what works best for you and your comfortable using and go with that. It will save any regrets later
    "Such is life..." - Ned Kelly

ebf
    DAF, any comments about reticle preferences ? Target dot, duplex, hash ?
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    I find that hard to believe, simple physics. Would a 5mm tube allow the same light through as a 50mm? I would think not, it's the same theory as a water pipe, just with photons. Maybe having a bigger tube allows for slightly lower lens quality.
    The photons are that far apart it makes no difference. The bigger tube, as far as I'm aware, gives you a bigger space to move the reticle around in giving you a bigger adjustment range.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

DAF
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    DAF, any comments about reticle preferences ? Target dot, duplex, hash ?
    personally I like hash marks so I use MLR in my nightforce scopes and MTR on my March.

I feel as long the recticle and adjustments are the same and you can measure/correlate the bullet strike to an accurate adjustment without having to guess / think about an actual measurement in cm or inches its all good

for example my cross hair is on the centre, my bullet strike is the up and left. as long as i can keep my scope centred and clearly see from the recticles hash marks/system what my adjustment is and dial the correction then again all good
    (I see 1 hash mark high and 2 hash marks right, then I know be it mils or moa i need to adjust that amount) I hope that makes sense

Whatever I end up getting it will have a hash reticle MOA or Mil

ebf
    Yup tx, that makes sense.

I am using a plotting sheet, so get the vertical and horizontal offset by plotting the strike on a MOA grid plotting sheet. But then I am still fairly new at this game and concentrating on learning (and recording) wind calls, so shooting a lot more slowly that the top guys and dialling rather than holding off (mostly).

Shamus, that excludes a bunch of Leupy scopes then...
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Shamus, that excludes a bunch of Leupy scopes then...
    True ...

Anyway looking at one of these unless something nicer comes up secondhand

I'd look at your mounting options before deciding on your scope. What are you planning to use?

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamus View Post
    True ...

Anyway looking at one of these unless something nicer comes up secondhand
    Great scope. I have that on my 308 and the 8-32x56 on my 338. Accurate dialing with positive clicks. Both of mine a mil rad with mildot and find it fine for FTR. Like DAF said though just comes down to personal preference.

Cost of importing vs buying from Dead Eye Dicks is bugger all now, maybe $100-$200 max? (Have never brought anything from them though).
    DAF and BRADS like this.

Yes it seems like a pretty good option I haven't heard too much negative on them. Unless something decent secondhand turns up in the next couple of weeks it will either be that one or the FFP version - probably the mil hash one

Gotta be honest that looks like really solid value. It has a good reticule, the turrets would be great for competition (lots of room to stick stuff on) and above all its light as a feather. Comparing that to my latest squander on a march 3-24x42 it rates pretty bloody well stats wise. I mean i you're looking at 2 grand nz for that yeah? I paid another chunk more and what I got in return was lower profile turrets (meh), 600gram weight, a reticule that i prefer (but you prob wouldnt like it) and smaller front lens, if that actually really means anything.

As for FFP - I've found it just works better with my metric brain. I mean a 1.3 mil error into the dirt at 800m is the same 12 click adjustment as it would be if i was 'tarded enough to be out that far at 300m. Not saying that has never happened....

Sightron S3 6-24x50 or 8-32x56. Well worth considering, around $1500, our club just got a Sightron to replace the nikko as it was getting dodgy in its turrets (no longer clicking). For $1500 of course there are some good choices. I wouldnt personally go any higher, I'd spend the money on a better gun/barrel or action. eg A barnard action is around $1600 and one of the best made rather than say $3.5k on a Nforce slapped on a remmington 700 with a 24inch factory barrel which just looks naff.

Just some things to consider with F class, a barrel will be about 700~1000 rounds before needing replacing at $1000 a pop. FTR class on the other hand which is limited to 308winchester, 4000 maybe 5000 rounds, so 1 to 1.5 barrels per season v 3 ~ 5 seasons, big difference in costs. Brass life is a lot better with 308w as well. I would suggest a Krieger barrel and Barnard combo would be worth considering as a very competitive combo. Stocks well $800 to $4.5k.

regards

regards.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

DAF
    Just a note with barrel life, those numbers get put about but I don't feel it's an accurate picture, my 7/300 has had over 700 rounds and still looks and performs well
    My 6.5x284 has done about 1500

With barrels of f-class size you have the option to set them back and do another season so I believe this replacing every 700-1000 a bit of a fallacy. Just my experience
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post

I'd spend the money on a better gun/barrel or action. eg A barnard action is around $1600 and one of the best made rather than say $3.5k on a Nforce slapped on a remmington 700 with a 24inch factory barrel which just looks naff.

Just some things to consider with F class, a barrel will be about 700~1000 rounds before needing replacing at $1000 a pop. FTR class on the other hand which is limited to 308winchester, 4000 maybe 5000 rounds, so 1 to 1.5 barrels per season v 3 ~ 5 seasons, big difference in costs. Brass life is a lot better with 308w as well. I would suggest a Krieger barrel and Barnard combo would be worth considering as a very competitive combo. Stocks well $800 to $4.5k.

regards

regards.
    Not sure what this "$3.5k on a Nforce slapped on a remmington 700 with a 24inch factory barrel which just looks naff" is about - where did that come from?