Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Scope for F-Class and a bit of everything else

Night force would be my other choice. I really like the feel of the clicks and the reticules are cool too. Not really fussed on S&B which is just as well (cant afford one anyway)

Ended up getting a Sightron SIII 6x24-50 LR MOA
    DAF, Toby and Nibblet like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    The photons are that far apart it makes no difference. The bigger tube, as far as I'm aware, gives you a bigger space to move the reticle around in giving you a bigger adjustment range.
    That makes even less sense.

Information overload, I'm old school, a vari power is my limit! And country of manufacture cause I need to see thru them! Thanks guys enjoyed that read!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    That makes even less sense.
    Think burning paper with a magnifying glass

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Think burning paper with a magnifying glass

Yup, the bigger the magnifying glass, the more light passing through, more heat.
    Pengy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Yup, the bigger the magnifying glass, the more light passing through, more heat.
    A bigger scope tube doesn't mean bigger lenses though. Just more space internally to move so more adjustment is available for any given design.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    A bigger scope tube doesn't mean bigger lenses though. Just more space internally to move so more adjustment is available for any given design.
    Yes was my point and also that the lenses focus the light down in the middle of the scope so tube diameter is irrelevant in respect to light transmission.

"Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Yes was my point and also that the lenses focus the light down in the middle of the scope so tube diameter is irrelevant in respect to light transmission.

Yuuurp. I like 30mm tubes as they make better handles for my lanky hands.

Yeah, I think 30mm is where it's at as well. It's a good compromise between weight and elevation adjustment. Also 25mm tubes look stupid with big obj lenses ie 50mm and above.

I always shake me head when I hear some retard say "yeah, I went to a 30/34/35mm tube and now my scope is WAY brighter" idiots!
    Unfortunately it happens a lot!

Well most 30-34mm tube scopes are better quality than most 25mm tube scopes, and have larger objectives, so it probably is brighter...

I meant purely like for like as for as obj size goes.

You may want to look at the new Burris XTRII line , in particular the 8-40x50mm fclass , has a neat reticle , FFP, for f class , has a 10moa per turn knob , and 1/8 moa clicks , price is 1200 usd

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    You may want to look at the new Burris XTRII line , in particular the 8-40x50mm fclass , has a neat reticle , FFP, for f class , has a 10moa per turn knob , and 1/8 moa clicks , price is 1200 usd
    Name:  BURRIS-Xtreme-Tactical-XTR-II-8-40x50-SF-Riflescope-Illum-F-Class-MOA-Reticle-201080-Pic1.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  33.3 KB

That is a pretty busy reticle - from the little I have witnessed of F-class most people don't seem to use anything like that. Mostly target dot, or fine crosshairs or similar ...

I think , yes , most in NZ donot use anything other than a crosshair/dot etc , BUT some of thats because thats all that was available to them in scopes they liked .
    Thats changing , if you look at the new 2014 NF comp scope made for Fclass/target shooting , you will see a lot of features that use to be the domain of sniper scopes , ie hashmarked reticles , highspeed knobs & zeros stop etc .
    The reticle thats in the new NF is a hashmarked moa reticle , numbered ever 5 moa , and made so its correct at 40x , the scope is stil SFP , and its 15-55x52mm , the reticle , FCR-1 , is a direct result of what the US fclass team wanted .
    We donot set trends , we follow usually , just because you have not seen many NZ shooters use them , dosnt mean much , as we tend to be conservative bunch , just like the 6.5/284 then the 284shehane & 7/300WSM cals for fclass , we just follow on what the rest of the world shooters do , and the biggest single number of shooters reside in the US , so we just follow them usually , just a few yrs or decades behind .

The reticle on the Burris fclass scope does get very small when on 8x , however , odds are it will not ever be set so low , probably 16x and up .