Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Scope ideas for jw15

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    I know. I would just rather not screw with something not easily rectified.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    The bolt is probably easier and cheaper than high rings and cheek riser/pad.
    csmiffy likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

My preference as well. I try to be patient and let a solution crop up in due course, rather than making modifications. You might find something at a gunshow that works for you.

my nikko stilrling gold crown 3x9x40mm fits both mine fine with elcheapho rings....most any 4x32 will do the same.

JWB
    Banned
    Hi all.

My Bushnell banner has a too thick eye piece for any of the rings that reloaders have. Currently the bolt is touching the scope.

I do not want to modify the bolt nor the scope.

So I am after ideas in what's the go with a low power scope that works. Doubt if I'd ever use more than a 3-9x40 considering that I shoot a hand full of times a year and mostly possum's.

Cheers.

Nikko Stirling Silver Crown 4x32mm Riflescope - Hunting and Outdoor Supplies

Nikko-Stirling Mountmaster.
    Comes with rings to fit the dovetail.
    Can't see why you would require anything else. I've still got a couple that have done over 20 years service.

Most any Leupold will fit.does on mine anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    The bolt is probably easier and cheaper than high rings and cheek riser/pad.
    True. We tried every thing at reloaders but the Bushnell was too wide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    My preference as well. I try to be patient and let a solution crop up in due course, rather than making modifications. You might find something at a gunshow that works for you.
    Any gun show in Auckland would get protested lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    my nikko stilrling gold crown 3x9x40mm fits both mine fine with elcheapho rings....most any 4x32 will do the same.
    Cool. That sounds ideal.

Not keen on a 4x32.
    Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    Nikko Stirling Silver Crown 4x32mm Riflescope - Hunting and Outdoor Supplies

Nikko-Stirling Mountmaster.
    Comes with rings to fit the dovetail.
    Can't see why you would require anything else. I've still got a couple that have done over 20 years service.
    It had a silver crown 4x32 but I want a better scope on it.

I will have a look for a mount master.
    Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Most any Leupold will fit.does on mine anyway.
    Yeah I'm trying not to put that vx2 on it haha.

Same as @gadgetman. Its not a rare, collectible or antique firearm so it isn't hurting it. You refinishing the stock on it isn't much different.
    Does it miss by miles and need a ton of work or does it just miss?
    Just remember 1000's upon 1000's of ex military Mausers and Enfields had far more drastic things done to them in the way of bent/cut reprofiled bolts and magazines etc etc to sporterised them and they look just fine. Sometimes just damn good.
    Why worry about rectifying it later at all? Not suggesting you attack it with a 9" grinder but a little judicious filing/polishing and why wouldn't you have a permanent modification that doesn't look out of place and lets you have pick from a wider variety of scopes. Once its done its done. If done properly nothing to rectify
    If not ghost around a couple of gunshops that have JW's with scopes fitted and do a bit of spywork on what fits.
    Russian 22. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Same as @gadgetman. Its not a rare, collectible or antique firearm so it isn't hurting it. You refinishing the stock on it isn't much different.
    Does it miss by miles and need a ton of work or does it just miss?
    Just remember 1000's upon 1000's of ex military Mausers and Enfields had far more drastic things done to them in the way of bent/cut reprofiled bolts and magazines etc etc to sporterised them and they look just fine. Sometimes just damn good.
    Why worry about rectifying it later at all? Not suggesting you attack it with a 9" grinder but a little judicious filing/polishing and why wouldn't you have a permanent modification that doesn't look out of place and lets you have pick from a wider variety of scopes. Once its done its done. If done properly nothing to rectify
    If not ghost around a couple of gunshops that have JW's with scopes fitted and do a bit of spywork on what fits.
    The rifle itself is plenty accurate for what I want it to do. I just wanted better glass on it as I had a spare scope.

Have a set of 1" high steel rings made by Hilver. Will take a 42mm eyepiece. If you don't want to use the grinder $35 non rural.

northdude
    Plus some people dont have the tools or skills to do metal work just the same as some of us just cant do tech computery shit
    Barefoot and csmiffy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Plus some people dont have the tools or skills to do metal work just the same as some of us just cant do tech computery shit
    Fair comment. My boss doesn't reckon I'm good at any of it lol.
    In saying that a little googling of bolt mods might give him a picture. we are only talking a little filing and some emery tape work max.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Have a set of 1" high steel rings made by Hilver. Will take a 42mm eyepiece. If you don't want to use the grinder $35 non rural.
    Thanks for the offer. I have bought some off wingman but if they do not work out I'll get in touch.

The scope I currently have has a 45 mm eye piece.

Fair comment. My boss doesn't reckon I'm good at any of it lol.
    In saying that a little googling of bolt mods might give him a picture. we are only talking a little filing and some emery tape work max.
    I saw a bolt mod on the fish n hunt forum. From mud grips or something. Required a fair bit of grinding.

Thanks for the offer. I have bought some off wingman but if they do not work out I'll get in touch.

The scope I currently have has a 45 mm eye piece.

I saw a bolt mod on the fish n hunt forum. From mud grips or something. Required a fair bit of grinding.

yeah found that. That came out ok though. Not something you would have a crack at?

yeah found that. That came out ok though. Not something you would have a crack at?
    Not if I don't have to. We have a Dremel tool at work with sanding bits. So I will measure it up and see how much I need to take odd.

Whats the external diameter of the eyepiece on the banner?
    My CZ suffers from the same issue, but I wouldn't have expected a bushnell banner to be an issue mine wore a Burris FF2 and the bolt cleared easily.