Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Scope Power Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    What 2-10 FFP scope are you using?
    There aren’t many FFP scopes in that mag range, and even few with reticle that are any good at low magnification.
    He's complaining about it being heavy so must be a night force 😂

I think the 2.4-12 Swaro Z5 would tick near all the boxes IF your budget allows..

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Pretty much what I was going to say. Four power was just perfect back in the seventies and eighties. Still hunt with fixed fours on some rifles. Even with variables I seldom hunt with them lower than three power. If your gun and scope fit you a huge field of view isn't critical.
    Talk about bush hunting being about speed is a bit of a fairy tale. You work out how long you are going to have for the shot depending on how the animal is acting, once you have shot a few. Some animals aren't going to give you a chance now matter how fast you think you are. And those type of animals don't make for good target ID in some instances.
    Shot for years with a fixed 2.75x on the Finnwolf then fitted a 3-9 x 40,
    Great except that I keep forgetting it’s a variable and half the time it’s on 3x even when I should have used 7x!
    Old habits…
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    He's complaining about it being heavy so must be a night force ��
    I'm guessing it's the Burris XTR2.
    Suprisingly the Night Force NXS 2.5-10 is a very lightweight scope, but everything else they make is a behemoth.

+1

Oops Swarovski Z5 2.4-12 gets my vote too
    I find mine awesome at making the most of poor light conditions and not a heavy scope

Hehe Ok Beetroot & Nick-D,
    Its a Burris Veracity 2-10x42 FFP weight is 22 oz.
    I ended up with it as a warrantee replacement for a Burris Black Diamond 1.5-6x40 with 4A recital where the red dot had failed.
    Love the optic and the FFP recital is growing on me. It's just a bit large on my Sav 99 in 358 Win 20" lite barrel , Boyds stocks etc, which gets carried a lot.
    Used for 10 - 300 mtr shooting and looking in dark places inside the bush edges.
    Still thinking of a nice euro 2-8x
    Z
    Nick-D likes this.

3-9x40 gets little attention these days but for those ranges it’s perfecty suited for far less $ than the racier options
    I’m definitely keen on a 3-15 vx5 side focus firedot in milrad if the nicer options are on the table

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Shearer and Micky Duck like this.

Many years ago Leupold used to state the "actual" magnification of their scopes. ie a 3-9 by 40 may have had an actual magnification of 3.6x-8.2x.
    Don't think they do this anymore and it makes me wonder how accurate scope manufacturers are with their magnification claims.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    Interesting thread this. Makes me wonder how we ever got by with our mostly 4x and occasional 3x Pecar, Kowa Prominar, Leupold etc fixed power scopes back in the day. Still like and use my 4x Leupolds. But seriously, these days I do use variable power scopes mainly because my eyes aren’t what they used to be. One is a Burris 2-7 mini which has all the magnification I need and a Niko Stirling 3-9 that came as a package deal. The NS will stay until it breaks if it does, and it gets used weekly and probably gets treated harder than most scopes on here. But back to magnification. Low power is good for bigger field of view but 4x is alright once you’re used to it. As for higher power, 9x is still enough out to 470m for me on goats. You don’t have to spend shitloads of money on a flash scope. Spend what you can afford certainly, but you don’t need to go overboard with magnification unless you’re shooting way out. Just my 2c.
    if that nikko stirling is one of the old gold crowns...yo uwill struggle to beat it for field of view ...they even beat a 2x7 loopy with both screwed right down.... pity they changed how they were made a few years back.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Pretty much what I was going to say. Four power was just perfect back in the seventies and eighties. Still hunt with fixed fours on some rifles. Even with variables I seldom hunt with them lower than three power. If your gun and scope fit you a huge field of view isn't critical.
    Talk about bush hunting being about speed is a bit of a fairy tale. You work out how long you are going to have for the shot depending on how the animal is acting, once you have shot a few. Some animals aren't going to give you a chance now matter how fast you think you are. And those type of animals don't make for good target ID in some instances.
    speed on follow up shot is where the field of view comes into play....and on spooked animal that has done the quick dash 20-30 yards and has slowed down to look back...finding them in 2-3-4x is MUCH easier than anything more than 4x and my fixed 4x is better than any vari on 4 power Ive seen too.
    I wonder if its enough on the odd occasion I venture out into open country,but when animal is sighted,in range,its always been enough... I did struggle a little with fixed 3x on 80lb pig at 150ish yards but still managed to neck shoot it perfectly well.. the old redfield bearcub 2 3/4x showed its weakness on thar it was front end or back end...but in tight scrub was awesome.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Hey Mate, cheers for the tip, i just had a look at this online. It looks like exactly what im thinking of. Have you heard any reviews about them? Ive never heard of that brand...

Quote Originally Posted by country cuts View Post
    The new element 2-16 might be worth a look
    Hey Mate, cheers for the tip, i just had a look at this online. It looks like exactly what im thinking of. Have you heard any reviews about them? Ive never heard of that brand...

Quote Originally Posted by John P View Post
    I have a helix 6-24 has been a reliable scope gets a little foggy on top power but crystal clear till about 21 but it's not hd and was under a grand. Dials work well