Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Scope question

Scope question

My brother recently re-barrelled a lee Enfield too 7x57R. It had an old 4 power Nikko striking on it that was rooted, so he upgraded to a Khales 3-9.

He's since tried a number of 3-9 varies on it, and all shoot 10 inch high with reticle wound as far down as they will go. Thats sitting in same mounts as the 4x was.

Anyone have any ideas on why the difference? Is it the fixed power or the magnification thats limiting the adjustment amount?

definitely no expert but my thoughts are 7x57 will shoot alot flatter ,faster and still be rising compared to 303?.... rather than being too worried about it can the mount be adjusted/reversed so the front and rear rings are swapped? need to either raise the front ring or lower the rear, or do both

edit .... or some scopes adjust different ie up can either be crosshairs up or point of impact up ......
    mimms2 likes this.

Caretaker
    The receiver or the ring bases are not parallel to the barrel

Get it checked by a competent gunsmith

It could be fixed by changing the mounts or shimming the front mount
    tetawa, Woody and mimms2 like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Banned
    Did he put different rings on at the same time as upgrading the scope or a bridge mount or replace the vee blocks ? He could have ended up with some components that have elevated the rear of the scope a few degrees

turn scope 90 degrees and fire a shot...not be first fella to be caught by bent tube.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

maybe the 4x WAS bent..thus why it ended up rooted.....

I'd guess it's due to the new barrel, most if not all barrels will have a slight bend in them. If the 303 barrel bent down and the new one bent up it could cause this issue.
    (A very very slight bend)

The best fix would be a canted scope base, but a shim under one ring will also probably work
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Did he put different rings on at the same time as upgrading the scope or a bridge mount or replace the vee blocks ? He could have ended up with some components that have elevated the rear of the scope a few degrees
    No rings and mounts have stayed the same.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Neither. Windage/elevation capacity is dictated by the size of the pipe, and the size of the lenses inside.

Did it shoot to POA with the 4x after rebarrelling? 7x57? Off the top of my head the x57 is going to be a bit quicker than .303 so will naturally shoot higher.

I hope you mean they shoot high with the reticle wound UP, because if they shoot high with it wound DOWN, just wind it up...

The 4 x was stuffed some time back and has long gone to scope heaven. Up until the point it failed there was no noticeable issue.
    Ill clarify, the turrets are being wound in correct direction.

Cheers guys, was just checking to see if there was a known simple reason that we weren't aware of . He will have to get mount elevations sorted i think.
    Rifle is shooting extremely well otherwise with groups hovering around 1 moa. Which was better than expected. Just got to get the height issue sorted.
    Micky Duck likes this.

so that really only leaves the alignment of scope tube to bore......assumably the lee enfield has a bridgemount on action...which has stayed in same place .....the front of bases hasnt lifted perhaps??? cant picture it right now but MAYBE gunsmith took it off to remove old barrel,screw in new barrel and somehow its changed where it sits??? maybe the front screws arent snuggly down????
    what does it look like bore sight wise???? sit rifle in vice or box with grooves,or whatever you have,look through bore and line up on something....100 yards away good,26-30 yards perfect,then look through scope.....if bore and scope look aligned I would be looking at pressure point on barrel being issue,maybe

Gone but not forgotten
    I know nothing about Lee Enfields, but I do now some rifles have different height front and rear rings, so I would try swapping the rings around. Even if your brother hasn't taken them off the gunsmith might of when rebarrelling.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    I know nothing about Lee Enfields, but I do now some rifles have different height front and rear rings, so I would try swapping the rings around. Even if your brother hasn't taken them off the gunsmith might of when rebarrelling.
    Cheers, have checked it over and all seems correct in the mounting system. Is probably just a combination of new barrel and different velocity. Plus nothing to say the old scope wasn't right at the edge of its dial range either. Im not sure what we had it sighted in at as a 303, but Id guess it was 3 inch high at 100, so looks like we are seeing a 7 inch or about difference.
    An inch here and there in all 3 factors does not take long to build up.

hang suppressor on front and it be much closer to POA......usually drops POI by about 3-4" LOL

well?????? how did you resolve issue in the end @whanahuia