Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Scope recommendations $1-1200 range

Scope recommendations $1-1200 range

Hi all,

After any recommendations on scopes in the $1000-1200 price range, ideally 3-15x44/2.5-15x44 etc

A couple I am considering are

Meopta MeoPro Optika6 2.5-15x44 (great reviews online however it's 200g heavier than others i've looked at)

Burris Signature HD 3-15x44mm

Any others that you can recommend I look at would be much appreciated. Thanks

buy the vx5 on here
    7mmsaum and Tuckerbox like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    buy the vx5 on here
    Hi, I was looking at it, and have heard they are really good. I would prefer something with a bdc/xmas tree reticle

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    Once you’ve decided on a scope check out www.opticzone.com I’m sure you’ll find it cheaper than buying in NZ
    Use the code TOZ11 to get 11% off which will cover your shipping costs.
    They must have gone out of business since you were there last.
    Name:  2021-10-12_12-09-16.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  71.2 KB

Oops forgot the ‘the’. https://www.theopticzone.com/
    Thanks for the heads up. Will check it out

meopta
    JimmyJames likes this.

Meopta are great I have an meostar R2 which is a bit more than what you are looking at but fantastic in low light. What's the deal with importing a rifle scope these days do you need a permit or not? Can never get a clear answer :-)

For that price range (here in the US) you can get into a Meopta Optics 580140 MeoStar R1r 3-12 x 56 BDC-3 Illuminated Gun Scope. The MeoStar glass is top tier glass and truly shows its value in low light conditions. MeoStar scopes/binos are known for increased clarity at first and last light which is where all optics are proven. The BDC-3 reticle can be dialed in using the Strelok Pro app and that will give you the bullet drops needed for hunting. I get how you aren't a fan of the Optika6 weight but have you looked at the Optika5 3-15 too? Much lighter with its 1 inch tube over the 6's 30mm tube. Same great glass for a fraction of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by bman940 View Post
    For that price range (here in the US) you can get into a Meopta Optics 580140 MeoStar R1r 3-12 x 56 BDC-3 Illuminated Gun Scope. The MeoStar glass is top tier glass and truly shows its value in low light conditions. MeoStar scopes/binos are known for increased clarity at first and last light which is where all optics are proven. The BDC-3 reticle can be dialed in using the Strelok Pro app and that will give you the bullet drops needed for hunting. I get how you aren't a fan of the Optika6 weight but have you looked at the Optika5 3-15 too? Much lighter with its 1 inch tube over the 6's 30mm tube. Same great glass for a fraction of the cost.
    Hi Bman,

Yes i have been looking at the Optika5 3-15. Meopta isn't that popular in New Zealand and I can only find that one in the Z Plex. Buying from oversea requires a permit now, not sure if i can be bothered.
    The optika5 is more on par weight wise with the burris and vortex I have been looking at.
    I only backpack hunt, so keeping weigh down is up there on the priority list.
    bman940 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwihunter View Post
    Meopta are great I have an meostar R2 which is a bit more than what you are looking at but fantastic in low light. What's the deal with importing a rifle scope these days do you need a permit or not? Can never get a clear answer :-)
    Hi,

Yeah from what i have read you do need a permit now. So might put it in the to hard basket. I need to look into it further.

There was a thread on here about it and I thought the outcome was that scopes didn’t need a permit
    Ok will have a hunt for it. I couldnt find any info on the police website but on the customs site it says the following

"Parts
    There is a new definition for ‘part’. Anything that attaches to a firearm is now considered a part and requires a permit to import. This includes integral parts of the firearm, such as barrels and trigger group parts, as well as other items like scopes, sights, butt plates and slings, that attach to a firearm but are not integral to their use.

Shooting accessories such as reloading supplies and gun cases do not require a permit to import."

Correct, you no longer need any permit to bring in a scope. If under $1000NZD you won't pay GST or import duty, but if over $1000NZD they'll sting you.
    Mohawk .308 likes this.

https://www.guncity.com/minox-scope-...x56-bdc-330606

i bought one of these ( they come up on special occasionally)
    bloody great scope and sits on top of my 7mmRM.

Some knowledgeable bugger just bought a scope from overseas, no permit needed. If under $1k it just comes straight in.
    You did need a permit initially. I suspect police were happy to make things as difficult as per their usual M.O. this has changed for scopes, I subdue to the volume of work generated that only a complete idiot could see coming.
    Mohawk .308 likes this.

You didn't need a permit, then you did need a permit, then you didn't need a permit again.....not sure if we back up to need one again.....Police seem super slow on permits after being pretty good last 12 months