Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Scope Selection Advise

How do the 4x and 5x lowends go when up real close? That was the thing that worried me.

For repeatability, toughness ,good glass and excellent turrets go leupold MK4 4.5-14 m1 ,heard of to many vx6's going back with issues.

More deer would have been axed in close up with a 4x power than any other scope power in NZ I reckon. I bush hunt with a Leupold M8 4x with no issues but hey a wider field of view can't hurt

Quote Originally Posted by MattyP View Post
    How do the 4x and 5x lowends go when up real close? That was the thing that worried me.
    I prefer a lower power up close in the bush. You canshoot them with 4x but a 2x or 3x makes it easier to find them in the field of view. I use a 2 -16 x 42 bushnell. It is great but the clicks on mine are more like 0.3MOA rather than 0.25MOA.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    I prefer a lower power up close in the bush. You canshoot them with 4x but a 2x or 3x makes it easier to find them in the field of view. I use a 2 -16 x 42 bushnell. It is great but the clicks on mine are more like 0.3MOA rather than 0.25MOA.
    That's a perfect power range for typical NZ hunting imo
    VIVA LA HOWA

Agreed. The main reason it was such a hard decision for me between 2-12x and 3-18x is because I love 2x for anything within about 70m. On my 22 with a 2-7x scope I am on 2x almost all the time. However, 3x is also good after I tested it. But i'd be worried about going any more than that for really close stuff.

LJP
    Well I pulled the trigger on a Vortex PST 4-16.....getting pretty good reviews & look like fantastic value for money. Now for the waiting game till it arrives

Can you let us know how much it is all up once it gets here?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Congrats - where'd you buy from?

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    Plenty of advice above but I really think you need to narrow your range (bunnies to deer). A jack of all (scopes) makes you (it) a master of none.
    However - if you stick to your original question, there have been some good suggestions above. You might want to check out a Zeiss Rapid-Z 600. Zero at 200 yards and let the reticle do the rest ... 300, 400, 500, 600 yardage. Do some swot on whatever you choose. I think my Rapid-Z is a 6-24 vari-power but I have it on my .204 for varminting.
    If you are North Island (mainly bush) shooting with a .308 (like I do) then a simple reticle with no christmas tree clutter with 3-9, 4.5-10 or a 4-12 is perfect. I don't have a paralax on my deer guns as it would just be a pain as 95% of my deer are shot between 75-250 yards. ATB!
    Name:  rz600_lg.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  8.1 KB