Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Scope suggestion for ar15

Quote Originally Posted by von tempsky fan View Post
    I don't see the need for a dedicated AR scope - seems to be a gimmick that a lot of people fall for .
    The whole 'AR Scope' label is just a bit daft really isn't it. You don't see people advertising a 'Remington 700 Scope' or 'Ruger 10/22 Scope' do you!

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    The whole 'AR Scope' label is just a bit daft really isn't it. You don't see people advertising a 'Remington 700 Scope' or 'Ruger 10/22 Scope' do you!
    There's lots of .22 dedicated scopes. Nikon make a p-22 and it's awesome. Has a close set parrallax and reticle for .22 drop. I rate mine highly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, I don't have any issue with scopes optimised for certain calibres (I have a Nikon Prostaff rimfire scope on my 22 as well).

Its advertising a scope as being for a particular type of rifle thats stupid.
    anderset20 likes this.

horses for courses I recon I'm happy with my Burris does everything from 30m to 300m for me as well as my shitty old zenith 4× 32 on my marlin 795 which is used nearly daily on my plague like possum population.

I put a Leupold VXR Patrol w/Firedot on my AR. It has mag range from 1.25-4 I think and I find it pretty suited for what I need. 4 x has enough magnification for shots out to 2 or 300 metres and the 1.25 is perfect for close in...used the 1.25 on a 130lb boar on the run about 3 weeks ago and it had no chance at around 40 metres...
    I like the Firedot, its handy for getting a quick bead on something just like an RD but you have the option of turning it off if you need..

I supose it depends on what you're doing with it really, a 3-9 would probably work better on a heavy barreled rifle whereas I though that size would be overkill on a Colt carbine which is why I went with the 1.25-4x20

another one with drop recticles about to hit market.

Vortex Optics - Strike Eagle Riflescopes

Ok, all of us here are RIGHT. We just didn't stop yet to think about what kind of AR we have and what are the purpose of it.
    Taking apart the "AR" thing in the scope manufacturer name or model, every scope you put in your rifle will work, however with it limitation.
    The majority of people shooting with the AR "in my opinion" look or need a scope with a "GOOD" eye relieve, this way you can shoot target at close and "away" distances with one or both eye open(if you know what i mean). Many of us in this thread(not including me as i think i am a learner) has some level of experience, some shooters are like "weekenders" shooters and others kind "everyday" shooter and with this levels of experiences the scope selection can and will make difference.
    In my case i have a "Varminter/target" AR with a 24" heavy barrel that i intend to shoot mainly targets but of course "hunt" as well, so my option was for a 4-16X magnification and it work for me, others here opt for a 3-12X, 3-9X and 1-4X or similar etc, leaving the question, what is more suitable "to me"?
    With all the options given and the "magnification" "picked" you may need to look at "glass quality" and scope features and functions. Do you need all the magnification "Power"? Do you need a "ranging capable" reticle or a BDC will suit you? do you need an illuminated reticle? and here we go again, what will be next thing?
    If you really is looking for a good scope you need to get "all" the options in the same "quality class" and try it yourself. Go to a shop and look thru a scope is one thing, have the opportunity to try a scope in the field is another level.

Please forgive me if i wrote to much and if you disagree or have a different opinion, it is only my own honest opinion.
    Good luck to you all and have a great week.
    Hot barrels to those who can go and shoot!

Mac

^ nailed it, and the only one bothered to type it out haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dirtyhabit and PERRISCICABA like this.