Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Scopes that can take a beating

Nightforce can definitely handle the abuse, I’ve been using them for 20+ years, had them bounce off the quad at high speed a few times, knocked up on rocks climbing on all fours tahr and chamois hunting, bounce around to back floor of helicopters, arse up sliding down icy snow chutes and never had any issues with holding zero or dialing. Had a couple of the first gen non zero stop NXS scopes that had the shit thrashed out of them too with no issues, except getting lost on the turret between shots “ that wouldn’t happen if I had zero stop”
    Currently using two NXS compacts 2.5-10x42 on a 300BLK and a 16” 308win, I was load testing both of them other week and both shot 2” group on steel at 400m. Also run a Atacr 4-16x42 that was on a 270win and now sits on top of a 338edge.
    matagouri likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    If you let us know your actual budget, then what you can actually stretch to we would be in a much better position to help

The was [ I haven't looked today] a 4x14 leupy for 700$ might be gone though.

I've bashed a VX3 leupold on a rock so it dented the tube, looked like shite but the rings were good and the scope still held zero.

I have found that The leupolds, VX3 or less in the past haven't exactly moved where they should each time but once set they tend to hold fast.
    That's my experience only and I haven't any experience with the Burris/ Bushnell/ Sightron type scope in the same class.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Some cheap scopes can surprise you (although good luck rather than good manufacture I suspect). Many years ago I fitted a cheap Japanese 'Hunter' 4x32 (trade price $15) to a mates SMLE sporter. We were clambering round a bluff above a small tarn in the Lewis Pass when my mate slipped and dropped his rifle. It bounced off a rock which sprung the Millar mounts off the front of the base and disappeared into 6 feet of bloody cold water. It took about half an hour to fish it out and the scope was still clear. I slackened the mount clamp screws with tip of my Green River skinner and refitted the mount. That rifle and scope were still going a few years later when the same mate had slipped a couple of times on a clay track up the back of Goose Bay on a goat hunt. He shot at a goat and the last 4 inches of his barrel blew completely off the rifle and disappeared, obviously well packed with clay! The scope survived that as well! I never went hunting with him again.

US Optics - reputed to be the last word in tough scopes!

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    If you let us know your actual budget, then what you can actually stretch to we would be in a much better position to help

The was [ I haven't looked today] a 4x14 leupy for 700$ might be gone though.

I've bashed a VX3 leupold on a rock so it dented the tube, looked like shite but the rings were good and the scope still held zero.

I have found that The leupolds, VX3 or less in the past haven't exactly moved where they should each time but once set they tend to hold fast.
    That's my experience only and I haven't any experience with the Burris/ Bushnell/ Sightron type scope in the same class.
    Was thinking around $1000 or so but can stretch to a vx5 or something similar. Yeah was looking at that vx3 but don’t really like non locking turrets. But that’s me being picky. Plus won’t really need to dial as I rarely shoot past 300m with this rifle.
    Vx3i seems like they would be the best option for me but I don’t think they do them without dialing turrets by the looks?

Millet scope 4x16x50,you couldv knock the stag out with it.Very accurate dialing too.

@Backsteaks Leupold vx3 Boone and Crockett, Once you work out the lines its simple to use. Ive shot out to 450 with mine and has been a reliable scope

Look for a Burris signature or other Burris model with the posi loc. They Do. Not. Move. Ever!! and the models with Posi Loc had top class glass as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Backsteaks View Post
    That would be all I need, it’s a shame they stopped making them!
    How about the VX freedom 4-12 with Tri-Moa reticle. I’ve got one for my .270 and the mow reticle works well with a drop chart

If you can bear to watch this...
    https://youtu.be/FJeRLXsjo-I
    zimmer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    If you can bear to watch this...
    https://youtu.be/FJeRLXsjo-I
    There's a similar vid around for NF except the shooter detached the scope complete with rings and then threw it down range but with much more vigour than in the US Optics vid.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    I have found that The Leupolds, VX3 or less in the past haven't exactly moved where they should each time but once set they tend to hold fast.
    I have had the same problem in the past with either Vari-X III or VX-III — the designs with a single spring holding the erector mechanism back against the adjustments. There was interaction between elevation and windage. Unlike the above, I also didn't find they were great at holding a zero either. Leupold retro-fitted the dual springs into a Vari-X for me that had these problems and it is now rock-solid. Based on this I would advise only including the VX3 or later models of this family of scopes for consideration - the ones with the dual springs fitted as standard.

Most good quality scopes and mounts really shouldn’t loose zero that easily. All my Leupolds have always been good using talley rings. My Swaro Z5 been good so far too.

old leupold of M8 vintage...and stop bashing them around LOL.
    I have older vx11 3x9x50 mm that hasnt changed zero in 15 or so years of use....it just doesnt move at all.
    have also seen twisted mounts cause scopes to die early...

Only one Zeiss worth having, on older Diavari C, just like the one in the previous post above. Or a steel tube Kahles, or a VX5 or 6.