Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Scopes for rimfire hunting rifles

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Chris, I have a two month old Leupold VX-2 4-12x40 AO, duplex reticle that is a great rimfire scope. Bought it for metallic silhouette and have decided I needed more power for that so have replaced it with a Leupold FX-3 25x40.

You're welcome to have a look at it when we shoot the Delamore Cup, hopefully next month.

MB
    I went through a similar thought process a little while ago. In the end, I decided that any scope with AO would be fine for rimfire, assuming that the quality/other features were good enough. I bought the Leupold Rimfire EFR.

Fellas

This thread came up in a google search for “best rimfire scope” which was handy. Had a go at gongs today at double the distance I’ve ever shot .22LR (CCI subs) and was amazed how simple it was. 230m and 170m, CZ 455. Helps to have a good tutor eh.

So this brings me to scopes. Where I shoot bunnies, I have time to range and dial and am used to it with centrefire varminting. I hold over when I need to be quick, and use tactical reticles. That’s what I’m used too, I find reticles like the Vortex type EBR-2C mrad or Bushnell G2DMR much better for a big elevation hold with windage, compared to mildot. I also only use FFP for dialing scopes and got a lesson today in using SFP.

So now to the question. If I go with a new to me .22LR like the 455, the intention is to master the long range rimfire. I see since tis thread was started Vortex has released its Diamondback Tactical range with FFP. Anyone got one? Which one? Also keen to hear if any of you fellas have gone with similar scopes from other brands for longer range rimfire recently.

res
    Name:  IMG_2375.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  629.7 KB

I have been using this https://www.swarovskioptik.com/hunting/x5i-c200507 and have yet to find anything I dont like about it
    Using Tapatalk

I should hope you haven’t at that kind of money @res...

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Fellas

This thread came up in a google search for “best rimfire scope” which was handy. Had a go at gongs today at double the distance I’ve ever shot .22LR (CCI subs) and was amazed how simple it was. 230m and 170m, CZ 455. Helps to have a good tutor eh.

So this brings me to scopes. Where I shoot bunnies, I have time to range and dial and am used to it with centrefire varminting. I hold over when I need to be quick, and use tactical reticles. That’s what I’m used too, I find reticles like the Vortex type EBR-2C mrad or Bushnell G2DMR much better for a big elevation hold with windage, compared to mildot. I also only use FFP for dialing scopes and got a lesson today in using SFP.

So now to the question. If I go with a new to me .22LR like the 455, the intention is to master the long range rimfire. I see since tis thread was started Vortex has released its Diamondback Tactical range with FFP. Anyone got one? Which one? Also keen to hear if any of you fellas have gone with similar scopes from other brands for longer range rimfire recently.
    Depends on how much you want to spend.

I've heard good things about the Nikon pro staff Rim fire

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

I’ll spend more than I’ll tell the wife put it that way. The FFP Vortex scopes at $600ish are hard to ignore.

Always had the view that if you spend the same on scope as the rifle you’re in about the right place. So 6, 7, 8 hundred maybe.

There are some much cheaper and quite impressive options out there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    I’ll spend more than I’ll tell the wife put it that way. The FFP Vortex scopes at $600ish are hard to ignore.

Always had the view that if you spend the same on scope as the rifle you’re in about the right place. So 6, 7, 8 hundred maybe.

There are some much cheaper and quite impressive options out there too.
    I am not much help I'm afraid. Never spent that much on a scope or rifle in one go so never looked.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Bushnell RIMFIRE 3-9X40MM MULTI-X

Description:
    Multi-X reticle
    Side Focus Parallax
    Specifications:
    Finish: Matte
    Power/Obj Lens: 3-9x 40mm
    Lens Coating: Multi-Coated
    RainGuard HD: No
    Tube Diameter: 1in
    Field of View: 3X - 31ft@100yds/10.5m@100m / 9X - 9.4ft@100yds/3.2m@100m
    Weight: 20.4oz/580gr
    Length: 12.2in/310mm
    Eye Relief: 3.9in/100mm
    Exit Pupil: 13mm@3x/4.4mm@9x
    Click Value: .25in@100yds/7mm@100m
    Adj Range: 80in@100yds/2mm@100m
    Mounting Length: 4.8in/124mm
    Focal Plane:Second

Bushnell RIMFIRE 6-18X40MM MULTI-X

Description:
    Multi-X reticle
    Side Focsu Parallax
    Specifications:
    Finish: Matte
    Power/Obj Lens: 6-18x 40mm
    Lens Coating: Multi-Coated
    RainGuard HD: No
    Tube Diameter: 1in
    Field of View: 6X - 18ft@100yds/6m@100m / 18X - 5.5@100yds/1.8m@100m
    Weight: 20.3oz/577gr
    Length: 12.4in/315mm
    Eye Relief: 3.9in/100mm
    Exit Pupil: 6.6mm@6x/2.2mm@18x
    Click Value: .25in@100yds/7mm@100m
    Adj Range: 80in@100yds/2mm@100m
    Mounting Length: 5in/127mm
    Focal Plane: Second

On the right track @California, but wrong reticle, need to have ability to holdover precisely as well as dial.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas, I’ll have a bit of time on my hands soon so will search through all the brands and see what I can come up with in NZ. Haven’t really find anything that suits what I wanna do more than that Diamondback Tactical 4-16 so far.
    California likes this.

northdude
    im using a bushnell ar 22rimfire scope on one 22 and a sightron on the annie

Gone But Not Forgotten
    After using many .22 LR rifles for over 50 years and having had many different scope configurations from junk, to Zeiss Diatal, I've finally settled on a Leupold FXII 6x34 to use on my Anschutz 54 (1422). It's not inexpensive at around $600 but is light and doesn't give any trouble. I changed the fixed parallax from 150m to 50m and can easily head shoot rabbits up to 100m or more with a rest, good ammo and reasonably calm conditions.

Gave up on the Xmas tree reticles and vari-power scopes and also the adjustable objective scopes. Too much weight and mucking around.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    Gave up on the Xmas tree reticles and vari-power scopes and also the adjustable objective scopes. Too much weight and mucking around.
    I hear what you’re saying. Thing is this new-to-us rifle I’m hoping to get will be used for double the range and more. Was using one yesterday to replicate what @rossi.45 was doing - 230m with subs. Was heaps easier than I ever imagined. But the amount of hold over at that range is quite something. So if I’m dialling I’m going to need plenty of elevation and if I hold I need a reticle that will give me the info.

I don’t much like big elevation holds where I can’t also hold for wind accurately on the same hash line.

But I do hear whay you’re saying, some of you fellas have lifetime’s more experience with the rimfire than me. I started with them obviously in the 80s but didn’t have one for probably over 20 years. Wasn’t much use for them where I was.

This might be worth considering, similar to the Vortex Diamondback Tactical but with illumination

Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x44 FFP
    $789.99

Features:

Fully multicoated optics reduce reflected light and increase light transmission for bright, clear images
    Heat treated, aircraft grade aluminium, one piece tube for extra strength and durability
    Waterproof and fog proof thanks to Nitrogen purging
    Shockproof mechanical system gives the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times
    Illuminated reticle with 11 brightness settings for greater visibility in low light
    Etched glass reticle provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
    First focal plain reticle changes size with your magnification
    Side focus parallax

Specifications:

Magnification - 4-14x
    Objective lens diameter - 44mm
    Lens coating - Fully multicoated
    Tube material - Aircraft grade aluminium
    Tube diameter - 30mm
    Exit pupil - 11.2-3.3mm Side Focus – 10 yards to infinity
    Eye relief - 3.23-3.15 inches
    Field of view @100 yards - 27.2-7.9 feet
    Waterproof - Yes
    Purging material - Nitrogen
    Length - 12.9”
    Weight - 669g / 23.6NZ
    Click value - 0.1 MIL
    Adjustment range per rotation - 5 MIL
    Total elevation adjustment - 20 MIL
    Total windage adjustment - 20 MIL
    Turret style - Exposed
    Parallax adjustment - Side focus – 10 yards to infinity

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    After using many .22 LR rifles for over 50 years and having had many different scope configurations from junk, to Zeiss Diatal, I've finally settled on a Leupold FXII 6x34 to use on my Anschutz 54 (1422). It's not inexpensive at around $600 but is light and doesn't give any trouble. I changed the fixed parallax from 150m to 50m and can easily head shoot rabbits up to 100m or more with a rest, good ammo and reasonably calm conditions.

well i got this one really wrong . . when i read in the other thread that your getting .2MOA in your Annie 54 i wondered what scope you would have on top to wring every ounce of performance from it . . . wouldnt have guessed a straight 6 power . . . would be a very nice traditional rifle setup to use tho.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !