Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Scopes for rimfire hunting rifles

i would seriously consider a SFP as the better choice for what your trying to achieve @Flyblown . . . FFP are a pain for close in work when on the lower powers

but any scope that gets you out there doing it is a good choice . . . good luck

R.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    After using many .22 LR rifles for over 50 years and having had many different scope configurations from junk, to Zeiss Diatal, I've finally settled on a Leupold FXII 6x34 to use on my Anschutz 54 (1422). It's not inexpensive at around $600 but is light and doesn't give any trouble. I changed the fixed parallax from 150m to 50m and can easily head shoot rabbits up to 100m or more with a rest, good ammo and reasonably calm conditions.

Gave up on the Xmas tree reticles and vari-power scopes and also the adjustable objective scopes. Too much weight and mucking around.
    That's great. I too like fixed power scopes and always thought that 6 power is about right for a .22. However none have parallax set at 50m, so I got a Nikon Prostaff rimfire fixed 4 power. Parallax is set at 45 yards on it. Nice scope but not quite enough power. I was not aware that one could adjust parallax but have just googled it and seems straight forward enough.
    Thanks for the food for thought.
    von tempsky fan likes this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    .... I was not aware that one could adjust parallax but have just googled it and seems straight forward enough.....
    It's only possible to do on certain fixed power scopes. Leupold is one brand that's quite easy to do. I bought a Boa Strap Lid Remover 100mm Strap Wrench ($21 from Bunnings) to remove the objective ring, that is the part forward of the gold ring, as it makes the job easy. You then just turn the exposed threaded section by hand a small part at a time until you get the parallax for the distance you want. Anti-clockwise to shorten the parallax.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    I have an Athlon Ares 4.5-27x50 on my rimfire. FFP, mil so it closely replicates what I'm using on my long range hunting and steel rifles.

To me it makes sense to spend good money on a quality scope for a rifle like this. The ammo is cheap compared to centrefire so you can put in plenty of practice/have a lot of fun for not much cost. Also an almost indefinite barrel life with a 22LR. So building familiarity using a similar (or identical) scope is the way to go

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    winaa and bing like this.
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more