Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: seeking advice on a suitable caliber and make/model

seeking advice on a suitable caliber and make/model

Hello all. My first post on this forum!
    It might be time for a new gun for me. I am mostly hunting tops and open areas, main target being deer but I will likely go and chase some tahr in the near future. I'm keen to look into a longer-range setup than my current 7mm08. I'm looking for advice on a suitable caliber, and suggestions re make/models, that would allow me to shoot out to approx 500m using factory ammo. I've been thinking about a 7mm rem mag based on some reviews and conversations. I wont be able to go custom or overly fancy but keen to get something that is proven, reliable, not too heavy, and available in NZ. Quite interested in the Bergara models, although they do seem on the heavier side. Anybody got experience with these? Or other suggestions? Thanks all.

Welcome to the forum. Check out the intro section and then search for threads on the topic you want. Lots of info on here regarding cartridges, rifles etc.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Hard to go past a tikka in 7rm you’ll want a magnum dpt as their a bit obnoxious otherwise your 708 will do 500 but I understand factory ammo is scarce and with the given cartridge hand loading would make it reliable at that range theirs a real beauty 280akley on here for a darn good price that will do everything easily
    6x47 and stagstalker like this.

@Oeschi01 Welcome along.
    I have been using a 7mm rem mag for the last 18 months. basically a standard tikka with DPT. I have tried a few different factory rounds.
    The sako 165gr i found at 500 and closer it was going through animals. like both front shoulders AND it stopped coming into NZ for a long time. Mainly started using it too get brass. Wouldn't buy it again
    Hornady precision was ok but never shot past 400 when using it, so no experience at greater distance. Also has become impossible to buy.
    Currently running Hornady 162gr sst and more then happy with them so far but again not always available to buy.
    Never tried the fed blue box as never been in stock the last couple years.
    So Hornady is my choice of ammo.
    Worth taking to your local shop on what ammo they have been able to get or stock. Pain in the arse chasing ammo all over the country side.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    @Oeschi01 Welcome along.
    I have been using a 7mm rem mag for the last 18 months. basically a standard tikka with DPT. I have tried a few different factory rounds.
    The sako 165gr i found at 500 and closer it was going through animals. like both front shoulders AND it stopped coming into NZ for a long time. Mainly started using it too get brass. Wouldn't buy it again
    Hornady precision was ok but never shot past 400 when using it, so no experience at greater distance. Also has become impossible to buy.
    Currently running Hornady 162gr sst and more then happy with them so far but again not always available to buy.
    Never tried the fed blue box as never been in stock the last couple years.
    So Hornady is my choice of ammo.
    Worth taking to your local shop on what ammo they have been able to get or stock. Pain in the arse chasing ammo all over the country side.
    Good to here different feed back on the sako ammo iv only herd positive until now it’s the 165 Sierra game changer

your 7mm08 will do the same job minus 200fps /yards....if you believe the 7mm mag is up for 700 yards,the 7mm08 is up for 500 yards....some folks will stretch the 7mm mag out well past that too....
    look at ammunition availablity..... the 7mm mag will face same constrictions/shortages as the 7mm08
    do you own a rangefinder???? are you dialing up???? PERSONALLY I believe unless you are answering yes to rangefinder...shooting past what you think/believe is 300-350 yards is getting real dodgy on anything other than pest control/culling
    75/15/10 black powder matters

also with price of new factory ammunition,shooting lots of rounds to prove the drops etc is a point to consider... 7mm mag rounds are rather pricey and you can still get 7mm08 not too pricey if you can find any.... POSSIBLY consider getting the likes of belmont or a known reloader to make you up a couple of hundred rounds all to same recipe and just learn what its going to do and be happy with the 7mm08....
    ZG47 and NO4 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

@Kelton shot a few deer with them 550 yards on a big hind in one shoulder out the other, it did drop on the spot and was dead when i got to it. A 3/4 exit hole. I just expected at that distance the projectile wouldn't coming out.
    Had a few bullets when placed behind the shoulder pencil through when not hitting bone.
    Shot enough deer with them to get a personal overall experience with them and they weren't the bullet for me had much better results using the sst or the precision

I'm using 7mmRM, mostly on fallow at the moment, last weekend dropped 5 fallow(max range 270m) and 4 goats(max 50m), and tbh I find there's not too much meat waste, maybe a kg or 2 of trim, more than my .243, but obviously the ammo is a bit dearer. I've a DPT on it and don't notice kick when shooting at animals.
    .308 ammo seems to be more readily available than most calibres these days.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

I was saving up for a 7mm08 and since the ammo shortage is in full swing I have revised that to saving up for a 308 probably a Howa unless you can win lotto without buying a ticket
    Micky Duck and paremata like this.

7mm08 ammo starting to come back in

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    @Kelton shot a few deer with them 550 yards on a big hind in one shoulder out the other, it did drop on the spot and was dead when i got to it. A 3/4 exit hole. I just expected at that distance the projectile wouldn't coming out.
    Had a few bullets when placed behind the shoulder pencil through when not hitting bone.
    Shot enough deer with them to get a personal overall experience with them and they weren't the bullet for me had much better results using the sst or the precision
    Iv had the same with eldx I find the tipped hunting bullets like to hit bone
    Woody and bigbear like this.

708 will get you to 500 yards, as will 308. You’d might be better off holding onto your 708 and investing in reloading gear. And/or upgrading optics if needed.
    Puffin and ZG47 like this.

Gun city in Richmond held reasonable stock of 7mm-08 last weekend when I was in there. I grabbed a few boxes to see me through.
    Shearer likes this.

My old 7mm08 tikka bushpig, with its 18inch barrel would regularly take goats and deer around 500 meters with the 162gr Amax and Eld-M.
    Longest kill shot being 602 meters.
    But that's with plenty of range time on steel
    Using Tapatalk