Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: semi auto 22

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Prosser View Post
    Ruger 10/22 is an oft quoted default setting. That said I have a pair of Stirling model 20s which have never let me down despite having a reputation for being cheap and cheerful. One I have had for over 30 years and it was second hand when I bought it.

22 mag isn't as easy to find in semi but I stumbled across a good Remington 597 in a shop in Gore some years back. They're not famous for accuracy but I haven't had problems with it in that regard.

Happy hunting :-)
    My Stirling M20P is fantastic. Must have shot thousands of rabbits with it over the last 13 years (was second hand then), and I have shot 187/200 with it at the indoor range in Hamilton. It feels good taking it to big dollar Rugers and PCP race guns lol.

They say the Ruger 10/22 is the best gun if/when there is a Zombie Apocalypse

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/new...calypse/28017/

Marlin 795 fan here too but there are tons of aftermarket options available for the Ruger and annoyingly little for Marlin. Also Ruger magazines are about half the price of Marlin ones from Reloaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Marlin 795 fan here too but there are tons of aftermarket options available for the Ruger and annoyingly little for Marlin. Also Ruger magazines are about half the price of Marlin ones from Reloaders.
    But you don't need as many mags for a Marlin; the first shot does what it should. Unlike the you need 10/22lr shots to hit something.

Can usually get them for $50-60 off TM.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
    Marlin - Out of the box accurate, reloading mag can be rough on city thumbs, SFA aftermarket bits (if you like modding). Horrible factory trigger.
    Ruger - Luck of the draw accuracy, nice mags, SHITLOADS (no, really, google that) of aftermarket bits. Even WORSE factory trigger.

Throw a scope on, go shooting - Marlin.
    If you like to tinker and fiddle - Ruger.

Both go bang, both are fun.
    Go to gunshop, find one that fits your shoulder and makes you weak at the knees. Thats the one you should buy
    nailed it maybe apart from the trigger bit my brothers marlins 795 trigger is an abomination my 10/22 aint half as bad. maybe luck of the draw?

also the ruger is differently better made the marlin bolt/ action seem cheap and nasty but boy is it accurate where as the 10/22 accuracy is rather average to say the least.....

Quote Originally Posted by Trevs View Post
    They say the Ruger 10/22 is the best gun if/when there is a Zombie Apocalypse

News - U.S. military has official plan in place for zombie apocalypse - The Weather Network
    ARs with no sights are better... according to The Walking Dead.

Toby and grunzter like this.

Duh is so the zombies can't see where your aiming!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
    GravelBen and Toby like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    ARs with no sights are better... according to The Walking Dead.

I like it later on when the same dude loses his right eye and still continues to shoot Righty, must be hard to aim through an eye patch

semi auto 22

So is the ruger accuracy really luck of the draw thing? I've found mine not very good and my mate got one same time and his shoots like a dream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep!
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Thanks all, i am also after a 22 semi, and the feedback here has proved helpful, and interesting...
    Currently i have a Savage & CZ bolt actions both of which have never missed a beat!

...looking at the Marlin 795, but will need to give it a good once over as it seems everything is a little hit and miss..
    Cheers Grant.
    Last edited by grunzter; 14-10-2014 at 07:34 PM.

Grant, look at the CZ semis.
    grunzter likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

I sold my 10/22 and after a heap of research and bought the marlin deluxe model 60.
    A really nicely finished rifle that is also bloody accurate.
    Go the marlin.
    I also looked at the cz semi as well which gets good reveiws as well.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Have tested most of the 22 semis fairly thoroughly on the bench, and we've had 6 rugers and maybe 10-12 marlins go through the closet - experimenting with different variants. Marlin definitely alot more accurate than ruger with all model 60s and 795s capable of sub half inch 5 shot groups at 50m at best. Importantly they will also average close to that for four group sets.

Did a semiautomatic 22 comparison 2-3 years ago for a magazine featuring a new Toz 99, a Ruger 10/22 (a mate's good one), a marlin model 795, and a 1997 model 60. On the bench ran them all through alot of ammo types to find preferred rounds , then drilled into those. Toz least accurate at round 1.5" for four group average, 10/22 managed average of 1.04" (other rugers all tested were all 1.25 to 2" average), marlin 795 averaged 0.59". Little 795 was a treat to come back to after trying to get groups from the others - and surprisingly it was also the most reliable over alot of rounds. I then matched the 795 against my own 1997 marlin model 60, but the 60 won easily with best group of 0.25" (5 shots) at 50m, and superb four group average of 0.29". In a more recent test of a new marlin 60DLX, this little semi also shot a best of 0.25" at 50m, and averaged 0.39". Exceptional. CCI Std velocity and CCI subs for paper, and CCI minimags and sometimes Win powerpoint for hunting. Critical to run their actions clean and nearly dry - one drop of oil on bolt only.

It is clear that marlin generally make very good rimfire barrels giving them consistent accuracy - sometimes at match rifle level.. On the other hand when we pulled apart the rugers to find causes for inaccuracy three key problems emerged. These were: improperly machined and loose chambers, loose barrel pinning, and barrels with poor rifling where in slug tests a 22 bullet would actually be quite loose in sections of the barrel when being pushed down its length. This is why rebarrelling is usually the solution to ruger inaccuracy - though you can shorten the chamber end and recreate new chamber and screw thread connection - IF the rifling is good along barrel.

Marlin 60DLX or 60 laminate SS would be the best value/performance semis from field and bench tests. Lovely wee rifles- very good long distance shooters with frequent sub 1.0" groups at 100m. Quite capable of beating the CZ semi off the bench. If people prefer box rather than tube mags then 795 a sound option. It is however an entry level rifle and action can benefit from a little wet and dry polishing. Rugers very hit and miss - nice wee carbine but if you like an accurate shooter you will be spending heaps on it to sharpen it before long.

Nice option is to get a wee blued 795, polish action and fit Mcarbo spring kit (drops trigger to 3.5lbs), then get a Boyds rimfire hunter stock:

Boyds: RIMFIRE HUNTER MARLIN® 795 CLIP FEED FACTORY BARREL CHANNEL STOCK NUTMEG LAMINATE (FINISHED) Rimfire Hunter

This gives the light 795 a nice weight/balance, the solid ruger look, plus marlin accuracy. Round $500 all up for a delightful wee modded 795.
    AzumitH, Bryan, Gerbs and 1 others like this.

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    It looks pretty clear then. You have two choices - look at a Marlin and the Ruger. I have a Ruger 10/22 and so did mates and I think I liked the look of it over the Marlin. I must have put 5000+ rounds through it. My son shoots it now. I bought a Browning .22 Lever Action so having fun with that with open sights.
    As mentioned above - see which one feels and fits best.