Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 6x47
  • 1 Post By gadgetman

Thread: Sending rifle(s) to the USA

Sending rifle(s) to the USA

Good evening,

It is looking like I will be living in the USA for some time and I would like to get a couple of my favorite rifles over here.

My beloved 22-250 for coyotes and other varmints and my CZ22 for squirrels and rabbits.

What is involved and is it even possible with me being a non-resident. That status is temporary as i will replace my current visa with a green card eventually.

Shit man looking at the price of them over there i would just buy new and keep them here.

Cooper rifles would be well worth looking into

looking at the arms code , you will need an export permit to get them there, and an import permit to bring them back here when your done
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

My understanding is you won't be able to legally own/purchase firearms until you have reached permanent resident/Green Card status.

Exporting from NZ is no worry - its free and you've just got to fill out the MFAT paperwork and go through the process. US Import Permits can be expensive (USD$500+) depending on which import agent you use, and you've still got to go through the process.

Your biggest problem will be finding someone that will ship it for you. Most freight companies won't touch anything to do with firearms. You might be able to find someone in Usa that will assist you. Won't be cheap though.

I would be you, I would fly with them to USA on that loonngg hunting trip you are going for.
    And you will come back with them, WHEN you come back ;-)
    Nothing stops you from taking a rifle over there for hunting.so you may as well make use of that privilege.

Buy new there and eventually bring it back. Simple!

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Sounds a bit crazy to me. Exporting a gun to the home of guns. I'd just buy new over there if you are allowed.
    Yeap,Coals to Newcastle(old folks saying)
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

You can not buy over there till you have at least 3 (or 6 months , I can't remember?) of residency . Getting your local driving licence will help as well as it is the document used by most gunshop to carry on the background check on you. If you ever have a CCW ( carry concealed weapon) ,it will bear the same number as your driving licence, which makes sense in a way and simplify things.

Because of my job I can own a firearm on my visa as they are deemed necessary for work they use my SSN for background checks.

I could buy the guns over here but the 22-250 in particular has sentimental value

I'd let practicality over-ride sentiment.

Can't believe how cheap stuff is over there and there are serious bargains in pawn shops. Americans were always amused at my demeanour - bit like a kid let loose in Santa's cave.
    Skatieguy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by .22-250 everything View Post
    Because of my job I can own a firearm on my visa as they are deemed necessary for work they use my SSN for background checks.

I could buy the guns over here but the 22-250 in particular has sentimental value
    Family here should be able to look after it and you can get reacquainted with it when you come home for visits and eventually return for good. Just don't get too hooked up with any of the locals over there.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Family here should be able to look after it and you can get reacquainted with it when you come home for visits and eventually return for good. Just don't get too hooked up with any of the locals over there.
    Oops...have already married one...

Quote Originally Posted by .22-250 everything View Post
    Oops...have already married one...
    Thought as much by the opening post! Congrats L.
    199p likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!