Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Shitty cheapish scope that you have hung onto

A ‘Count’ brand 4x32 from the 60’s.

The adjustments moved the crosshairs in the direction indicated instead of the point of impact, you could see the crosshairs move as you adjusted them.

It’s now a dust gatherer…
    Micky Duck likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

4x32 Miroku. It's now on a .22 that gets a hard life but still going strong.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Rather interesting isn't it. The common wisdom is that cheap scopes can't be reliable.
    bumblefoot and Micky Duck like this.

now many years ago ( and this brings up the recently retire richard wilhelm who i have the ultimate respect for) i sold a leupold scope and bought a japanese made tasco "world class" scope , from memory it was 3-9x50, 30mm unit.
    " why did you sell a leupold and buy a tasco!!! he asked.
    then he wandered outside his shop, grabbed my tasco alongside a really expensive german/austrian etc scope, pointed it towards the central city and it was a case of " now i know why"
    it was bloody awesome, then again it sat on top of a 10/22 that gundoc built for me and was a total a tack driver but too heavy for bunny blasting . the damn thing would do 18mm at 100m !!
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    Rather interesting isn't it. The common wisdom is that cheap scopes can't be reliable.
    Most scopes are reliable enough. Price usually reflect firstly fit and finish, then image quality, then mecanical precision/dialability, then features. If you dont mess with dialing and shoot it on a 308 five shots a year, even after 30 years it is only 150 rounds. Most scopes are expected to survive that.

We pay a premium for diminishing returns on optics.

I've got a Guncity 3-9 x 40 and a Niko Sterling Gameking 4-16 x 44 that are in my spare scope drawer.
    The only real reason I've hung on to them is they're not worth the effort of trying to sell.
    The GC 3-9 is ok to put on a new rifle till a better scope comes along but I find the gameking is like looking through a coke bottle.
    I also have an NC star scout scope, didn't like the concept so thats gone in the drawer till later on as well. Maybe I'm just a hoarder of crap things?
    Micky Duck likes this.

4x40 Tasco from the early 90's. Been on a .303,.270, 6.5x55 and a few .22's. Been on the Toz .22 since 1998 and never missed a beat. Clarity of glass is incredible for the price. Shot thousands of rabbits etc with it over the years.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Another Miroku 4x32 owner came with a 7x57 Ruger I bought in 1980 dropped it on a rock in the blue mountains when sling parted ways , has a big ding in it but still good as, now sits on a baikal 30.06 that never gets used

Greetings All,
    A Tasco 2.5x32 that I bought in the late 1970's for my Rem 700 .308. It was used for years including NZDA target shooting and I shot my first deer looking through it. It has also been on my Ruger 10-22 and most recently was briefly on my .308 Bergara single shot until a horrified friend loaned me a Leupold 1.5 to 5 that he thought was more suitable. It is not done yet.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Tasco 4-32 on my Russian Toz got it when I was about 10 so had it about 48 years still going strong.
    I even used it as a pattern to make a brass trophy for our local nzda so it was rammed into sand to form the cavity that the brass was poured into.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk