Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Short barrel magnum calibres?

How do you find it on factory shelf loads?

I hunt with a Sako Finnlight 20-1/2 inch 300Saum. 155 Scenars doing 3100 using 2208. Fitted a Tikka ejector which throws the cases out better than it ever did as a factory 243.
    Tahr likes this.

Gkp
    Love my 20 inch 7mm saum
    Many years ago Robbie Tiffen cut a 7mm rem mag down and re reamed it to a 7mm wsm, probably the most accurate rifle I have ever owned.
    Could be a good way to go if you could get a Smith to do this for you
    superdiver likes this.

My 7mm saum has an 18inch barrel, throwing 150 bergers @ 3000 is fps. Ragged holes at 100.

My 19 inch 300wsm is certainly no hot rod but with a very mild load (2782fps) it'll consistently put 3 x 178gn eldms in a ragged 1 hole group with ease.
    Same load 2.75" group at 500y in less than ideal conditions
    Pleasure to shoot and carry with the suppressor and more than enough poke for what I use it for
    #DANNYCENT

Caretaker
    Used a couple of model 7 7mmsaum cut to 16 inch

3000fps with 140 AB or NBT

Factory mod 7 saum barrels shortened often return exceptional accuracy that they lacked at their factory length
    caberslash likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by SMLK14 View Post
    Stagstalker, how do you find your cut down Rem mag on factory shelf ammo?
    I’d say they’d still hold epic accuracy just slow down some what . For reference a buddy of mines 22” or 21” I can’t remember 7rem mag is doing 2950 with 162 eldx and 2217 hand loads I’d imagen the of the shelf would be slower

Talk about a thread revival

T.T
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzh View Post
    I hunt with a Sako Finnlight 20-1/2 inch 300Saum. 155 Scenars doing 3100 using 2208. Fitted a Tikka ejector which throws the cases out better than it ever did as a factory 243.
    Hey @Dazzh that sounds like a real problem solver�� Who fitted the tikka ejector for you. Any chance of a photo of the bolt face?
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by T.T View Post
    Hey @Dazzh that sounds like a real problem solver�� Who fitted the tikka ejector for you. Any chance of a photo of the bolt face?
    Yeah it certainly works better than the factory setup! I fitted it myself, it was a bit of a guessing game as to where exactly to locate it for best ejection and you are limited by the recoil lug positioning. I also ended up making a new pin so as to have it protrude forward of the bolt face about 25 thou; to much and the case gets hooked up on it, too little and it doesn't throw the shells quite so well. Also opened up the face to accept the SAUM case and packed under the extractor.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    T.T and caberslash like this.

Just curious is there anyone in NZ that would/could fit dual ejectors on an a7 bolt ?
    Same issue with my a7, have seen on usa forums dual ejectors fitted as a solution as it seems to force the brass to eject more horizontally so it doesn't hit the bottom of the scope and fall back into the action ? Although you never loose your brass which at $4.30 a piece isn't a bad thing
    caberslash and Dazzh like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Just curious is there anyone in NZ that would/could fit dual ejectors on an a7 bolt ?
    Same issue with my a7, have seen on usa forums dual ejectors fitted as a solution as it seems to force the brass to eject more horizontally so it doesn't hit the bottom of the scope and fall back into the action ? Although you never loose your brass which at $4.30 a piece isn't a bad thing

I can’t see why not @dannyb lots of smiths are fitting the sako style to the rem bolts gunworks is probably the outfit to speak to could be worth asking next time your stopping by
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Might not happen but keep in mind more aggressive ejection could cause the case necks to be dented on the inside of the action (not that I consider this to be a problem, but some treat their cases with more care than a newborn child... )
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    Might not happen but keep in mind more aggressive ejection could cause the case necks to be dented on the inside of the action (not that I consider this to be a problem, but some treat their cases with more care than a newborn child... )
    I anneal my wsm cases every time, not worried about dented necks, far less force exerted than firing off 60k psi
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Used a couple of model 7 7mmsaum cut to 16 inch

3000fps with 140 AB or NBT

Factory mod 7 saum barrels shortened often return exceptional accuracy that they lacked at their factory length
    Mag fit loads?