Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: shortest length for a 270

Quote Originally Posted by Matt2308 View Post
    If your going to shoot a .270 past 400 you should consider something like the SST or Accubond with a high BC. Factory ammo using these bullets is expensive so you probably want to consider reloading too and using 22" barrel as a minimum.
    incorrrect, would not use the accubond, just because of its b.c doesnt mean its a good killer at lower speeds eg longer ranges
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Sort of. There not bad with a stoutly loaded 140sst or 150 berger. 600 yards easy. Mid range. But yea for what they are a 7mm mag is leaps and bounds ahead in pill selection and performance for a small gain in recoil.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    7mm-Mag likes this.

Or a 7mm08 for real similar recoil but waaaay better

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Or a 7mm08 for real similar recoil but waaaay better
    I'll get a 7mm-08 when hell freezes over.
    Timmay likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

I love the fact gimp.is promoting a 7mm08. Not long and he will suggest one in tikka

Quote Originally Posted by horihunter View Post
    I love the fact gimp.is promoting a 7mm08. Not long and he will suggest one in tikka
    I don't see why it's unusual? It's a sensible calibre and I've been pro-7mm08 since forever.

.270 is actually perfectly fine, you can push the 150 Berger pretty fast.

The 7mm08 will be slightly more efficient from a shorter barrel and there's more than 1-2 decent bullets to choose from, although .277" bullets are only going to get better from here

If you chose and efficient bullet, like a 150gr Berger, and got it leaving the tube between 2700-2850fps, it would be very capable as an LR rig. Problem is you will be using a good amount of pretty slow burning powder to fill up that big case, which rules out chopping the tube back. Your wallet will get raped if you buy factory ammo that has a half decent projectile loaded, and the cheaper (I use that term loosely) factory ammo just plain sucks balls if you do anything more than bush hunting. The 130gr Federal Power Shok load was my go to factory load for .270 when I thought it was the only round worth considering. It looks like it is loaded with a pistol bullet and probably has a similar BC to boot. It did anchor deer though, boiler room shots were catastrophic. See the light and get a milder round that shoots better bullets.

Hi guys, dont want to 'hijack' this thread, does the same apply to '25-06 cal'?

i.e. what would be the 'best' round for factory ammo for this cal, for both bush & LR hunting?
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Hi guys, dont want to 'hijack' this thread, does the same apply to '25-06 cal'?

i.e. what would be the 'best' round for factory ammo for this cal, for both bush & LR hunting?
    Same issue as .270 - Over bored, requires a big charge of slow burning powder to get good load density and speed, poor selection of bullets

I have 2 mates one has a 25-06 the other a .270 they both always say they are really flat shooting. Is this real or just they made that up based on they think its flat shooting because of the huge shell
    VIVA LA HOWA

Because it's a big arse round flicking a small light weight bullet out of the muzzle, so they think there will be "less drop". That might be true out to like 300 yards, which isn't long range shooting.

Flat shooting is really a myth. All modern calibers will be within a couple of inches of drop from each other at 300. Its after 4-500 that good bc comes into play thats were the 277 & 257 fall off. Bullet drop is a non event once you start dialing. There are super dooper over bores that make bullets hum like the weatherby 257 magnum ect and they will be ever so slightly flatter shooting but its really a moot point. The 25/06 and 270 are fine rounds that kill deer dead but they are being made redundant ballisticly by bullet makers not upping their games in said cals.

Grim, dogmatix, 7mmsaum and 1 others like this.

The best long range factory laod for the 25/06 is the hornady 117sst superformance. Or winchester 115 grain ballistic tips. I prefer the first

7mmsaum likes this.

Flat shooting is not "A Real Thing" and it is silly old person talk from before anyone knew anything. Much like "an accurate calibre" and so forth.

yes disclaimer benchrest blah blah blah no-one cares
    7mmsaum likes this.

Big thanks guys............sorry to admit it, but 300 yards is 'long range' to me!!!!!!!!....would only try that prone or using a tree branch as a rest!!!!!!!
    SiB likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt