Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Seventy Six
  • 2 Post By Kelton
  • 1 Post By Staffnurse41

Thread: Should i swap mw Swaro z3 for vx5

Should i swap mw Swaro z3 for vx5

I’ve been using a z3 for last couple of years it has performed brilliantly I’ve managed deer out to 650yds with a 308, (well I did get one on the run through the head at 780yds but that’s a story for another day) it has held zero from day 1 and never given me an issue, in this time me and friends have shot around 50animals, I purchased a new Vx5 not long after and have always meant to change but just haven’t been able to justify the swap… I prefer tops hunting and shoot a lot at 300-500yds the z3 is pushed at these distances for zoom and clarity which the Vx5 has it slightly beaten on (IMO) which is the reason for the swap.

What do you experienced folks think??? I’m bloody torn on this one, I’d love to go past the 650yds..

I had a shot in weekend at 520yds which I couldn’t take as it was raining hard and I struggled to pick up the deer in scope but could see it reasonably well in my Leica 3200binos that’s why I’m seriously considering the swap now.

I'd stick with it, your used to it it fulfills your requirements I'm not certain that you'll get more from the swap except maybe a psychological advantage

The obvious answer is to buy another rifle for the Z5.

@duckndeer what model Z3 are you referring to please?

Thanks for reply’s really appreciated, 4-12x50 bt

Quote Originally Posted by duckndeer View Post
    I’ve managed deer out to 650yds with a 308, (well I did get one on the run through the head at 780yds but that’s a story for another day).
    Well, I for one don't want to hear it... as it sounds like an irresponsible shot that wouldn't stand up to the ethical hunting principles most hunters possess.

If you do however take these long-range shots I would suggest the VX5 as you need more than 12x at highest power.

My personal opinion with my eyes:
    12x for deer out to 400m. 14x to 500m. 16x to 600m. 18x to 700m (all bring the deer to the equivalent of 33 - 40 yds).
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

I shot at a deer in a 15mph wind @ 400yds and hit its neck missing any arteries or the spine, it ran along a scree and dipped every step so it was obviously injured, I shot 3 more rounds and missed each one then I was past max dial so my mate called my last shot 1m low so I aimed one meter above animal and 1 meter ahead of it and the rest was history. I would have been gutted to leave it injured. I’ve spent a lot of time learning to shoot and really want a light weight all purpose rig. Murf precision rifles has built one hell of a rifle I use.

Thanks for recommendations, definitely keen to try Vx5!

I’d certainly do the swap the vx5 is a blimen good scope and the zoom is better suited to your application iv comfortably shot animals at 800 yards with my last one am about to get another you will get more elevation with the leupy
    superdiver and dannyb like this.

I own both & to my eyes the optical performance of Swaro is better, clarity & low light performance. The advantage of VX5 is 15x top end vs 12x on Swaro. It may depend on the reticle choice in VX5 as some seem a bit heavy or thick which detracts from precise aiming at long ranges. The Leupy wins on dial up capability with the ZL2 turrets giving plenty of dial up. But you can replace the standard one turn BT on the Swaro with a after market 2 turn turret. That gives you 28 moa come up. More than you will ever need. So then it comes back to what suits your eyes best.

I’m wondering how the Leupold entered the discussion and you didn’t buy a Swarovski Z5 3.5x18? Seems to me you have had an amazing run with the Z3
    mattstr likes this.