Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Single Shot Rifles - Blaser & Merkel

thought it mustve been...tis a lovely wee rifle that one.
    there is something special about single shot weapons,look forward to seeing what you end up with.

the other one I really have hankering for...take Bakail 223 and ream it to .22hp Savage now that would be very different and with the tighter .224 barrel the options projectile wise are endless,the origonal was a 80grn loading so right up there with new stuff...pretty sure simply swapping out die button would give correct enough neck tension to work properly.seeing thread of sixty tens where he has changed bakail to 45/70 shows the possibilities are endless with that platform.
    timattalon likes this.

If you still have a connection to Austria then buying a tidy kipplauf via Europe would be good option.

There is often a pretty big selection of some stunning stuff on Egun.de . I would do a bit of research on Rifles other than the two you mentioned, there was a plethora of provincial gunmakers in westeren Europe pre WW2, you can buy some magnificent arms for a fraction of the cost of a Blaser or Merkel.

Here are some

Austrian Gunmakers – German Hunting Guns
    Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    I have just done a count up and realised I have 17 single shot rifles and 4 bolt action rifles
    So I guess I'm a single shot guy through and through

4 Muzzleloaders
    5 Falling blocks
    2 Martinis
    2 Rolling blocks
    4 Kipplaufs
    This post is worthless without multiple photos
    jakewire, timattalon and Shamus_ like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    This post is worthless without multiple photos
    That sounds like hard work

If you trawl through some of my posts you will see a few of the vintage ones

but I can give you some calibers

.45 FL
    .50 ML
    .52 ML
    .72 ML
    .22 LR x 2
    .22 WMR project
    .22 Hornet
    .22 K Hornet
    6.8 SPC Work in progress and should be functional tomorrow
    375 Win
    45-70 in process of rebore and cut rifling
    50-70
    500 BPE
    Rolling block in 8x58R process of re barrel to 38-55

and the 6.5x65R K95

Had a play with a Merkel K5 a few weeks ago. Went to my dealer with the intention of buying it, but it didn't win me over.

The aluminum receiver felt a bit cheap and gave the impression it would scratch/gauge easily. Aluminum doesn't wear as nicely as blued steel, nor can it be retouched as easily as blued steel (the K5 is either nitrided or anodized). I don't mind scratches and nicks, but there's a difference between something ageing gracefully, and looking trashed.

Despite the steep price ($7800) it still felt like a factory made gun (which it is - both the action and stock are CNC'd). It didn't have the heft or character of something that's been hand-built. It was beautiful to look at, but it had the soul of a Tikka T3, and felt far too fragile (I suspect the aluminum components contributed to this).

The trigger was nice and crisp, but it had a fair bit of over-travel, and from what I understand, this is not user-adjustable.

I have quite small hands (being a Hobbit) and the trigger-to-grip length was also a little too long for me.

The other potential issue is sourcing replacement barrels. These Euro manufacturers have a habit of phasing out rifles, and when that happens, good luck sourcing spare components. What would you do if you buggered the barrel (for whatever reason)? Probably not as straight forward as taking your bolt action to your smith to have a new barrel screwed on. Blaser seem to be more customer-service oriented than Merkel and have a larger presence in NZ, so between the Merkel K5 and Blaser K95, the Blaser would be the safer option.

If I was going to buy a single-shot rifle, I'd save some more and buy a top quality, all-steel firearm from one of the smaller European builders (i.e the Ferlach gunmakers). There are plenty of 2nd hand rifles on the market that were built by some of the top gunmakers when they were younger/not as established. Guys who are now charging upwards of $50k for a rifle. These early rifles are not particularly ornate, but they're solid, well made, no-nonsense tools.
    Last edited by Frodo; 24-07-2021 at 06:54 PM.
    Seventenths and trapperjohn like this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    If you still have a connection to Austria then buying a tidy kipplauf via Europe would be good option.

There is often a pretty big selection of some stunning stuff on Egun.de . I would do a bit of research on Rifles other than the two you mentioned, there was a plethora of provincial gunmakers in westeren Europe pre WW2, you can buy some magnificent arms for a fraction of the cost of a Blaser or Merkel.

Here are some

Bring me one next time you come back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Seventenths likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post

Here are some

Still have family there who are licensed hunters so that is another option and time will tell when we can get back over with the way Covid is going. One place i'd love to visit is Ferlach in southern Austria whihc is ritch in gunmakers.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Had a play with a Merkel K5 a few weeks ago. Went to my dealer with the intention of buying it, but it didn't win me over.

The aluminum receiver felt a bit cheap and gave the impression it would scratch/gauge easily. Aluminum doesn't wear as nicely as blued steel, nor can it be retouched as easily as blued steel (the K5 is either nitrided or anodized). I don't mind scratches and nicks, but there's a difference between something ageing gracefully, and looking trashed.

Despite the steep price ($7800) it still felt like a factory made gun (which it is - both the action and stock are CNC'd). It didn't have the heft or character of something that's been hand-built. It was beautiful to look at, but it had the soul of a Tikka T3, and felt far too fragile (I suspect the aluminum components contributed to this).

The trigger was nice and crisp, but it had a fair bit of over-travel, and from what I understand, this is not user-adjustable.

I have quite small hands (being a Hobbit) and the trigger-to-grip length was also a little too long for me.

The other potential issue is sourcing replacement barrels. These Euro manufacturers have a habit of phasing out rifles, and when that happens, good luck sourcing spare components. What would you do if you buggered the barrel (for whatever reason)? Probably not as straight forward as taking your bolt action to your smith to have a new barrel screwed on. Blaser seem to be more customer-service oriented than Merkel and have a larger presence in NZ, so between the Merkel K5 and Blaser K95, the Blaser would be the safer option.

If I was going to buy a single-shot rifle, I'd save some more and buy a top quality, all-steel firearm from one of the smaller European builders (i.e the Ferlach gunmakers). There are plenty of 2nd hand rifles on the market that were built by some of the top gunmakers when they were younger/not as established. Guys who are now charging upwards of $50k for a rifle. These early rifles are not particularly ornate, but they're solid, well made, no-nonsense tools.
    Absolutely totally disagree with most of this post
    Based on handling a Merkel
    Well I have owned and used a K95 for over a decade
    The aluminum used is aluminium only in name
    Far superior to many metals
    Has not marked in any way different to the best high carbon steel
    The receivers on Blasers and Merkels are not stressed like on conventional rifles and their taste can not be compared
    The breech block locks into the barrel extension and is as strong as a bolt action

Yes second hand pre and post war European kipplaufs are good value but they do not use this locking system and suffer from having to use the traditionally lightly loaded rimmed ammunition

APPLE'S AND PEARS

And European hunters use their rifles in a fundamentally different way
    They are cabinet queens and a status symbol
    A long walk is to a tree stand or shooting position

If you want a quality single shot kipplauf NZ hunting rifle buy a modern well made Blaser or Merkel

If you want a status symbol still buy a Blaser or Merkel but don't take it hunting

Ask anyone who owns one
    Dreamer, tikka, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.

T.T
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post

Wow , you must have owned and used a lot kipplaufs (new and old) to be so knowledgeable on the subject.
    Shamus_ likes this.

I’ve used a mates Merkel K3 in 7x57 and it’s one of the lightest rifles I’ve ever handled.
    Micky Duck likes this.

There are some quite nice falling block rifles you can take a look at too.

Its really only indigenous people who are rougher on their sporting guns than Kiwis in my experience.

Western European hunting is largely as Akaroa has described with some exceptions, you can find kipplaufs in higher preasure cartridges made pre and post war,I guess it depends on what your goals with the Rifle is?
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

I am looking at a single shot takedown myself, currently Wolverine sports in Canada, has just got in 6-7 Merkel K5,(6.5x57, .270, 7x65 etc) few Blaser k95 about,
    A K95 deluxe used, in 7x65 has popped up, debating hard about this.
    Ive got a few nice single shots, Ruger #1 in 30-30 and 219 zipper, and copper single shots in 20 vartarg and 6x47 rem,
    K95 I think is more appealing, as there is the odd spare barrel about, Epps currently has 3 spare barrels, not cheap thought.
    Hannel also makes a takedown single shot, Fair makes rifles, on shot gun frame, including a kipplauf on there 28gr frame. both these are a bit cheaper than K5, K95.
    Winchester is making the low wall again aviable in 22 hornet to 6.5 creed, Ive got a .22 hornet on order,
    jakewire likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    Absolutely totally disagree with most of this post
    Based on handling a Merkel
    Well I have owned and used a K95 for over a decade
    The aluminum used is aluminium only in name
    Far superior to many metals
    Has not marked in any way different to the best high carbon steel
    The receivers on Blasers and Merkels are not stressed like on conventional rifles and their taste can not be compared
    The breech block locks into the barrel extension and is as strong as a bolt action

Yes second hand pre and post war European kipplaufs are good value but they do not use this locking system and suffer from having to use the traditionally lightly loaded rimmed ammunition

APPLE'S AND PEARS

And European hunters use their rifles in a fundamentally different way
    They are cabinet queens and a status symbol
    A long walk is to a tree stand or shooting position

If you want a quality single shot kipplauf NZ hunting rifle buy a modern well made Blaser or Merkel

If you want a status symbol still buy a Blaser or Merkel but don't take it hunting

Ask anyone who owns one
    We'll have to agree to disagree, then.

The Jaeger block is used in some fully-steel Kipplaufs as well. And the Blaser K95, from what I understand, can also be had in a steel receiver (albeit it's very expensive).

As I said, I wanted to like the K5 and was prepared to buy it (and I love the concept of a take-down singleshot) but it didn't satisfy MY tastes (prefer steel in traditional firearms) - so for anyone who is looking at buying one, try one before you front up the $$. There's nothing 'wrong' with the alloy used in the K5 and K95's, but it does create a different feeling firearm which may or may not be to your liking.

Honestly I think the K95 are great wee rifles , there are more of these in the country than you would think and you seldom see one for sale second hand which tells you something ,and it does not look out of place next to some much older firearms @Frodo
    Name:  8CE9E10C-925F-4B24-9ED0-F97CE0D31958.jpeg
Views: 1019
Size:  2.67 MB
    ebf, Moa Hunter, Frodo and 1 others like this.